Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
11/7/2010 3:52:46 AM

Hi Donna,

Around my house, the Noon Meal was Dinner and the Evening Meal was Supper. I always told everyone, they could call me anything they liked, except late for either one.

Glad you liked the Turkey recipe. I've fixed it that way on several occasions, and there's never been a whole lot of leftovers, so everybody must have liked it.

Here's a little something different, just in case you're ever tired of Turkey. It's sweet, tangy, and very easy. The sauce is also good with chicken instead of pork. The last one we had I served it with rice and some homemade onion rings.

Slow Cooker Cranberry Pork

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) can cranberry sauce
  • 1/3 cup French salad dressing
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 1 (3-4 pound) boneless pork loin roast

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, stir together the cranberry sauce, salad dressing, and onion. Place pork in a slow cooker, and cover with the sauce mixture.
  2. Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours, or on Low for 8 hours. Pork is done when the internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F.

Have A Wonderful Weekend My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/10/2010 9:21:01 PM
Hello My Friends,

Here a favorite of mine that I fixed just this past week. It's a warm, comforting, creamy soup with the nutty, earthy flavors of butternut squash and leeks, along with just a hint of sweetness from the apples. You'll want to fix it again and again.

Butternut Squash Soup For The Crockpot

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed 1" size (about 1 medium squash)

2 cups leeks, chopped (whites and light green only)

2 large granny smith apples, peeled, cored, diced

2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth

1 cup water

1 tsp marjoram, ground

salt to taste

heavy cream or plain yogurt (optional)

white pepper to taste

parsley or scallions for garnish

Directions

In a 5 quart electric slow cooker, combine the squash, leeks, apples, broth, and water.

Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 7 hours or until the squash and leeks are very tender. Add Marjoram after 5-6 hours on low.

Using a mixing wand, puree the soup in the slow cooker until a smooth uniform texture. Turn on High for another 1/2 hour.

Serve hot with a dolop of cream or yogurt swirled into soup on top and garnish with a sprig of parsley or sprinkle with chives.

Have A Glorious Fall Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/12/2010 9:05:35 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's a little something I love, and it's so quick and easy when prepared in my Crockpot. I'd serve this meal with some hot cooked brown rice mixed with some chopped parsley or cilantro. A simple green salad with a blue cheese dressing would be a fabulous side dish. And have some ice cream for dessert - you've done enough work!

Honey Barbecued Pork & Carrots

Ingredients:

• 3 lb. boneless pork roast
  • 16 oz. bag baby carrots
  • 1/2 cup purchased barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper

Preparation:

Place pork and carrots in a 3-4 quart crockpot. Combine barbecue sauce, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl and pour over ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or pork is thoroughly cooked. 6 servings
Have A Wonderful Weekend My Friends,
Phil
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/13/2010 7:39:38 AM
OH WOW. Phil.... I love cabbage rolls. Never thought about making them in a crock pot. I'm making this for SUNDAY night dinner.

Thanks guy!
Pat

Quote:

Hello My Friends,

Well, November is here and that means that the Holiday/Cooking Season is upon us.

However, before we get started with the Holiday recipes, here's another old favorite of mine. Cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, onion and rice, covered in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce and cooked in a slow cooker. Nice homemade comfort food. These were great! Even my Nephews liked them!

Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients

• 12 leaves cabbage
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.
  2. In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
  4. Cover, and cook on Low 8 to 9 hours

Have A Fabulous Fall Week,

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/13/2010 6:50:57 PM
Hi Pat,

So glad that you stopped back by, and I'm glad to hear that you share my love for Cabbage Rolls. I've got a Standard recipe which I use sometimes, in fact, I just added it over at Papa's Kitchen, however, I much prefer these that I prepare in the Crock Pot.

Here's something else that I generally prefer fixing in my Crock Pot instead of the conventional method. Oh, these are so good that you've just got to try this recipe. These peppers have an amazing roasted flavor, and the meat cooks nicely without a hint of grease.

Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients:

--4-6 peppers, just enough to fit your crockpot. I have a 6qt oval Smart Pot, and six nestled perfectly in the stoneware

--1 lb lean ground beef

--1 cup cooked rice

--1 can flavored tomatoes (I used fire roasted, Italian would work. If you don't have flavored, add 1/2 t italian seasoning)

--1 tsp worcestershire sauce

--2 Tbs ketchup

--1 tsp black pepper

--1/3 cup water

Directions:

In a bowl, mix the ground beef and rice with all the stuff (except for the water and the peppers)

Wash and clean out the peppers. Save the tops.

Stuff each pepper with a good amount of the ground beef and rice mixture

Nestle the peppers into your crock and put the little pepper tops back on.

Pour in 1/3 cup of water around the bases of the peppers

Cook on Low for 6-8 hrs. I cook mine for exactly 8 hrs.

Have A Terrific Weekend My Friend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!