Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
11/5/2010 7:13:58 PM
I use my slow cooker regular. Great way to cook particular when you live a busy life. Put some meat and vegs, flavouring, and out the door. When you home you have a nice cook healthy meal.
Dream and Live your Lifestyle of choice. http://lifestylechoice.successin10steps.com/?mad=38023
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2010 12:58:59 AM
Hi Helen,

So glad you dropped by and hope you come by often. It's always great to have New Friends drop by to visit. Please feel free come back again, and please share a recipe or two if you wish.

I must agree with you, Slow-cookers are an acquired pleasure. Some folks don't really care for using them, but I'd be lost without mine. I have several different sizes, as a matter of fact.

Here's an idea - Start a Tradition: Slow Cooker Sunday! What could be more convenient? Prepare your slow cooker the night before and refrigerate, or simply toss everything in first thing in the morning. Then plug it in and forget about it! You'll have a delicious meal by evening. Always keep a few favorite recipes and ingredients on hand, and then you'll always have a meal idea at the ready.

Just to start you off, here's one I think you'll all enjoy. This was Dinner for my Family just this past Sunday. Baked chicken in a slow cooker for busy people! Put the chicken on in the morning, and then you have golden brown baked chicken for dinner.

Baked Slow Cooker Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (3 to 4 pound) whole chicken
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon paprika

Directions

1. Wad three pieces of aluminum foil into 3 to 4 inch balls, and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
  2. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and paprika, and place in the slow cooker on top of the crumbled aluminum foil.
  3. Set the slow cooker to High for 1 hour, then turn down to Low for about 8 to 10 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.

Have A Delightful Autumn Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2010 1:19:43 AM
Hi Phil,

Did you ever hear of crock pot lasagna? I saw it on a show this week. It looked so good.\ and simple.

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2010 4:50:08 AM

Hi Phil and all my good friends who posted here,

I haven't checked out the recipes in a couple of months so am behind again, but just got caught up. I copied several of them which sounded especially good.

At our house we call the evening meal supper, but my daughter-in-law calls it dinner. Where I grew up in northern Wisconsin it was supper. My daughter-in-law is from the Chicago area where her family called it dinner, viva la difference, or however that is spelled!

The crockpot turkey stuffed with herbs is one I may try this Thanksgiving, so thank you for sharing it Phil.

I used my crockpot today to make a pork roast. All I did was use garlic salt and a combination spice on both sides and then let it cook for 8 hours. It tasted very good!

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/7/2010 3:44:40 AM

Hi Myrna,

Not necessarily one of my healthier recipes, but here goes.

I generally prefer to make my Lasagna from scratch, the old-fashioned way, but this is so delicious! It freezes great and it makes a nice easy lunch for work. I love it! Who knew that lasagna could be so easy!

Slowcooker Lasagna

Ingredients:

• 1 pound Ground Beef
  • 1 whole Onion, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Crushed And Minced
  • 1 jar (1-lb. 10 Oz. Jar) Spaghetti Sauce (such As Ragu)
  • 1 pound Ricotta Cheese
  • ¼ cups Milk
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 16 ounces, weight Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • ½ cups Shredded Parmesan/Romano Cheese
  • 1 package (8 Oz.) No-boil Lasagna Noodles

Preparation:

Brown the beef, onion, and garlic in a frying pan. Drain off any grease. Add the spaghetti sauce into the browned meat mixture. Mix well.

In a separate bowl, mix the ricotta cheese, milk, and egg. Beat until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Then mix in the mozzarella cheese and the grated cheese, so that all the cheeses are combined.

If you do not use a crockpot liner, grease the slow cooker/crock pot with some vegetable shortening on the bottom and sides.

Put about 1/4 of the meat and sauce mixture in the bottom of the crock pot. Put a layer of noodles on top of that (break or cut them if needed). Put about 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of that. Then repeat with sauce, noodles, cheese for another 2 layers. Top with meat sauce. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours or until noodles are tender.

Note: I use onion powder and garlic powder, if I do not have any fresh on hand to cook with my meat.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!