Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/9/2010 10:06:09 AM
Hi Phil,
Thanks for mentioning Rosh Hashanah. We started last night at sundown and it's the beginning of our holiday season. Next Friday is Yom Kippur eve and shortly after that we celebrate Succot a happy and very colorful holiday.
Guess what last night we had both tzimmes and honey cake with many other delicacies. Your recipes look yummy and delicious.
Shanah Tova to all.
Shalom,
Peter

Quote:

Hello My Friends,

Rosh Hashanah, which marks the beginning of the Jewish New Year, begins this evening, Sept. 8, 2010, at sunset. A couple of weeks back, I mentioned to our Friend Peter that I liked this time of year, since I have many Jewish Friends in the area, and our Families often join together in Celebration. We are indeed fortunate enough to be allowed to participate in a Rosh Hashanah candle-lighting ceremony this evening, and will be enjoying a traditional Rosh Hashanah meal, including apples with honey, fish, pomegranates and sweet carrots.

There are Rosh Hashanah events, scheduled through Friday, Sept. 10, which marks the second day of Rosh Hashanah. Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year, then begins just a week later, on the evening of Sept. 17.

To Celebrate along with Peter, as well as with my other Jewish Friends, both here at Adland, as well as here at home, I wanted to share a couple of my favorite recipes for this Celebration.

Sweet Potato & Carrot Tzimmes

1 pound carrots
6 sweet potatoes
1/2 cup pitted prunes (optional)
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey or brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp. margarine
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained

Peel carrots and cut into 1-inch slices. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch slices. In a 3-quart saucepan cook carrots and sweet potatoes in boiling, salted water to cover, until tender but firm. Drain carrots and sweet potatoes and place in 3-quart casserole with prunes. Combine gently.

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix orange juice, honey, salt and cinnamon. Pour evenly over casserole. Dot top with margarine. Bake covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover, stir gently, add pineapple chunks and mandarin oranges and bake another 10 minutes.

Classic Honey Cake

3 Eggs
1 1/3 cups honey
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup strong black coffee
2 tsps. Baking powder
3 Tbsps. Margarine, softened
1 tsp. Baking soda
4 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325.

Grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch cake pan.

In a large mixer bowl, beat eggs and honey together. Add sugar and mix again. Mix coffee with baking powder, and then add with margarine to the egg mixture. Add baking soda, flour, and cinnamon and beat together well.

Pour into greased cake pan. Bake for 55 minutes to an hour.

USE: 9 X 13-inch cake pan YIELDS: 1 cake

Shalom, My Dear Friends,

Phil

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2010 2:25:08 PM
Hi Phil,

I just got a great idea, lets all go to Sara's for some of that good bread. Roger, you and I like the bread, so here we come Sara, make another loaf, here we come..........that would be so much fun to set around Sara's kitchen table.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2010 5:51:57 PM

Phil,

Here is a Worl War II recipe from the UK.

Read carefully

Economical Soup

Take one bean (Haricot or Butter),

7 Pints of water.

Simmer for three weeks: then remove bean and season for taste.If a thicker soup is preferred, leave the bean in.

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2010 7:47:56 PM

Hi Peter,

Glad to hear that you were able to enjoy some Tzimmes and Honey Cake. My Friend's wife from down in Charlotte, is much better at preparing both of these than I am, but I always give it a good try. Last night was wonderful, as you said Roger, it was indeed a Great Evening, spent with wonderful Friends.

As I've said Peter, I enjoy this time of year, as the mood is often both Solemn and Festive, and the food is of course, quite delicious. However, I'm afraid that I am not quite devout enough to pray and fast for 25 hours, in observance of Yom Kippur. I deeply admire the devotion which this requires. I am glad that this Time of Atonement, is followed so closely by the joyous Celebrations of Sukkot.

Sukkot reminds me a lot of our Celebration of Thanksgiving, since, coming as it does at the completion of the harvest, this seems to be a time of giving Thanks to the Lord for the bounty of nature in the year that has passed.

So in closing, I will wish you a Blessed Yom Kippur...

and a Happy Sukkot...

May The Lord Bless You & Your Family My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2010 9:36:35 PM

Hi Roger,

Love the "One-Bean" Soup. At the rate the Government is growing these days here in the US, one bean is going to be about all that they leave us, at least those of us who still work for a living.

It's king of Ironic that you should mention Bean Soup. Bean soup is actually on the menu in the Senate's restaurant every day. There are several stories about the origin of that mandate, but none has ever been corroborated.

(Senate Restaurant Staff Preparing Bean Soup)

According to one story, the Senate’s bean soup tradition began early in the 20th-century at the request of Senator Fred Dubois of Idaho. Another story attributes the request to Senator Knute Nelson of Minnesota, who expressed his fondness for the soup in 1903.

The recipe attributed to Dubois includes mashed potatoes and makes a 5-gallon batch. The recipe served in the Senate today does not include mashed potatoes, but does include a braised onion. Both Senate recipes are below.

The Famous Senate Restaurant Bean Soup Recipe

2 pounds dried navy beans

four quarts hot water

1 1/2 pounds smoked ham hocks

1 onion, chopped

2 tablespoons butter

salt and pepper to taste

Wash the navy beans and run hot water through them until they are slightly whitened. Place beans into pot with hot water. Add ham hocks and simmer approximately three hours in a covered pot, stirring occasionally. Remove ham hocks and set aside to cool. Dice meat and return to soup. Lightly brown the onion in butter. Add to soup. Before serving, bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Serves 8.

Bean Soup Recipe (for five gallons)

3 pounds dried navy beans

2 pounds of ham and a ham bone

1 quart mashed potatoes

5 onions, chopped

2 stalks of celery, chopped

four cloves garlic, chopped

half a bunch of parsley, chopped

Clean the beans, then cook them dry. Add ham, bone and water and bring to a boil. Add potatoes and mix thoroughly. Add chopped vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer for one hour before serving.

Both recipes sound quite Tasty to me, and I just know that either one would be Delicious with a couple of slices of Sara's Homemade Bread and a little dab or two of Butter.

Now I'm good and hungry.

Have A Great Day,

And Don't Forget The "Beano"

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!