Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/4/2012 1:51:15 AM
Hello Friends,
The Tilapia was so good yesterday that I decided to have again this evening. This time the Tilapia is seasoned with garlic, pan-fried, and then served on toasted multigrain bread with melted cheese.
Pan Fried Tilapia Sandwich

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup minced red onion
  • 1 cup finely chopped tomato
  • 1/4 cup dill pickle relish
  • 1 teaspoon ground piri piri chile pepper
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia fillets
  • 2 teaspoons seafood seasoning (such as Old Bay®)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 8 slices pepperjack cheese
  • 8 slices whole wheat bread, toasted

Directions

1. Stir together the mayonnaise, onion, tomato, relish, and piri piri in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
  2. Season the tilapia fillets on both sides with the seafood seasoning and garlic powder. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the tilapia fillets until they are golden brown on both sides and no longer translucent in the center, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Place two slices of pepperjack cheese on top of each fillet, cover the skillet, and cook until the cheese has melted.
  3. Place each tilapia fillet onto a slice of toasted bread, spread with the reserved sauce, then top with the remaining slices of bread. Serves 4.

I love this recipe! This is a great replacement for fries or tater tots with our quick dinners and it's also my answer to the oh-so-yummy but oh-so-very-fattening deep-fried yam fries.

Baked Yam Fries with Dip

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 4 yams, peeled and cut into wedges
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
  • 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread the olive oil over a baking sheet.
  2. Arrange the yams on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer; season with the seasoned salt.
  3. Bake the yams in the preheated oven until soft, about 25 minutes.
  4. While the yams bake, stir the sour cream, mayonnaise, taco seasoning, and paprika together in a small bowl. Serve as a dip for the yams. Serves 4.

Have A Super Saturday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/4/2012 3:09:25 AM
Hi Phil,

Fish and Potatoes sound great. I will have to make it another time. It is 10:00 here. I think a little late, huh! lol

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/5/2012 10:47:28 PM

Hi Myrna,

Sorry about that! Got a late start the other evening. Here's a simple, yet "special", weeknight meal. These juicy little medallions brown beautifully and go from stovetop to dinner table in just minutes. And the flavorful Marsala sauce goes a long way toward making this simple weeknight meal feel special. Serve along with the Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Chives described below.

Pork Medallions in Mushroom Marsala Sauce

2 lb. pork tenderloin (about 2 tenderloins)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 medium shallots, finely diced
12 oz. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dry Marsala
1 cup homemade or low-salt chicken broth
3 Tbs. heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Trim the tenderloins of silverskin and any excess fat. Cut the tenderloins into 2-inch-thick medallions. Flip each medallion onto a cut side and press down with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly. Season the meat with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper.

Heat the olive oil and 1 Tbs. of the butter in a large sauté pan over high heat. When the butter is melted and foaming, add half of the meat and sear until nicely browned, 2 to 3 min. Flip and cook the other side until the meat is well browned and slightly firm to the touch, about another 2 min. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining pork.

Melt the remaining 2 Tbs. butter in the pan. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and sauté for about 30 seconds, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the mushrooms and sauté until all of the mushroom liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are golden, about 3 min. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt, sprinkle with the flour, and add the Marsala. Once the Marsala has almost completely evaporated, add the chicken broth and reduce by half, about 3 min. Stir in the cream and parsley, return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan, and cook, flipping the pork once, until it’s firm to the touch and still a little pink in the middle (cut into a piece to check), 2 to 4 min. Taste for salt and pepper and serve. Serves 4-6.

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes with Chives

3 lb. russet potatoes (4 to 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1-1/2- to 2-inch chunks
Kosher salt
6 to 8 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 4 pieces
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1/4 cup thinly sliced chives (1 small bunch)
Freshly ground black pepper

Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover by an inch with cold water. Add 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, partially cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a skewer, about 20 minutes. Drain, and return the potatoes to the saucepan. Put the pan over low heat, and shake or stir the potatoes until a floury film forms on the bottom of the pot, 1 to 2 minutes.

Using a ricer, food mill, or potato masher, mash the potatoes. Stir in the butter, 1 piece at a time, with a broad wooden spoon. Once the butter is thoroughly absorbed, add the buttermilk in three parts, stirring vigorously between additions. Add the chives, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot. Yields 5 1/2 Cups.

Make Ahead Tips

If you need to keep the potatoes warm before serving, create a makeshift double-boiler: Transfer the potatoes to a large stainlesssteel bowl, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. The potatoes can be held for about an hour this way—just be sure that the bottom of the bowl sits above the surface of the water and that the water doesn’t simmer away.

Have A Great Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2012 4:48:50 AM

Hi Again Myrna,

Here's one that you all might enjoy first thing in the Morning. These light and fluffy scrambled eggs are a snap to put together for a big crowd. I usually make two pans for brunch, and I never have much left over!

Oven Scrambled Eggs

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 12 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/4 cups milk

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Pour melted butter into a glass 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and salt until well blended. Gradually whisk in milk. Pour egg mixture into the baking dish.
  3. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes, then stir, and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until eggs are set. Serve immediately. Serves 6.

My father used to throw this together. He used prepackaged diced potatoes and frozen onions and peppers until we turned him on to fresh. I've also see this done with boiled potatoes that are then coarsely grated & chunked.

Herbie's Home Fries

Ingredients

• 6 large Yukon Gold potatoes
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1-1/2 large sweet onion, diced
  • 1-1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
  • 1-1/2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
  2. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, green bell pepper and garlic, and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. Mix potatoes and remaining butter into the saucepan. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until well mixed and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Cover while cooking if moist potatoes are preferred. Serves 6.

Have A Marvelous Morning,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/6/2012 6:21:01 PM

Hello Friends,

Since we started the day today with a hearty Breakfast, let's continue it with a healthy Lunch. This quick, easy sandwich pairs the peppery kick of arugula with sweet apples and mellow, creamy melted brie on top. A cup of hot homemade soup turns it into a meal.

Open-Face Brie, Apple, and Arugula Sandwich

8 slices rustic artisan bread (about 2-1/2 by 6 inches and 3/4 inch thick)
8 tsp. Dijon mustard
4 cups packed baby arugula
1 medium Fuji apple, cored and thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
8 oz. Brie, thinly sliced

Position a rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler to high.

Put the bread slices on a rimmed baking sheet and set under the broiler. Broil until nicely toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven, flip the bread over, and spread 1 tsp. of the mustard evenly on each untoasted side. Top with the arugula and then the apple slices. Season lightly with salt and pepper, and then arrange the Brie slices in a single layer over the apples.

Broil just until the Brie starts to melt, 1 to 2 minutes (don’t let it melt too much or the apple will get warm and the arugula will wilt). Sprinkle with a little black pepper. Serves 4.

This quick vegetarian soup starts with two pantry staples—canned tomatoes and chickpeas—which are simmered with rosemary and bay leaf for extra flavor. Crispy kale makes an addictively delicious and quick garnish (and a great snack on its own)—just toss the leaves with olive oil and salt and bake in a hot oven. Be sure to dry the kale carefully after rinsing, or it won’t crisp well.

Chickpea Soup with Crispy Kale

1 small bunch kale (61/2 oz.), ribs removed, leaves torn into 1/2-inch pieces (about 6 cups), rinsed and well dried
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for serving
Fine sea salt
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
1 medium celery stalk, finely diced
1 medium carrot, finely diced
2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 14-1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
3 rosemary sprigs (about 4 inches)
1 bay leaf, preferably fresh
4 cups mild vegetable broth, such as Pacific brand
Freshly ground black pepper

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 425°F.

In a large bowl, toss the kale with 1-1/2 Tbs. of the olive oil and a generous pinch of sea salt. Spread the kale on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until crisp but still green, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on a rack.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1-1/2 Tbs. olive oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat.Add the onion, celery, carrot, and a pinch of salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes with their juice, stir to combine, and cook for 1 minute. Tie the rosemary and bay leaf in a cheesecloth pouch with string. Add the herb pouch, vegetable broth, and 1 tsp. salt to the pot. Partially cover and simmer gently until flavorful, about 20 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed. Discard the herb pouch.

Purée the soup with a hand blender or in batches in a regular blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the soup among 4 bowls, top each with some of the kale, drizzle with a little oil, and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!