Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/9/2010 10:30:29 PM

Hi Myrna,

Funny that you should mention gathering around the table at Sara's house out in Kansas. I was supposed to be coming back up to your neck of the woods this weekend. I had been invited to fly up to Pennsylvania with some Friends from Greensboro, NC, on Friday morning for the events commemorating the crash of Flight 93 on September 11, 2001, but I wasn't able to arrange the time off to attend. Former First Lady, Laura Bush, will be the keynote speaker at a fundraiser in Pittsburgh on Friday night to raise money for the Flight 93 National Memorial. The private dinner, which is being hosted by the National Park Foundation, is expected to draw more than 100 attendees.

Then on Saturday, Mrs. Bush, along with First Lady Michelle Obama, will also attend the Ninth anniversary event commemorating the crash of United Airlines Flight 93 in Shanksville, Somerset County.

Guess I'll just have to make a little bread here at home, to enjoy with a few Family & Friends. Of course, on Sunday, we will be attending the God and Country Service, over at Wallberg Baptist Church, to remember and to honor those who have fallen protecting our Great Nation both here and abroad, as well as remembering the 3,000+ of our fellow Countrymen slaughtered by the Muslim Terrorists on 9/11. Not quite a Dinner with the former First Lady, but then again, there will be a Hot Dog/Hamburger lincheon, with all of the trimmings, following the services, along with a lot of terrific Fellowship.

Speaking of making some Bread, Banana Bread is a healthy snack that's sweet, just the way kids like it, without all of the added Sugar that can have them swinging from the trees like Monkeys. Banana Bread also packs a healthy potassium punch, and is easy to make. Just a few simple items to mix together, and you have a last-minute treat! What other baked good is actually better when the main ingredient has been sitting around for awhile?

This is the most successful and versatile quick bread recipe I've ever found! You can also use chunky applesauce or a 15 ounce can of pumpkin, for a couple of wonderful variations. Immediately following this recipe, there's another yummy Banana Bread that's even healthier, without all of the fat, just 2.2g, instead of 3.7g per serving.

Best Banana Bread

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup Splenda
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 3 bananas, mashed

Directions

1. Grease and flour two 7x3 inch loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In one bowl, whisk together flour, soda, salt, and sugar. Mix in slightly beaten eggs, melted butter, and mashed bananas. Stir in nuts if desired. Pour into prepared pans.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Lower Fat Banana Bread

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup Splenda
  • 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/3 cup nonfat milk
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Spray a bread pan with non-stick cooking spray, and lightly dust with flour.
  2. In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in bananas, applesauce, milk, oil and vanilla.
  3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, mixing just until blended. Fold in walnuts. Pour batter into prepared pan.
  4. Bake in preheated pan until golden and a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean, about 1 hour. Turn bread out onto a wire rack and let cool.

Have A Blessed Patriot's Day Weekend & NEVER FORGET!

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2010 6:43:26 PM

Potato Casserole

Preparation time: 15 minServings: 4
Cooking time: 60 min

Ingredients:

1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp nutmeg
4 baking potatoes, peeled and sliced ( I love to use New Potatoes)
1 tsp salt to taste (optional)
1/4 tsp pepper
3 small onions, sliced
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp thyme, or 1 Tbsp fresh, chopped
1/2 cup light cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tbsp parsley, chopped

Cooking Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Melt butter in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic 5-7 minutes or until onions are softened. Layer potatoes, onions in a shallow baking dish, blend seasoning between layers. Pour cream over potatoes and sprinkle with paprika. Bake 50 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is browned.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2010 6:53:38 PM

Hello My Friends,

Well, it's Friday, and around my house at least, that means it's Fish day. So, here's a special entree, wonderfully tasty with a loaf of fresh Homemade French bread to dunk in the sauce. Just add a glass of wine, perhaps a glass of Riesling, and a side of pasta, and you'll have an incredible meal to please your family or one that will absolutely Wow any guest.

New Orleans Barbeque Shrimp

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/3 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup beer, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
  • salt to taste

Directions

1. In a small bowl, stir together the garlic powder, onion powder, basil, thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper and paprika. Set aside.
  2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes. Season with the spice mixture and continue to cook and stir for a few minutes. Pour in the beer and Worcestershire sauce; simmer until shrimp is cooked through, about 1 more minute. Taste and season with salt before serving.

Please Remember To Honor The Fallen on 9/11,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2010 7:02:33 PM

Hi Linda,

That Potato Casserole sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks so much for stopping by and for sharing such a terrific Recipe.

Have A Bright & Beautiful Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/12/2010 1:10:48 AM

Hello My Friends,

Hope that you've all been able to observe this Patriot's Day in your own way, with those you love by your side.

Since the NASCAR Race from Richmond was on ABC this evening, here's a little something that we all could enjoy. A stuffed loaf filled with Italian flavors, and it went great with the salads from the Buffet Table. (Just Salads & Cold Cuts)

Cheese and Garlic Stromboli

Ingredients
  • 3 2/3 cups bread flour, as needed
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1½ tsp salt
  • one ¼ oz (7g) envelope instant yeast
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1¾ cups shredded mozzarella
  • 8 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
  • 4 garlic cloves, chopped
  • ¼ cup loosely packed shredded basil
  • 1 tbsp butter, melted

Directions

1. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add 1 cup tepid water and the oil. Stir to make a soft dough. Knead on a lightly floured work surface, adding more flour as needed, about 8 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

2. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Punch down the dough. Transfer to a lightly oiled work surface and roll into a 14 × 9in (35 × 23cm) rectangle. Combine the mozzarella, scallions, basil, and garlic. Spread the mixture over the dough, leaving a 1in (2.5cm) border along all sides.

3. Starting from a short end, roll up tightly. Pinch the seams closed. Place the loaf, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap. Let stand in a warm place about 45 minutes, until doubled.

4. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the underside. Transfer to a wire rack, brush the top with melted butter, and let cool completely.

Have A Delightful Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!