Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/18/2011 11:54:20 PM

Hello Everyone,

This Evening, it's really back to Basics, Meat & Taters, with a little Gravy to sweeten the pot.

You can't beat a hearty helping of meat loaf with creamy mashed potatoes on the side. This tender, moist meat loaf with a hint of cheese will be a big hit at your house.

Prairie Meat Loaf

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery
  • 2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
  • 4 pounds lean ground beef

Directions

1. In a large bowl, beat eggs; stir in ketchup, mustard, oats, salt, garlic powder, thyme and basil. In a small saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add to oat mixture and mix well. Stir in onion, celery and 2 cups of cheese. Add beef; mix well. Press into two ungreased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pans. bake at 375 degrees F for 1-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 170 degrees F and juices run clear; drain. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; let stand until melted.

Then we add some classic mashed potatoes, rounded out with a creamy finish and with some chives and dill to give them even more flavor.

Yukon Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 8 ounces goat cheese
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1/2 cup milk

Directions

1. Place the potatoes into a large pot and fill with enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender enough to easily pierce with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain and mash partially, then add the butter and milk. Continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the goat cheese, chives and dill.

Finally, top off your meal with some Beef Favored Gravy. This is a quick and easy gravy made with beef bouillon, flour, onion and butter. Serve over the mashed potatoes, and over the Meat Loaf as well, if desired.

Simple Beef Flavored Gravy

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3 teaspoons beef bouillon
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter

Directions

1. Combine water, bouillon, flour, onion and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until thickened.

Have A Magnificent Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/20/2011 12:07:55 AM

Hello My Friends,

Who doesn't love a great burger? However, when we're watching your waistline, they can be a big no-no. This will satisfy your burger craving, without letting you sacrifice your healthy eating goals. Try this healthy recipe for turkey burgers, and you'll get the burger you want without all the fat you don't need. Top your gourmet turkey burgers with some low fat cheese, lettuce, tomato and your favorite condiments for a healthy burger that can't be beat.

Healthy Turkey Burgers

Ingredients:

1 1/4 pound + 4 ounces ground turkey
1 cup bread crumbs
1 egg
1/4 cup green onions, chopped
1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
1 1/2 Tablespoons margarine
1/2 cup chicken broth
Directions:

1. Mix ground turkey, bread crumbs, egg, onions, and mustard in large bowl. Shape into 4 patties, about 1/2-inch thick.
2. Melt margarine in large skillet over low heat. Add patties and cook, turning once to brown other side. Cook until golden brown outside and white inside, about 10 minutes. Remove from skillet and place onto plate.
3. Add chicken broth to skillet, and boil over high heat until slightly thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Pour sauce over patties.
4. Serve on homemade whole wheat buns.

Add these fries to have a healthy alternative to the old standard French fries. The Italian seasoning and lemon pepper add an interesting twist to this vegetable

Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients

• 4 sweet potatoes, cut into large French fries
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  2. Place the cut sweet potatoes into a microwave-safe dish with the water. Cook on in the microwave for 5 minutes on full power. Drain off liquid, and toss with Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Arrange fries on a baking sheet in a single layer.
  3. Bake for 30 minutes, turning once, or until fries are crispy on the outside.

Finally, did you ever have one of those times when a hamburger or veggie burger sounds so good, for example, right before watching a Super Bowl game, but you don’t happen to have any buns on hand? Problem solved. These hamburger buns are insanely fast to whip up, because they do not require any rising time (just a few minutes of rest) …

Speedy Wheat Hamburger Buns

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons Active Dry Yeast
1 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons Warm Water

1/3 Cup Oil

1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Cups All-Purpose or White Bread Flour
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 Cups Whole Wheat Flour

Directions

In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water. Stir in the oil and sugar, and let the mixture stand for 5 minutes.
Add the egg, salt, white flour, and 1 1/2 cups of the wheat flour, combining until it forms a soft dough. Add the additional 1/4 cup of wheat flour as needed to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands (if you need a little more, that is okay too). Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes or so.

Divide the dough into 8 pieces, shape each into a thick disc, and place them on baking sheets about 3 inches apart.

Makes 8 Buns

Have A Terrific Evening My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/20/2011 10:55:31 PM

Hello My Friends,

Well, there doesn't seem to be anyone around these days, but I guess we can always keep trying.

This is one of my favorite recipes. I make this way too often, mainly because it's so quick and easy. I serve this with rice and broccoli for a healthy meal.

Salmon With Brown Sugar Glaze

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 4 (6 ounce) boneless salmon fillets
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack at about 6 inches from the heat source; prepare the rack of a broiler pan with cooking spray.
  2. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and arrange onto the prepared broiler pan. Whisk together the brown sugar and Dijon mustard in a small bowl; spoon mixture evenly onto top of salmon fillets.
  3. Cook under the preheated broiler until the fish flakes easily with a fork, 10 to 15 minutes.

Next, we have some Steamed Broccoli, topped with a lightly seasoned butter and fresh Parmesan cheese.

Broccoli with Poppy Seed Butter and Parmesan Cheese

Ingredients

• 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
  • 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Place broccoli in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water, and cover. Cook until tender but still firm, about 6 minutes; drain. Meanwhile, stir together the melted butter, poppy seeds, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss the broccoli with the butter sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to serve.

Finally, this Basmati Rice is simmered in coconut milk, instead of water, giving it a deliciously rich flavor.

Coconut Rice

Ingredients

• 1-1/3 cups and 2 tablespoons Basmati rice
  • 2-1/4 (10 ounce) cans coconut milk
  • 5/8 pinch salt

Directions

1. In a large saucepan over high heat, combine rice, coconut milk and salt; bring to a boil.
  2. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Have A Bright & Blessed Evening,

Phil

+0
1/20/2011 11:37:45 PM

Hello Friend, I am here!! Sorry I have not been posting lately. I do come by and see all these delicious recipes and pictures, always makes me hungry!

I love burgers on ocassion and really like Sonic Burgers (sorry!). They might not be so healthy but I think they do mix some soy in with the beef which is actually good for you.

Now I am really hungry... Last night we had a version of Chili and it was very good for this cold weather. Tonight I think we shall have some bacon and eggs (with chili over them). You know we have to be conserative.

I do hope things went well for you today. I have not been on here much today, had some other things I had to do.

Love,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/21/2011 7:50:17 PM

Hi Sara,

I'm always glad to see you my Friend and I appreciate your support.

Well, it's Friday and I always try to have a Fish Dish. I also wanted to keep it simple, so here's today's "fishy" recipe. You can serve your family some Baked Fish, spooned with parsley paste and garnished with pine nuts, and yet, cleanup is still a breeze.

Baked Fish Packets with Chinese Parsley Paste

Fish

1 lb cod, flounder or red snapper fillets
1/2 lb daikon radish, peeled, thinly sliced
1 lb fresh asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup dry sherry or Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Parsley Paste

1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup fresh parsley sprigs
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon grated gingerroot
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 green onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
Dash salt, if desired

Garnish, if desired

Pine nuts, toasted

1. Heat oven to 425°F. Cut fish into 4 serving pieces. Cut 4 (18x12-inch) sheets of heavy-duty foil. Divide radish and asparagus evenly among and on center of each sheet. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon of the sherry and 1/8 teaspoon of the salt. Top with fish. Bring up 2 sides of foil so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again, allowing space for heat circulation and expansion. Fold other sides to seal.
  2. Place packets on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.
  3. Meanwhile, place all parsley paste ingredients in blender. Cover; blend on medium to high speed, stopping blender frequently to scrape sides, until smooth.
  4. To serve, cut large X across top of each packet; carefully fold back foil to allow steam to escape. Spoon about 2 tablespoons parsley paste over each serving. Garnish with pine nuts.

I like to finish up the meal with something such as this flavorful rice to accompany either my chicken or my fish entree.

Pineapple-Lime Rice

Ingredients

• 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice

Directions

1. Bring the rice, pineapple juice, water, pineapple, butter, lime zest, and salt to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in the cilantro, green onions, and lime juice to serve.

Have A Super Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!