Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/14/2011 3:47:31 PM

Hi Pat,

It's always Great to have you visit here at the Forum and I'm so glad that you've been able to find some recipes that you could use. I do indeed understand what you mean about gaining weight though. I've had to fight the "battle of the bulge" for most of my life. Of course, I had a head start, since as I've said before, I started out in the world weighing in at 12 lbs & 7 oz. As you can imagine, there's not too many Diets that I haven't tried at least once, usually more often.

Here's a recipe from one of the many Diet Plans that I have followed over the years. It's a fantastic chicken recipe from my Weight Watchers recipe file, a delicious Raspberry and Balsamic Chicken with Shallots Recipe with just a 7 Points + total. It’s easy to make, is really delicious, and it makes a great healthy meal idea for the whole family. The sweet and sour of the raspberry balsamic sauce is perfect, and adds such great flavor. It’s a great go to meal when you need a quick weeknight dinner recipe that will make everyone happy.

Raspberry Balsamic Chicken with Shallots Recipe

Ingredients:

- 16 oz ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped shallots, (approx 3 large)
- 3/4 cup sugar-free Smucker's Raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced

Directions:

Combine jam and vinegar in a small pan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring often, until the jam is dissolved, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in salt and pepper and let cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup of the sauce. Place chicken breasts and the rest of the sauce in a large, seal-able plastic bag. Seal and shake gently to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and thyme and cook, stirring often, until the shallots begin to soften, about 1 minute. Remove the chicken from the marinade (discard marinade). Add the chicken to the pan and cook until just beginning to brown, 2 minutes on each side. Add the reserved raspberry sauce; stir to melt the jam and coat the chicken. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 6 to 10 minutes.

Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 chicken breast with sauce
Each serving = 7 Points +

Thanks Again & Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/15/2011 4:27:46 AM

Hello My Friends,

Well it's Friday night and you know what that means. These Salmon fillets are baked with a delicious garlic and mustard paste. This is an unbelievably delicious and quick salmon recipe. You can play around with the ingredients: add fresh basil leaves instead of the chili or balsamic instead of the lemon juice. The wholegrain mustard is essential. You are guaranteed to love this one. Serve with just a green salad, or go all out and try the Broccoli Rice Casserole below. Either way, enjoy!

Spicy Garlic Salmon

Ingredients

• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 dried red chile pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • sea salt to taste
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 (6 ounce) fillets salmon

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a medium baking dish with aluminum foil. Lightly grease foil.
  2. With a mortar and pestle, grind together the garlic, chile pepper, and olive oil. Mix into a thick paste with the mustard, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Place the salmon fillets in the prepared baking dish, and coat with the paste mixture.
  3. Bake salmon 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork.

For a real treat, try this creamy side dish, baked in a delicious cheese sauce. This is the best broccoli rice casserole you'll ever eat.

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Ingredients

• 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
  • 3 cups instant rice
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 (16 ounce) package processed American cheese, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 bunch celery, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Cook broccoli and rice according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium saucepan over low heat, mix cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup, and 1 1/4 cups water. Gradually stir in cheese until melted. Be careful that the cheese doesn't burn.
  3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and saute celery and onion until soft.
  4. In a large mixing bowl, combine broccoli, rice, soup and cheese mixture, celery and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, until bubbly and lightly brown.

Have A Terrific Evening My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/16/2011 2:07:06 AM

Hello Friends,

Tonight I'm afraid it's going to have to be Short & Sweet. Got a busy day tomorrow, so I've got to get in bed early this evening.

This Recipe's extremely easy, fast and cheap. The Bread's great for sandwiches and snacks. You may use more or less olive oil or salt if you wish.

Easiest Focaccia Recipe

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1-1/2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. In a small bowl, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture with flour; stir well to combine. Stir in additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all of the flour is absorbed. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly for about 1 minute.
  3. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
  5. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface; knead briefly. Pat or roll the dough into a sheet and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush the dough with oil and sprinkle with salt.
  6. Bake focaccia in preheated oven for 10 to 20 minutes, depending on desired crispness. If you like it moist and fluffy, then you'll have to wait just about 10 minutes. If you like it crunchier and darker in the outside, you may have to wait 20 minutes.

Now that you know how to make the Bread, this year for Super Bowl Sunday, why not have deli sandwiches at home! It's easy.

Savory Focaccia Sandwiches

Sun-Dried Tomato Spread

8 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Sandwich

1 round focaccia bread (12 inches in diameter)
30 thin slices cooked roast beef (20 ounces)
6 slices (1 1/2 ounces each) mozzarella cheese
12 slices tomato
Red onion rings, if desired
Fresh basil leaves, if desired

1. In small bowl, cover tomatoes with boiling water. Let stand 30 minutes; drain. Chop tomatoes. In small bowl, mix all remaining spread ingredients; stir in tomatoes. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
  2. Cut focaccia horizontally in half. Spread tomato spread over cut sides of focaccia. Layer roast beef, cheese and tomato slices on bottom half; top with onion rings and basil. Add top half of focaccia. Cut into 6 wedges.

Hope Your Sunday's Wonderful,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/16/2011 7:19:18 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here's an easier take on an Italian classic. Rich and creamy alfredo sauce combines with Parmesan and Pancetta (Italian bacon) for a delicious pasta dish your whole family will love.

Spaghetti Carbonara

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package spaghetti pasta
  • 1 (15 ounce) jar Classico® Light Creamy Alfredo Pasta Sauce
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 pound thinly sliced pancetta
  • 2 chopped large shallots
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Directions

1. Cook pasta al dente according to package instructions and drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of pasta water. Return pasta to pot and cover to keep warm. In a medium bowl, whisk together Pasta Sauce and eggs, and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, brown pancetta for 3 to 4 minutes, or until crisp, turning occasionally. Place pancetta on paper towels and coarsely crumble or chop, reserving drippings.
  3. In the same skillet with reserved drippings over medium high heat, cook shallots and garlic for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in wine and cook for another minute. Remove skillet from heat.
  4. Return pasta pot to stovetop over low heat. Add shallot mixture to warm pasta and lightly toss with tongs. Slowly add Pasta Sauce mixture, a little at a time, tossing pasta frequently to prevent eggs from scrambling. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or until sauce is cooked through and thickened. Add reserved hot pasta water if needed to thin sauce to desired consistency. Add cheese, parsley and pancetta crumbles, and cook for another minute, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired. Serve immediately.

Complete the meal off with this awesome Garlic Bread, and a rich, full-bodied Chardonnay. Don't skimp by using minced; roasting the garlic is worth the effort.

Roasted Garlic Bread

Ingredients

• 3 bulbs garlic
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 (1 pound) loaf Italian bread
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slice the tops off of the garlic bulbs so that the tip of each clove is exposed. Place the bulbs on a baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, or until garlic is soft.
  2. Set the oven to broil. Slice the loaf of bread in half horizontally, and place cut side up on a baking sheet.
  3. Squeeze the cloves of garlic from their skins into a medium bowl. Stir in the butter, parsley, and Parmesan cheese until well blended. Spread onto the cut sides of the bread.
  4. Broil for about 5 minutes, until toasted.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/18/2011 12:19:03 AM
Hello My Friends,
Probably not one of my healthiest Recipes, but a little something different, for whenever you're trying to impress those important Guests. Dress up your Chicken Breasts with maple syrup and crispy panko bread crumbs, with this delicious 5-ingredient, easy to prepare recipe.

Maple-Pecan Chicken

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
1/4 cup pure maple or maple-flavored syrup
2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
1/2 cup Progresso® plain panko crispy bread crumbs
1/2

cup finely chopped pecans

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with foil; spray with cooking spray. Between pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper, place each chicken breast smooth side down; gently pound with flat side of meat mallet or rolling pin until about 1/2-inch thick.
  2. In shallow dish, mix together maple syrup and mayonnaise. In another shallow dish, mix together panko and pecans. Dip chicken into syrup mixture, then into panko. Place on baking sheet. Spray top of chicken with cooking spray. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (165°F) and coating is golden brown.

Add this colorful side dish for just the perfect blend of sweet and savory. It's simple to prepare and can be served as a side dish, salad, or light meal. Feel free to substitute whatever veggies and herbs you have on hand.

Roasted Vegetable Medley

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 large yam, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 large parsnip, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch slices
  • 1 bunch fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease 2 baking sheets with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
  2. Place the yams, parsnips, and carrots onto the baking sheets. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then add the zucchini and asparagus, and drizzle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Continue baking until all of the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes more. Once tender, remove from the oven, and allow to cool for 30 minutes on the baking sheet.
  3. Toss the roasted peppers together with the garlic, basil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until combined. Add the roasted vegetables, and toss to mix. Serve at room temperature or cold.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!