Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/30/2011 4:27:37 AM

Hi Myrna,

Glad you liked the Bread my Friend. It really is one of the simplest I've ever made and it's also one of the yummiest!

Here's one that you might also like. We made this recipe for the kids at Vacation Bible School this past Summer and used strawberry or grape jam to fill them. I still make them, except that now I use Smuckers Sugar Free Raspberry and Blueberry Jam to fill them. These loaves are really just like pita bread, but they're rolled into a square shape.

Pocket Bread

Ingredients

• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 6 cups bread flour
  • 1 tablespoon salt

Directions

1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with the 3 cups flour and the salt. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 10 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
  3. Divide the dough into sixteen equal pieces and form into rounds. Roll rounds into square loaves 1/4 inch thick. Place the on ungreased baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 4 to 5 minutes, until loaves puff in the middle. Let cool on a wire rack.

Yield: 16 Pieces

Have A Blessed Evening My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
1/30/2011 5:58:25 PM
Thanks for the invitation.

Crock pot recipes are great. You get to eat healthy and free up time.
Taking Care From foot cream to self esteem and beyond. http://takingcare.ws Email: lillie@takingcare.ws
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/31/2011 12:11:05 AM

Hi Lillie,

So good to see you here at the Forum my Friend. Hope that you'll stop by often, and please feel free to share a favorite recipe or two, if you like. Yes, I enjoy my Crock Pot for the convenience, and I still enjoy cooking the Old Fashioned way from time to time for Family Dinners and such, especially on Weekends, when time is not a problem. Many of the Recipes can be prepared by either method with a little modification here and there. For example, the Slow Cooker version of this evening's Pot Roast can be found by clicking over over here at Healthy Crockpot Recipes.

Never be intimidated by the time it takes to prepare a good pot roast. After you get it simmering, it requires little attention. For a busy weekday meal, make it the night before, and simply reheat the next day. It will taste even better. Thicken drippings as desired to make gravy.

Cola Pot Roast

Ingredients

• 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
  • 1 cup cola-flavored carbonated beverage
  • 1 packet dry spaghetti sauce mix
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 3/4 cup chopped celery
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 3 pounds beef chuck roast
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions

1. In a large bowl, break up tomatoes in their juice. Stir in cola, spaghetti sauce mix, onion, celery, salt, and garlic salt. Stir until spaghetti sauce mix is dissolved.
  2. In a Dutch oven, over medium high heat, brown meat in oil about 10 minutes on each side. Drain off all fat. Pour tomato mixture over meat. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer slowly for about 2 1/2 hours, or until meat is tender.

Wishing You All A Great Week Ahead,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/4/2011 11:23:47 PM

Hello My Friends,

Once again, it's back to Basics, Meat & Taters, at least partly so. This meat loaf has green pepper, green onions, and sliced mushrooms in the ground beef, and is topped with ketchup and brown sugar.

Divine Meatloaf

Ingredients

• 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 bunch green onions, diced
  • 4 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 4 ounces saltine crackers, finely crushed
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 (1.25 ounce) package beef with onion soup mix
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, green pepper, green onion, mushrooms and saltine crackers. Stir in the eggs and the beef with onion soup mix; mix thoroughly.
  3. Press mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  4. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the ketchup, yellow mustard and brown sugar. Mix thoroughly and pour over the meat mixture, spreading evenly.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.

My Family all loved these potatoes. I have also used this recipe for double stuffed potatoes, even better. They have a nice bite without being too much.

Chipotle Smashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons softened butter
  • 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and allow to steam dry for a minute or two.
  2. Return the potatoes to the pot, and mash with the black pepper, salt, butter, chipotle peppers, and garlic until smooth. Fold in the Cheddar cheeses, mayonnaise, heavy cream, and cilantro until the cheeses have melted.

I wasn't sure I'd like it, but loved it! I put the steamed broccoli in a bowl and tossed with the sauce immediately before serving. Wonderful and simple. If in a pinch, you could probably use frozen broccoli too, but I haven't tried.

Broccoli with Garlic Butter and Cashews

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds fresh broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 teaspoons white vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup chopped salted cashews

Directions

1. Place the broccoli into a large pot with about 1 inch of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes, or until tender but still crisp. Drain, and arrange broccoli on a serving platter.
  2. While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix in the brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, pepper and garlic. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat. Mix in the cashews, and pour the sauce over the broccoli. Serve immediately.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/6/2011 7:18:30 PM
Hello Friends,

Hope you're ready to cheer on your Favorite 'cause Tody is the Big Day! These nachos can be served as a meal, but all the good stuff in them also makes for a great appetizer or snack while watching the Big Game or later as a quick lunch for your family and friends. Better plan on making at least two plates of these, they're really good! Serve with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole, and I like to fix the Cheese Sauce below to go with them as well.

Over the Top Nachos

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 (16 ounce) can refried beans
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) package tortilla chips
  • 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, sliced

Directions

1. In a large frying pan, brown ground beef with onion, salt and pepper over medium heat. Break the meat into very small pieces while it is cooking. After the meat is thoroughly cooked, drain off the grease.
  2. Arrange chips on a microwavable platter. Spread beans over the chips. Layer with 1/2 of the cheese, the ground beef mixture, and remaining cheese. Arrange jalapeno peppers on top.
  3. Microwave on medium-high until cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
Here's a simple cheese sauce to spread over tortilla chips. I used mild Cheddar cheese and added some chili, garlic, and onion powder. Add some jalapenos to spice things up a bit.

Nacho Cheese Sauce

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 7 slices processed American cheese
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Pour in the milk and stir until the mixture thickens. Stirring constantly, mix in cheese and salt. Continue to cook and stir until cheese has melted and all ingredients are well blended, about 15 minutes.

Have A Great "Super Sunday" My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!