Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/22/2011 11:36:49 PM

Hello My Friends,

While many have heard of Veal Scallopini, you can make this Italian dish with almost any meat and a mushroom-lemon sauce with capers. The trick is to use a demi-glace of the same style. You can 'fake' a demi-glace by reducing an appropriate brown stock and adding a water and flour slurry to thicken. Remember, Valentines Day is coming soon. and this makes an awesome romantic dinner for two.

Chicken Scallopini

Ingredients

• 1 clove garlic, pressed
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
  • 20 capers, or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 2 tablespoons chicken-flavored demi-glace, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley, or to taste
  • 2 lemon slices

Directions

1. In a small bowl, stir together the garlic and butter until well combined. Set aside. Place a chicken breast half on a work surface with the thick side facing to the right (if you're right-handed), and place your left hand down on the chicken breast. Using a very sharp knife, carefully cut the chicken breast from the thick side to about 1/2 inch from the edge of the thin side, in a horizontal cut. Open the cut chicken breast and spread it out like an open book. Using a meat mallet, gently pound the butterflied chicken breast out until it's an even thickness.
  2. Place the flour into a shallow dish, and dredge each chicken breast on both sides with flour. Melt the garlic butter in a large skillet over medium heat until it stops foaming, and cook each chicken breast until golden brown on both sides, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Sprinkle each breast with salt and pepper. Remove the chicken breasts to a platter, and keep warm.
  3. Cook and stir the mushrooms in the same skillet as the chicken until the mushrooms have absorbed the remaining butter in the skillet and have begun to turn brown at the edges. Stir in capers, lemon juice, white wine, and chicken demi-glace, and stir to combine. Reduce to a simmer. Adjust salt and pepper again, and stir the parsley into the sauce.
  4. Remove the chicken breasts to plates, and serve the sauce over the chicken. Garnish each serving with a lemon slice.

Every meal can be enhanced with a few Potatoes and since my family loves potatoes, I fix them many different ways. This tasty version is one of our favorites. Well-seasoned with garlic, thyme, nutmeg and rosemary, plus balsamic vinegar, these potatoes are sure to stand out at any meal.

Balsamic Roasted Red Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
  • 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped green onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes, onion and garlic; toss to combine. Add the thyme, rosemary and nutmeg; toss well. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until potatoes are hot.
  2. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are golden and almost tender. Add the vinegar, salt and pepper; toss well. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender.

Finally, this delicious recipe will turn anyone into an asparagus lover, even those who once turned up their noses at asparagus. It's perfect with either pork or poultry.

Parmesan Asparagus

Ingredients

• 15 medium fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions

1. Brush asparagus spears with oil; place on a baking sheet coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 6 minutes; turn asparagus. Bake 6 minutes longer or until asparagus is tender. Combine Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; sprinkle over asparagus.

Have A Bright & Beautiful Sunday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/23/2011 7:42:39 PM
Hello My Friends,

This recipe originally came from a good friend who runs a Bed-and-Breakfast. This creamy potato soup recipe has since become a winter favorite around my house. Add a dash of hot sauce a little basil give it a little special flavor.

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients

• 3 bacon strips, diced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
  • Shredded Cheddar cheese
  • Minced fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

I usually serve this along with some Honey Whole Wheat Bread for the bread machine. This bread is very tasty.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

Ingredients

• 1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1/3 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

Directions

1. Add ingredients according to the manufacturer's directions to your bread machine. Use the wheat bread cycle and light color setting.

Yields (1) One-Pound Loaf

Wishing You A Wonderful Week To Come,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/23/2011 8:09:14 PM

Just a little diversion Phil.

I have discovered a shop that sells some American food products.

My granddaughter was desperate for some "Fluffnutter" having had a friend who had given her some. I got some Rum/butterscotch Lifesavers too. Yum.

We purchased some Betty Crocker mixes (which are available in uk but not in variety). We bought a moist carrot cake mix and a Pound Cake mix which is similar to our Madiera cake. I know they are cheating but they are very good.

I FOUND SOME PUMPKIN so Pumpkin pie is about to be created. I'll let you know the result.

Have a good week everyone.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/23/2011 11:57:28 PM

Hi Roger,

Great to see you here my Friend. As you may remember, I love Pumpkin, so I'm really looking forward to hearing about how your Pumpkin Pie turns out. Since you mentioned your Grandaughter, here's a little something that I make for my Nephews & Nieces, that I bet she would like as well.

I make these the night before and bake them in the morning. My family and friends can't stay out of them. They are very moist and decadently rich. They are really not as difficult to make as they sound, just takes some patience, but they are well worth the effort.

Cinnamon Rolls

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 cups dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 tablespoons milk

Directions

1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Mix in the butter; stir until melted. Add water and let cool until lukewarm.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the milk mixture, yeast, white sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour; stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
  3. Divide dough into two pieces. Roll each piece into a 12x9 inch rectangle. In a bowl, stir together the cinnamon and brown sugar. Spread each piece with half of the butter, half of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Roll up dough, using a little water to seal the seam.
  4. Cut each roll into 12 slices using a very sharp knife or dental floss. Place rolls onto two 9x13 inch greased baking pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
  6. To make frosting; combine confectioner's sugar, cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add milk gradually until frosting reaches a spreading consistency. Spread over warm (but not hot) cinnamon rolls.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/24/2011 11:57:22 PM
Hello My Friends,

Folks, I'll admit it! I'm tired of Winter! Ready for some Grilling out on the Back Yard! So, once again this evening, we'll start off with some Healthier Turkey Burgers. However, we spice these up just a bit with a little chipotle chile pepper, mozzarella cheese, and other seasonings, so that I'll guarantee that your family will absolutely love this spicy, yet flavorful, burger

Spicy Chipotle Turkey Burgers

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 4 slices mozzarella cheese
  • 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted

Directions

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil grate. Place the ground turkey, onion, cilantro, chipotle chile pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, and black pepper in a mixing bowl; mix well. Form into 4 patties.
  2. Cook the hamburgers on the preheated grill until the turkey is no longer pink in the center, about 4 minutes per side. Place the mozzarella slices on the patties 2 minutes before they are ready. Serve on the toasted homemade buns.

Compliment those Burgers, with a wonderful old-fashioned baked beans recipe that has been around my family for over 30 years, and originally came from one of my my mother-in-laws. Although you need to allow time for soaking and simmering the beans, this recipe is still quite easy.

Boston Baked Beans

Ingredients

• 2 cups navy beans
  • 1/2 pound bacon
  • 1 onion, finely diced
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar

Directions

1. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Simmer the beans in the same water until tender, approximately 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the liquid.
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  3. Arrange the beans in a 2 quart bean pot or casserole dish by placing a portion of the beans in the bottom of dish, and layering them with bacon and onion.
  4. In a saucepan, combine molasses, salt, pepper, dry mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and pour over beans. Pour in just enough of the reserved bean water to cover the beans. Cover the dish with a lid or aluminum foil.
  5. Bake for 3 to 4 hours in the preheated oven, until beans are tender. Remove the lid about halfway through cooking, and add more liquid if necessary to prevent the beans from getting too dry.

To complete your meal, I would suggest these homemade Hamburger Buns. The dough setting on my bread machine makes it easy to prepare fresh rolls in a variety of shapes. We especially like these hamburger buns that are golden, tender and flavorful.

Ranch Hamburger Buns

Ingredients.

• 1/2 cup water (70 to 80 degrees F)
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 egg
  • 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ranch salad dressing mix
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

EGG WASH:

• 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • Poppyseeds or sesame seeds (optional)

Directions

1. In bread machine pan, place the first 10 ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
  2. When the cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly greased surface. Cut into 12 pieces; shape each into a round ball. Place in greased jumbo muffin cups or 4-1/2-in. disposable aluminum foil pans. (If using foil pans, place on two baking sheets.)
  3. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk together egg and water. Brush over buns; sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds if desired. Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

Have A Marvelous Monday My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!