Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
10/17/2010 10:04:32 PM

Hi Sara,

Thanks for the Hug and as always, Thanks for your Kind Words.

It's that time of year again, my Friends. The Holidays are fast approaching, and that always means a time to cook, and of course EAT, all of my favorites.

This recipe has become, hands-down, my favorite ham! This has replaced our Christmas Ham and makes the entire house smell amazing! There is nothing like coming home with this ham cooking! Experiment with the amounts of seasonings to your liking. I prefer more nutmeg, but some prefer less nutmeg and more maple syrup.

Easy Slow Cooker Ham

Ingredients

• 1 (6 pound) bone-in country ham
  • 30 whole cloves
  • 3 cups apple cider, or as needed
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 tablespoons ground cloves
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (optional)
  • 1 orange's peel

Directions

1. Press whole cloves into the ham so they are evenly distributed. You may score the ham for easier insertion if you wish. Place the ham in a slow cooker. Pour in apple cider until only about 2 inches of ham is above the surface. Pack the brown sugar on top of the ham, pressing into the cloves. This will get washed away in the next step but any that stays on is a bonus.
  2. Pour the maple syrup over the ham. Season the apple cider with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, ground cloves and vanilla. Add the orange peel to the pot. Fill the slow cooker as full as you can with apple cider without going over the fill line. Cover and set to Low. Cook for 8 to 10 hours.

Wishing You A Blessed Holiday Season,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/18/2010 10:10:58 PM

Hello My Friends,

There's just something about the Fall of the year when I start craving Sweet Potatoes. Here's one of my very favorite Sweet Potato recipes.

Spicy Crockpot Sweet Potatoes

3 lb. orange-fleshed sweet potatoes

2 T olive oil
non-stick spray for crockpot
2 tsp. sweet potato spice mix (see below)
fresh ground black pepper to taste
sea salt to taste

Sweet Potato Spice Mix (grind herbs together with a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, then mix in salt)

2 T ground coriander
1 T ground fennel
1 T dried oregano
1 T Aleppo Pepper (or use a smaller amount of cayenne pepper)
2 T kosher salt

Directions:

Peel sweet potatoes and cut into pieces about 1 inch square. Put sweet potatoes into plastic Ziploc bag, add 2 T olive oil and 2 tsp. spice mix, seal bag and squeeze potatoes around until they're all coated with oil and spice mix is well-distributed.

Spray inside of Crockpot slow cooker with non-stick spray or olive oil. Put sweet potatoes in crockpot and cook on high, stirring a couple of times so they don't stick or get too browned on the bottom.

Sweet potatoes are done when they're completely softened and fragrant, about 3 hours. Mash slightly if desired, and season to taste with fresh ground black pepper and sea salt. Serve hot.

Make Ahead Tips: Sweet potatoes can be cut and mixed with olive oil and seasoning earlier in the day. Cooked sweet potatoes can be kept in the crockpot on low or warm for a few hours if needed.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/24/2010 7:16:49 PM

Hi Friends,

As the Fall evenings turn crisper and cooler, here's a little something to help you stay warm and cozy.

Just combine some browned ground beef and onion, along with ranch-style beans, cabbage and stewed tomatoes, season with cumin and garlic, then slow-cook all day. Simple & so delicious!

Cabbage Patch Stew

Ingredients

• 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 (15 ounce) can ranch-style beans
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 1/2 cups chopped cabbage
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/4 cup picante sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • salt to taste
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste

Directions

1. In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef with the onion. Drain fat.
  2. Combine ranch-style beans, cumin, garlic, cabbage and green pepper in crock pot. Stir in stewed tomatoes, celery, picante sauce, water, and beef mixture. Salt and pepperr to taste.
  3. Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/31/2010 1:34:39 AM

Hello Friends,

Here's one I think you're going to want to try. For a Full-Meal Deal, just add cubed potatoes and carrots to your roast during the last 30 minutes of cooking, and you'll serve a complete and hearty one-pot meal! The best vegetable gravy you ever tasted and the roast isn't bad either.

Mother's Pot Roast

Ingredients

• 2 1/2 pounds tip round roast
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 onion, cut into thin strips
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place meat in pot with fat side up. Pour tomato sauce over roast. Place onion rings over all. Toss in bay leaves. Cover and cook 1 hour on high.
  2. After 1 hour reduce heat to low and cook 6 to 8 more hours. Carefully lift meat out of pot and remove to a warm platter.
  3. Pour drippings through strainer into medium sized saucepan and discard material in strainer. Whisk in flour to liquid. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper, serve alongside roast.

Have A Great Fall Weekend My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/2/2010 12:40:51 AM

Hello My Friends,

Well, November is here and that means that the Holiday/Cooking Season is upon us.

However, before we get started with the Holiday recipes, here's another old favorite of mine. Cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, onion and rice, covered in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce and cooked in a slow cooker. Nice homemade comfort food. These were great! Even my Nephews liked them!

Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients

• 12 leaves cabbage
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.
  2. In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
  4. Cover, and cook on Low 8 to 9 hours

Have A Fabulous Fall Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!