Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
2/21/2012 7:50:11 PM

Hi Pat,

Yes, I love Bacon as well, however, sometimes it doesn't like me when it comes to raising my Blood Pressure, so I have to eat it sparingly. Here's another creative use for a little bacon.

Wrapped in bacon and lashed with a double dose of fennel, this turkey meatloaf is anything but austere.

Turkey Meatloaf with Fennel and Bacon

2 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. canola or olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 cup small-diced fennel
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine
4 oz. medium-coarse white bread, such as Italian or French, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2-1/2 cups)
1 cup whole milk
2 lb. ground turkey (not 100% breast meat)
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sliced scallions
2 tsp. coarsely chopped fennel seeds
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
Kosher Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
10 oz. sliced bacon (about 9 strips)
Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a 10- to 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the onion, fennel, and garlic, stirring frequently, until softened and just beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.

Add the white wine, and simmer briskly, until almost dry, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool until warm.

In a shallow dish that holds it in a single layer, soak the bread in the milk, flipping once, until soggy but not falling apart, 5 to 10 minutes, depending on the coarseness and freshness of the bread. Lightly squeeze a handful of bread at a time to remove some of the milk (it should be wet but not drenched). Finely chop and add to the bowl with the vegetable mixture.

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F.

Add the turkey and eggs to the onion mixture. Scatter the scallions, fennel seeds, and red pepper flakes over the meat, and then sprinkle with the Worcestershire, 2-1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Use your hands to gently mix all the ingredients until just combined; try not to compact the mixture as you do this.

Heat the remaining 1 tsp. of oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Form 1 Tbs. of the meatloaf mixture into a small patty. When the oil is hot, cook the patty on both sides until cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and let cool slightly. Taste and adjust the salt, pepper, and other seasonings as needed. Repeat until you're satisfied with the flavor.

Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment. Transfer the meatloaf mixture to the baking pan and form into a 10x4-inch rectangular block (it becomes loaf-shaped as it cooks). Finish the meatloaf by draping it with slightly overlapping strips of bacon, tucking the ends under the loaf.

Bake until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F in the center of the meatloaf, 40 to 55 minutes.

Broil the meatloaf about 6 inches from the broiler element until the bacon is brown and crisped, about 3 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board or serving platter with a large spatula and cut into 3/4- to 1-inch-thick slices. Serves 8.
Potatoes and leeks are a classic flavor pairing, and here, they come together in luscious, creamy mashed potatoes. Serve with this meatloaf, with some roast chicken, or as a bed for seared or roasted fish. This recipe doubles or triples easily, but add the milk in increments, as you may not need it all.

Sour Cream and Leek Mashed Potatoes

1-1/2 lb. Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
Kosher salt
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
2 medium leeks (white and light-green parts only), halved lengthwise, washed, and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide pieces (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk, heated; more as needed
Freshly ground white or black pepper

Put the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, add a generous 1/2 tsp. salt, and lower the heat to a steady simmer. Cover the pot partially and cook until the potatoes are just tender when pierced with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks and sauté, stirring often, until tender but not browned, about 6 minutes.

Drain the potatoes and return to the pan. Steam-dry over low heat, shaking the pan until the potatoes leave a light film on the bottom, about 3 minutes.

Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Stir in the leeks, sour cream, and milk, adding more milk as needed to reach your desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/24/2012 8:50:31 PM
Hello Friends,
Happy Friday! This dish is ready in less than 15 minutes, thanks to jarred Thai red curry paste. Be sure to use underripe or barely ripe bananas, which are less sweet and hold together well in the sauce. Serve with the Gingery Sautéed Carrots shown below and some zero-calorie Miracle Rice.

Thai-Style Halibut and Banana Curry with Peanuts

1 cup well-shaken canned coconut milk (not light)
1 Tbs. Thai red curry paste
12 oz. skinless halibut fillet, about 1-1/2 inches thick, cut into 2 pieces
Kosher salt
1 medium lime, zest finely grated, then halved
3 medium scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts kept separate)
1 very large underripe or barely ripe banana (or 2 small), halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch half-moons
2 Tbs. chopped salted roasted peanuts
1/2 cup lightly packed chopped fresh cilantro

In a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan, whisk the coconut milk and curry paste until smooth.

Sprinkle the fish with 1/2 tsp. salt; then sprinkle with the lime zest. Squeeze a lime half over the fish.

Bring the coconut-curry mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat and then arrange the fillets in the pan, skinned side down. Add the white parts of the scallions, cover the pan, and simmer, adjusting the heat as necessary, for 2 minutes. Add the bananas and half of the peanuts to the sauce. Sprinkle half of the cilantro over the top. Cover the pan and continue to simmer until the fish flakes easily but is slightly translucent rather than fully opaque at the very center (check with a paring knife), 2 to 4 minutes. Squeeze the remaining lime half over the fish. Top with the scallion greens and the remaining peanuts and cilantro, and serve. Serves 2.
These carrots have a nice spicy kick, courtesy of the fresh ginger, but a touch of maple syrup mellows them. Try to keep the size of your carrot “sticks” as consistent as possible so they cook at about the same rate; err on the smaller size if you have to.
Gingery Sauteed Carrots
1 Tbs. maple syrup
2 tsp. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. carrots, trimmed, peeled, and cut into sticks about 4 inches long and 1/3 inch wide (see tip, right)
Kosher salt
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
Tip: To prep the carrots, cut each crosswise into 4-inch lengths and then halve each piece lengthwise. Put each piece on a flat cut side and slice lengthwise 1/3 inch thick.

Combine the maple syrup, lime juice, and 1 Tbs. water in a small dish and set near the stove. Set a shallow serving dish near the stove, too.

In a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan, heat 1 Tbs. of the butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the carrots and season with 3/4 tsp. salt. Toss with tongs to coat well. Cook, gently tossing occasionally at first and then more frequently, until most of the carrots are well browned and tender when pierced with a fork, 6 to 9 minutes (if the carrots aren’t fully tender but look like they’re burning, reduce the heat to medium).

Reduce the heat to low, add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter and the ginger and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan with a heatproof rubber spatula, until the butter has melted and the ginger is fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Carefully add the maple syrup mixture and cook, stirring, until the liquid reduces to a glazey consistency that coats the carrots, 15 to 20 seconds.
Immediately transfer the carrots to the serving dish, scraping the pan with the spatula to get all of the gingery sauce. Let sit for a few minutes and then serve warm. Serves 2-3 as a Side dish

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/27/2012 11:11:53 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here tender pork chops are browned and sauteed with lemon juice, garlic, paprika, and cayenne pepper. The lemon and garlic give this dish lots of zip and the cayenne pepper gives it just the right amount of heat, resulting in a nice blend of flavors.

Spicy Lemon Pork Saute

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 pork loin chops, 1/2 inch thick
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1/2 tablespoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. Brown pork chops about 5 minutes per side.
  2. Mix lemon juice, garlic, paprika, thyme, and cayenne pepper into the skillet. Cover, and simmer 20 minutes, cooking the chops to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
  3. Remove pork chops from the skillet, and set aside. Over high heat, reduce the remaining liquid for about 5 minutes. Return pork chops to the skillet briefly, coating them on both sides with the reduced mixture. Serves 4.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/28/2012 7:36:40 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today we have a simple and delicious beef dish with mixed vegetables. You don't have to stick with these vegetables. Change them to your personal taste. The fresh ginger and soy sauce give this dish an Asian flavor. Try serving it over zero-calorie rice or noodles.

Beef with Vegetables

Ingredients

• 8 ounces beef filet, cut into 1/2 inch strips
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger root
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 carrot, chopped
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute the beef slices in the oil for 5 minutes, or until well browned. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and saute for 5 more minutes. Then add the green bell pepper, carrot and beef broth. Reduce heat to low and let simmer.
  2. Meanwhile, in a separate small bowl, combine the corn flour, sugar, soy sauce and oyster sauce, if desired. Stir thoroughly, forming a smooth paste. Slowly add this to the simmering beef and vegetables, stirring well, and let simmer to desired thickness. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4.

Have A Delightful Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/29/2012 9:04:42 PM

Hello Friends,

I first tried this fuss-free way to cook traditional corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's Day a few years ago. Now it's a regular in my menu planning. This is quite tasty with Dijon mustard and some homemade crusty bread.

Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ingredients

• 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 1 pound baby carrots
  • 3 cups water
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 (3 pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet, cut in half
  • 1 small head cabbage, cut into wedges

Directions

1. Place the onion, potatoes and carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine water, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, vinegar, pepper and contents of spice packet; pour over vegetables. Top with brisket and cabbage. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving. Serves 6.

This hearty bread has excellent flavor with a wonderful crust and it's delicious!

Crusty Potato Bread

Ingredients

• 3 1/4 cups bread flour
  • 1/2 cup instant mashed potato flakes
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast

Directions

1. Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select White Bread Cycle; press Start. Yield One 2lb. Loaf.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!