Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/13/2012 1:59:47 AM

Hello Everyone,

This Evening we have a delicious, easy dish. The flavors are wonderful. I usually double the recipe so we can have leftovers.

Angel Chicken Pasta

Ingredients

• 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
  • 4 ounces cream cheese with chives
  • 1 pound angel hair pasta

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in the package of dressing mix. Blend in wine and golden mushroom soup. Mix in cream cheese, and stir until smooth. Heat through, but do not boil. Arrange chicken breasts in a single layer in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour sauce over.
  3. Bake for 60 minutes in the preheated oven. Twenty minutes before the chicken is done, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a rolling boil. Cook pasta until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta. Serves 6.

I hopre that you also try this great side dish. I made it in a frying pan, sauteed the garlic in butter, added the peas, drizzled with lemon juice and it turned out great. A bit of lemon juice, some minced garlic and a dash of Italian seasoning makes it a perfect addition to any meal.

Lemon-Butter Snow Peas

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds fresh snow peas
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning

Directions

In a microwave-safe dish, combine the snow peas, water and garlic. Cover and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Combine the butter, lemon juice and Italian seasoning. Drizzle over peas; toss to coat. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/14/2012 1:13:07 AM

Hello Friends,

Looking for a little something different to do with your Chicken, try this tonight. Based on traditional Filipino chicken adobo, or chicken stewed in vinegar, this is a perfect weeknight dish since it changes things up a bit and most of the ingredients are already in your pantry.

Chicken Adobo with Rice

1-1/2 cups long-grain white rice
Kosher salt
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1-1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch strips
Freshly ground pepper
4 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
1 dried bay leaf
1 tsp. freshly cracked black peppercorns

Put the rice, a big pinch of salt, and 3 cups of water in a 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside with the cover on.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy-duty 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, season with 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden-brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 more minutes. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaf, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer until the liquid reduces by about one-quarter, 8 to 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.

Just before serving, uncover the rice and fluff it with a fork. Serve the chicken and sauce over the rice. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2012 3:41:42 AM

Hello Friends,

Though these days it's often made with beef, classic shepherd's pie is made with a rich filling of ground (or leftover) lamb in gravy beneath a blanket of buttery mashed potatoes.

Shepherd's Pie

For the filling:
3 Tbs. olive oil
2 medium onions (10 oz. total), finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 lb. ground lamb
3 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup red wine
2/3 cup homemade or low-salt canned chicken broth
1 14-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and crushed
3 Tbs. tomato paste
4-inch sprig fresh rosemary
6 stems fresh parsley
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
For the topping:
3 lb. russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
kosher salt
1/2 cup milk
5 Tbs. unsalted butter
Freshly ground black pepper

Make the lamb filling:

In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the onions, season with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and light golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add the meat and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat has lost its pink color. Season with 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper. Add the garlic and the wine. Raise the heat if necessary so that the wine simmers vigorously and reduces down slightly (the meat will be giving off juices, too.) Add the chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary, and parsley stems. Adjust the heat until you have a lively simmer and cook the meat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced to a sauce consistency and cloaks the meat, like a bolognese sauce.

Remove from the heat, let the meat cool slightly, remove the herb stems, and then stir in the parsley leaves. Taste and adjust salt and pepper.

Make the potato topping:

Boil the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until they’re very tender when poked with a knife. Drain them and return them to the pot. Put the pot over low heat and dry out a little more moisture from the potatoes by shaking them over the heat for a minute or two. Remove from the heat and mash with a hand masher or wooden spoon. Gradually beat in the milk and 1-1/2 tsp. salt and then the butter. When the potatoes are smooth, season with pepper, taste and add more seasoning or milk, if necessary. The consistency should be fairly thick because the potatoes will soak up liquid from the meat filling during cooking.

Assemble the dish:

Heat the oven to 375°F. Spread the meat filling in a 9x13-inch baking dish. Drop large spoonfuls of potatoes evenly over the surface of the meat and gently spread to get an even layer; it shouldn’t be perfectly smooth. Bake 30 to 40 minutes in the hot oven until the potatoes are golden brown and the filling is bubbling around the edges. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serves 6-8.

May You Have A Blessed St Patty's Day,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2012 4:35:17 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since it's St. Paddy's Day Eve and all of us want to be Irish, at least for a day or two, and since as we all know, we Irish do love the "atmosphere" of Pubs, how about some Pub-style Fish & Chips here on Fishy Friday.

Fish and Chips

For the fries

• 1 gallon safflower oil
  • 4 large russet potatoes
  • kosher salt , to taste

For the batter

• 2 cups flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 dash Old Bay Seasoning
  • 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer , cold
  • 1 ½ lbs cod , cut into1-ounce strips
  • 2 cups cornstarch (for dredging)

Directions.

1. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
  2. Heat the safflower oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over high heat until it reaches 320 degrees.
  3. Using a V-slicer with a wide blade, slice the potatoes with the skin on. Place in a large bowl with cold water.
  4. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. Whisk in the beer until the batter is completely smooth and free of any lumps. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Note: The batter can be made up to 1 hour ahead of time.
  5. Drain potatoes thoroughly, removing any excess water. When oil reaches 320 degrees, submerge the potatoes in the oil. Working in small batches, fry for 2 to 3 minutes until they are pale and floppy. Remove from oil, drain, and cool to room temperature.
  6. Increase the temperature of the oil to 375 degrees. Re-immerse fries and cook until crisp and golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and drain on roasting rack. Season with kosher salt while hot and hold in the oven.
  7. Allow oil to return to 350 degrees. Lightly dredge fish strips in cornstarch. Working in small batches, dip the fish into batter and immerse into hot oil. When the batter is set, turn the pieces of fish over and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain the fish on the roasting rack. Serve with malt vinegar. Serves 2-4.

Have A Bright & Merry St Patrick's Day Me Friends,

Phil

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/17/2012 11:41:32 AM

Hi Phil,

During a breakfast-time cookery programme on TV here in the UK an American actress was fascinated to see beautifully produced scones, jam and cream. She aid that she remembered her father making

Biscuits and Gravy

It sounds, to my English palette, absolutely horrible.

Has anyone any comments?

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!