Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/19/2011 7:03:43 PM
Hello Friends,

This easy one-pot meatless main gets its complex flavor from a combination of spices including coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, and cinnamon. The spices marry in a rich, flavorful sauce that has a comforting, belly-warming appeal. This curry only needs a basic brown rice or white basmati rice to be a complete meal.

South Indian-Style Vegetable Curry

Ingredients

2 Tbs. canola oil
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
One 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated (1 Tbs.)
1 Tbs. ground coriander
1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
3/4 tsp. ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. cayenne
1 Tbs. tomato paste
2 cups lower-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
1 cup light coconut milk
One 3-inch cinnamon stick
Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small cauliflower, broken into 1-1/2-inch florets (about 4 cups)
1 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
2 medium tomatoes, cored, seeded, and coarsely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (about 1 cup)
One 15-1/2-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
4 oz. baby spinach (about 4 lightly packed cups)
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
2 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro

Preparation

In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven or other heavy-duty pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium (or medium low if necessary) and cook until the onion is richly browned, 5 to 7 minutes more. Add the garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, for 1 minute to blend the flavors. Add the coriander, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne; stir for 30 seconds to toast the spices. Add the tomato paste and stir until well blended with the aromatics, about 1 minute.

Add the broth, coconut milk, cinnamon stick, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low or low and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and carrots. Raise the heat to medium high and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.

Stir in the chickpeas, spinach, lime juice, and zest; cook until the spinach has wilted, about 3 minutes more. Season to taste with salt. Serve garnished with the cilantro. Serves 6.

Happy Monday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2011 6:48:54 PM

Hello My Friends,

What could be simpler for a weeknight supper than a one-pot meal? This one comes together with chicken thighs and a few other ingredients you likely already have in your pantry or growing in your garden. The dish is complete as is, but why not keep it Italian and serve with some Garlic-Parmesan Bread.

Braised Italian Chicken with Green Beans, Tomatoes & Olives

Ingredients
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat and each cut into 3 uniform pieces
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 to 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut in half
3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1/3 cup dry red wine
1 14-1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup pitted, quartered Kalamata olives

Preparation

Season the chicken with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Spread the flour on a plate, and lightly dredge the chicken in the flour. Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a large Dutch oven or casserole over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering hot. Cook the chicken in two to three batches (to avoid crowding the pot) until well browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer each batch to a plate as it finishes, and if the pot looks dry between batches, add the remaining 1 Tbs. oil.

Return the chicken to the pot, add the green beans, garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the red wine and cook until it almost completely evaporates, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, rosemary, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a steady simmer. Cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar, and cook, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes. Add the olives, and continue simmering with the lid ajar until the chicken and green beans are very tender, about 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Perfect alongside pastas and soups, this easy garlic and cheese mixture adds just the right amount of flavor to artisan breads.

Garlic-Parmesan Bread

Ingredients
8 Tbs. (1/2 cup) salted butter, softened
1/4 cup lightly packed finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, very finely minced or grated on a rasp-style grater
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium loaf artisan-style bread with a tight crumb (I like wide bâtard shapes, not baguettes)

Preparation

Heat the oven to 425°F.

In a food processor or a large bowl, combine the butter, Parmigiano, oil, garlic, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Pulse a few times to blend but don’t overprocess or the butter might separate. If mixing by hand, mash together with a fork or a wooden spoon.

Slice the bread 1 inch thick, cutting almost but not all the way through the bottom crust, so it’s easy to pull apart. Spread a light, even coating of the butter mixture on both sides of each slice of bread. (You may not need all the butter; refrigerate any leftover for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.) Wrap the bread in foil and put the loaf on a baking sheet to catch any butter that runs out. Heat in the oven for about 15 minutes, then open the top of the foil to slightly crisp the top of the loaf, about 5 more minutes. Serve while hot. Serves 6.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2011 7:10:25 PM

Hello Everyone,

According to my Italian Wife, this is how they do eggplant parmigiana in Italy: no breading and no puddles of cheese, just thin layers of fried eggplant with homemade sauce, a little fresh mozzarella, and good Parmigiano-Reggiano. It doesn’t get more authentic than this. Serve with Spaghetti with Garlic, Hot Pepper & Pecorino, and a fresh arugula salad.

Eggplant Parmigiana

For the eggplant:

2-1/2 lb. eggplant (about 4 small or 2 medium-large)
Kosher salt
3 cups olive oil (or a blend of olive and canola oils)
For the sauce:

3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut in half
3-1/2 lb. plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped, or two 28-oz. cans diced tomatoes (preferably San Marzano), drained
Kosher salt
12 large fresh basil leaves, torn in half
For assembling:

6 oz. fresh mozzarella, torn into 1/2-inch pieces
1-1/4 cups lightly packed freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (3-1/4 oz.)
Salt the eggplant:

Peel the eggplant and cut each crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cover the bottom and sides of a large colander with a few eggplant slices and sprinkle generously with salt. Top with more layers of eggplant and salt until you run out of slices (you’ll end up with five or six layers). Let the colander sit in the sink or over a large bowl for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours. The salt will draw out water and reduce the eggplant’s ability to absorb oil.

Meanwhile, make the sauce:

Heat the 3 Tbs. oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and barely golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and 1/2 tsp. salt. Raise the heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down into a sauce, 20 to 25 minutes. If the sauce begins to dry up before the tomatoes break down, add warm water 1 Tbs. at a time. Lower the heat to medium and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until you have a thick, chunky sauce, 5 to 10 minutes more. (Too much liquid in the sauce will make the finished dish watery.) Turn off the heat, remove the garlic, and stir in the basil leaves. Season to taste with more salt, if necessary, and set aside.

Fry the eggplant:

Dry the eggplant by lining a large plate with a paper towel and setting a few slices on it. Top with another paper towel and layer on a few more slices. Repeat until you run out of slices.

Attach a candy thermometer to the side of a 3- or 4-quart saucepan. Add the olive oil and heat over medium-high heat. When the oil reaches 375°F, add as many eggplant slices as will fit comfortably in a single layer. Don’t crowd the pan. If you don’t have a candy thermometer, you can test the oil temperature by dipping a tip of one eggplant slice in the oil. If it immediately sizzles, the oil is ready.

Cook, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes on the first side and 1 minute more on the second. Working quickly, pick up each slice with a slotted spoon and press the back of another large spoon against the slice to squeeze out as much oil as possible. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat until all the slices are fried, layering the fried eggplant between paper towels and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain the frying temperature.

Assemble and bake:

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450°F.

Layer about one-third of the eggplant slices so they overlap slightly on the bottom of a 10x8-inch (or similar size) baking dish. With the back of a spoon or an offset spatula, spread about one-third of the tomato sauce in a very thin layer over the eggplant. Evenly sprinkle about half of the mozzarella and 1/3 cup of the Parmigiano over the tomato sauce. Make another layer with one-third of the eggplant, one-third of the tomato sauce, the remaining mozzarella, and 1/3 cup Parmigiano. Make one last layer with the remaining eggplant, tomato sauce, and Parmigiano. Bake until the cheese has melted evenly and the top is bubbly, with browned edges, 20 to 25 minutes. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving. Serves 4.

This dish is a cross between two Italian classics. The garlic and red pepper flakes are the base for Spaghetti Aglio, Olio & Peperoncino, while the black pepper and pecorino pair up in Spaghetti Pepe & Cacio. Here, they form a rather tasty mix.

Spaghetti with Garlic, Hot Pepper & Pecorino

Ingredients
Kosher salt
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, cut in half and smashed
Heaping 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
3/4 lb. dried spaghetti
3/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Freshly ground black pepper

Tip: It’s not just the sauce that needs seasoning. Tease out the nutty flavor of pasta by adding a couple of tablespoons of kosher salt to the cooking water. The water should taste salty, like the ocean.

Preparation

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.

Heat the oil and garlic in a 10-inch straight-sided sauté pan over medium-low heat, stirring until the garlic becomes fragrant and starts to brown all over, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and rosemary, cook for 30 seconds, and then remove from the heat.

Cook the spaghetti in the boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until it’s just tender to the tooth (see the package for cooking time). Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water and drain the pasta.

Return the sauté pan to medium heat and fish out and discard the garlic. Add the drained pasta and 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, tossing and stirring, to blend the flavors. If the pasta isn’t tender, add the remainder of the cooking water and continue to cook and stir until done. Toss with half of the pecorino and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Season with salt and more pepper to taste.

Serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining pecorino and a few grinds of black pepper. Serves 4.

Happy Tuesday Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/22/2011 8:01:27 PM
Hello My Friends,

Today we have a light but super-tasty pasta dish, with fresh asparagus cooked in broth with sauteed garlic and seasoned chicken.

Penne with Chicken and Asparagus

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package dried penne pasta
  • 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into cubes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • garlic powder to taste
  • 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 bunch slender asparagus spears, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
  2. Warm 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken, and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Cook until chicken is cooked through and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken to paper towels.
  3. Pour chicken broth into the skillet. Then stir in asparagus, garlic, and a pinch more garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Cover, and steam until the asparagus is just tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet, and warm through.
  4. Stir chicken mixture into pasta, and mix well. Let sit about 5 minutes. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil, stir again, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/22/2011 8:05:22 PM
Hello Again My Friends,

This is quick Meatless Meal, that's also quite easy to make. Serve with a little Wine and some garlic bread.

Cavatelli and Broccoli

Ingredients

• 2 heads fresh broccoli, cut into florets
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 pound cavatelli pasta
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a large pot of boiling water, blanch broccoli for about 5 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly golden, being careful not to burn it. Add the broccoli. Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Broccoli should be tender yet crisp to the bite.
  3. Meanwhile, cook cavatelli in a large pot of boiling salted water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Drain, and place in a large serving bowl. Toss with the broccoli, and season with salt and hot pepper flakes. Serve with parmesan cheese. Serves 8.

Have A Great Day,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!