Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
1/11/2011 11:04:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

Today we're going to have a little something kind of simple. I thought that you might enjoy something for the kids. There's no green pepper in this recipe, so as I said, it's a hit with the kids. The mixture is thick, so they are 'neat' rather than sloppy and this also freezes and reheats quite well. I serve these on the home-made Hamburger Buns that follow, but any Buns will do.

Neat Sloppy Joes

Ingredients

• 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 8 hamburger buns

Directions

1. Place ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until evenly browned, stirring to crumble. I like to use a potato masher to even out the lumps. Add onion and celery, cover the pan, and cook until tender and transparent, about 5 minutes. Drain off any grease.
  2. Stir the tomato soup (undiluted), ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce into the beef mixture. Season with salt and garlic powder. Heat to a simmer over low heat, and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently to prevent it from burning on the bottom.
  3. Spoon the hot beef mixture onto buns, which may be toasted first, and serve.

My Mom used to make these hamburger buns all the time. They are so easy to make, light and fluffy as well as beautiful to look at.

Belle's Hamburger Buns

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tablespoon water

Directions

1. Combine the milk, 1 cup of water, butter, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil then remove from the heat and let stand until lukewarm. If the mixture is too hot, it will kill the yeast.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the flour and yeast. Pour in wet ingredients and stir until the dough starts to pull together. If you have a stand mixer, use the dough hook to mix for about 8 minutes. If not, knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let stand until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
  3. Punch down the dough and divide into 12 portions. They should be a little larger than a golf ball. Make tight balls out of the dough by pulling the dough tightly around and pinching it at the bottom. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. bAfter the rolls sit for a minute and relax, flatten each ball with the palm of your hand until it is 3 to 4 inches wide. b You may want to oil your hand first. bSet rolls aside until they double in size, about 20 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Mix together the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of water in a cup or small bowl. Brush onto the tops of the rolls. Position 2 oven racks so they are not too close to the top or bottom of the oven.
  5. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove the rolls from the oven and return them to different shelves so each one spends a little time on the top. Continue to bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until nicely browned on the top and bottom.

Hope Your Tuesday's Terrific,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/12/2011 8:58:44 PM

Hi Phil. Nice to see a bread recipe where there isn't any yeast. Don't have to do all that rising stuff. LOL.... I have NEVER made bread using yeast!!! I don't know how!

Anyway, Thanks alot, I will try your recipe. It looks good.

Pat

Quote:

Hello My Friends,

I'm getting a late start tonight, so I'm afraid that we'll have to keep it simple. Everybody loves Good Bread, so here's one of the best I've ever found. It's also one of the easiest breads I've ever made and I've always been happy with the results. This is a sweet brown bread with no eggs or fat added. Best served warm from the oven.

Another great thing about making Bread, I have one loaf to eat and one to give away.

Colonial Brown Bread

Ingredients

• 4 cups buttermilk
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt. Pour in buttermilk, and stir until all of the dry mixture has been absorbed. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared loaf pans.
  3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean. Serve warm. Store leftover bread wrapped in plastic wrap in the refrigerator. This reheats well.

Yield: 2 - 9x5 inch loaves

Have A Peaceful Evening My Friends,

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/13/2011 1:59:45 AM

Hi Pat,

Good to see you here my Friend. Glad you liked the Brown Bread, hope you'll let me know what you think of it after you try it. It's really one of my favorites.

Here's another of my favorites, especially on these Cold Winter nights, and it also goes well with the Bread and some Salt-free Butter.

MEDITERRANEAN BARLEY VEGETABLE STEW

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 shallots, finely chopped

2 medium yellow onions, diced

1 can (28-ounce) chopped tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted

4 cups (1 quart) vegetable broth

2 sprigs fresh rosemary, minced

1 1/2 cups pearl barley

1 jar (12-ounce) roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips

5 ounces fresh baby spinach

1/2 cup castelvetrano olives, pitted and sliced

1 cup water

Salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Directions

1. In a large saucepan over medium, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic, shallots and onions and saute until soft and translucent, about 6 to 7 minutes.

2. Add the tomatoes, broth, rosemary and barley, then bring to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook until the barley is tender, about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Stir in the roasted red peppers, baby spinach, olives and water. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.

Have A Wonderful Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/13/2011 9:07:21 PM
Hello My Friends,

This is the perfect meal when you're having a few friends over, like I did just last week. This is a really great recipe.

Don't let the ingredients scare you, they combine to make a really great taste. The pork is so moist and tender that it will fall apart when you go to cut it. I find it comes out best with the loin that has two sections. however, if it's a single loin, it still comes out great, but just doesn't fall apart quite so much. It cooks for 1 hr 45 min - 2 hrs

Maple Baked Pork Loin Roast

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 (4 pound) boneless pork loin roast
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • all-purpose flour for dredging
  • 3/4 cup maple syrup
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until smoking. Meanwhile, season the pork roast with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour, and shake off excess. Sear in hot oil until browned on all sides, about 1 minute per side.
  3. Place onto a large sheet of aluminum foil set on top of a baking sheet; set aside. Stir together the maple syrup, ketchup, water, and garlic. Pour 3/4 of this sauce over the pork. Fold the foil over the pork, and seal to form a packet.
  4. Bake in preheated oven until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees F (75 degrees C), about 2 hours. Carefully open up the foil packet, and broil for a few minutes until the sauce glazes the meat. Serve with remaining sauce.

Next, the parsley, carrots and onion grown from our garden star in this succulent side dish. It's a perfect partner for pork.

Colorful Braised Vegetables

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
  • 2 cups coleslaw mix
  • 1 medium carrot, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/3 cup water

Directions

1. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the coleslaw mix, carrot, parsley, salt and pepper. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3 minutes. Uncover; simmer 3 minutes longer or until tender.

Finally, these slightly sweet potatoes are perfect with most entrees, and they just needed a little salt and pepper at the table to adjust the taste.

Honey Roasted Red Potatoes

Ingredients

• 1 pound red potatoes, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons diced onion
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly coat an 11x7 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. Place potatoes in a single layer in prepared dish, and top with onion. In a small bowl, combine melted butter, honey, mustard, salt and pepper; drizzle over potatoes and onion.
  3. Bake in the preheated 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) oven for 35 minutes or until tender, stirring halfway through the cooking time.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/14/2011 6:13:28 AM
Phil !! Stop it!!
those recipes you have posted are soooooooooooooo yummy. i lost 30 pounds since last March when j fell and hurt my arm. i don't want to put a single pound back on. except for the hurt ... lol, i feel great now.

that pork roast recipe YOU posted is such a keeper.

THANK YOU PHIL FOR THIS FORUM. it is one of the best on adland and i so look forward to it. thank you again.
Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!