Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/6/2010 10:37:01 PM

Hi Myrna,

Always glad to be helpful. As long as we eat healthy, we'll be around longer to enjoy this wonderful place that the Lord has provided for us.

Well this weekend was more or less the last Hoorah for the Summer, but before we go, here's one more for the Grill. A quick marinade abd butter, mixed with blue cheese and chives, deliver a lot of flavor in theis steak recipe.

Grilled Flat Iron Steak With Blue Cheese-Chive Butter

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds flat iron steak
  • 3 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
  • 1 ounce crumbled blue cheese
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
  • 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper

Directions

1. Whisk together vinegar, garlic, 1 tablespoon black pepper, rosemary, oregano, and kosher salt in a bowl along with the olive oil. Place the flat iron steak into a resealable plastic bag, and pour the marinade overtop. Squeeze the excess air from the bag and seal. Marinate in the refrigerator 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate. Remove steak from the marinade, shake off excess, and discard the remaining marinade. Allow the steak to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes as the grill warms.
  3. Mash together the butter, blue cheese, chives, and 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper; set aside. Cook the steak on the preheated grill to desired degree of doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Allow the steak to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes before slicing thinly across the grain. Serve with a dollop of blue cheese-chive butter.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
9/8/2010 9:03:41 PM

Phil that Flat Iron Steak really looks good! Here is some of my bread to go with it. Regular white bread with flax seed meal.

Butter is room temperature also!

Enjoy,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2010 11:01:56 PM

Hi Sara,

That Bread looks absolutely delicious. There's just nothing quite like Fresh Baked Bread, and I actually discovered a Creamery fairly close by where I can get actual Butter, inclusing the Lower Salt variety.

With the Fresh Bread and my "Real" Butter, I guess I'm all set to go.

Thanks Again My Friend & Have A Terrific Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2010 11:31:45 PM

Hello My Friends,

Rosh Hashanah, which marks the beginning of the Jewish New Year, begins this evening, Sept. 8, 2010, at sunset. A couple of weeks back, I mentioned to our Friend Peter that I liked this time of year, since I have many Jewish Friends in the area, and our Families often join together in Celebration. We are indeed fortunate enough to be allowed to participate in a Rosh Hashanah candle-lighting ceremony this evening, and will be enjoying a traditional Rosh Hashanah meal, including apples with honey, fish, pomegranates and sweet carrots.

There are Rosh Hashanah events, scheduled through Friday, Sept. 10, which marks the second day of Rosh Hashanah. Yom Kippur, the holiest day of the year, then begins just a week later, on the evening of Sept. 17.

To Celebrate along with Peter, as well as with my other Jewish Friends, both here at Adland, as well as here at home, I wanted to share a couple of my favorite recipes for this Celebration.

Sweet Potato & Carrot Tzimmes

1 pound carrots
6 sweet potatoes
1/2 cup pitted prunes (optional)
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup honey or brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp. margarine
1 20 oz. can pineapple chunks, drained
1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained

Peel carrots and cut into 1-inch slices. Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch slices. In a 3-quart saucepan cook carrots and sweet potatoes in boiling, salted water to cover, until tender but firm. Drain carrots and sweet potatoes and place in 3-quart casserole with prunes. Combine gently.

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix orange juice, honey, salt and cinnamon. Pour evenly over casserole. Dot top with margarine. Bake covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover, stir gently, add pineapple chunks and mandarin oranges and bake another 10 minutes.

Classic Honey Cake

3 Eggs
1 1/3 cups honey
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup strong black coffee
2 tsps. Baking powder
3 Tbsps. Margarine, softened
1 tsp. Baking soda
4 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 325.

Grease and flour a 9 by 13-inch cake pan.

In a large mixer bowl, beat eggs and honey together. Add sugar and mix again. Mix coffee with baking powder, and then add with margarine to the egg mixture. Add baking soda, flour, and cinnamon and beat together well.

Pour into greased cake pan. Bake for 55 minutes to an hour.

USE: 9 X 13-inch cake pan YIELDS: 1 cake

Shalom, My Dear Friends,

Phil

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2010 8:18:10 AM

Phil,

That sounds like one great evening.

Sara,

Ooooh that bread.

I love bread with sundried tomatoes in it.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!