Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
3/1/2012 3:51:21 AM
Hi Phil,

Corn beef and cabbage, brings back some not so good memories. In 2005 after my accident, I was in a home for 3 months. In March they started with the corn beef and cabbage, well that is what they called it. It was the most awful tasted stuff I ever tasted.. One bite and that was all i could handle. I cringe to this day thinking of the horrid food. From then on we had corn beef and cabbage ever other week. I just ate the salad of lettuce with italian dressing and that was it. Oh the salad was made of iceburg lettuce and maybe a chip of carrot, or sometimes a dab of celery, or even a crumb of pepper and sometimes I got a piece of tomato, you know the hard ones, that have no flavor. It too was bad. No wonder I lost 40 lbs. I could not eat their food.

Just wanted to tell you that your corn beef and cabbage looks good, I might be able to eat it. lol

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2012 5:20:14 AM

Hi Phil,

I remember St. Patrick's Day when I was 15, my mom suddenly came down with the flu, and said I had to finish making the corned beef & cabbage holiday dinner, that's also her birthday weekend, and relatives were coming over soon...WHAT?! I didn't know anything about cooking, still don't know much...it's not difficult, just unexpected when someone hands you a big serving spoon and announces they're sick and you need to finish cooking for 12 people.

I learned something about cooking, food is more tolerable when I have to cook for myself, because I was an extremely picky eater until I was a teenager, and the more I had to help, the more I was able to eat different things. I think going thru the process of food preparation is also a process of mental preparation to get ready to taste things with more appreciation as The Cook, instead of as a little kid who doesn't want to eat weird unusually stinky stuff...cooked cabbage is an acquired taste, I actually prefer sauerkraut (hot or cold), or raw cabbage or coleslaw.

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2012 6:14:08 AM
thanks for corned beef and cabbage recipe phil. isn't this dish really high in sodium??

paat
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2012 1:36:53 PM
Kathleen,

I love your stories about when you were at home, they always give me a good feeling and a chuckle.
I agree with you about cabbage. I too would rather have kraut or cold slaw. Or I just like cooked cabbage with potatoes and butter. Mom always had bacon on the site. It is so good.

Quote:

Hi Phil,

I remember St. Patrick's Day when I was 15, my mom suddenly came down with the flu, and said I had to finish making the corned beef & cabbage holiday dinner, that's also her birthday weekend, and relatives were coming over soon...WHAT?! I didn't know anything about cooking, still don't know much...it's not difficult, just unexpected when someone hands you a big serving spoon and announces they're sick and you need to finish cooking for 12 people.

I learned something about cooking, food is more tolerable when I have to cook for myself, because I was an extremely picky eater until I was a teenager, and the more I had to help, the more I was able to eat different things. I think going thru the process of food preparation is also a process of mental preparation to get ready to taste things with more appreciation as The Cook, instead of as a little kid who doesn't want to eat weird unusually stinky stuff...cooked cabbage is an acquired taste, I actually prefer sauerkraut (hot or cold), or raw cabbage or coleslaw.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2012 9:33:31 PM

Hello Everyone,

Packed with protein and oh-so tasty, lean fish with a simple, lemony sauce is a perfect healthy dinner. Sweet-tasting Tilapia goes great with your favorite low-calorie marinades and this easy recipe for Tilapia only takes a few minutes to prepare, uses few ingredients, and is really quite flavorful.

Baked Tilapia

Ingredients

• 4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning TM, or to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste
  • 1 lemon, sliced
  • 1 (16 ounce) package frozen cauliflower with broccoli and red pepper

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees F). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Place the tilapia fillets in the bottom of the baking dish and dot with butter. Season with Old Bay seasoning and garlic salt. Top each one with a slice or two of lemon. Arrange the frozen mixed vegetables around the fish, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
  3. Cover the dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until vegetables are tender and fish flakes easily with a fork. Serves 4.

I also like to whip up a batch of this creamy tartar sauce whenever I plan to serve fish or seafood. You'll be delighted with its excellent flavor.

Low-Fat Tartar Sauce

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish, drained
  • 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 2 drops hot pepper sauce

Directions

1. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.

Have A Happy Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!