Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/17/2011 8:00:51 PM

Hello My Friends,

This is the perfect fix for those times when you want a deeply flavorful chicken breast, but don't have the luxury of time for a rub or marinade. This relish, with its combination of olives, almonds, capers, lemon zest, and herbs is so good, you'll skip the marinade more often. Serve it together with these Squash Patties for a treat that can't be beat.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Green-Olive Relish

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
About 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lb. whole green olives (about 1-1/2 cups), such as Lucques or Picholine, rinsed, pitted, and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup blanched almonds, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
2 Tbs. capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
2 Tbs. roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2-1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1-1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 small clove garlic, pounded to a paste with a pinch of salt

Preparation

Prepare a hot grill fire.

Put one chicken breast on one side of a large piece of plastic wrap. Drizzle about 1 tsp. oil on the breast and loosely fold half of the plastic wrap over the chicken. (There should be enough room to allow the chicken to expand when you pound it.) Using a meat mallet or a heavy sauté pan, pound the chicken so that it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Discard the plastic wrap and repeat the process with the remaining breasts. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and coat with 2 Tbs. of the oil. Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.

In a medium bowl, combine the olives, almonds, capers, parsley, lemon zest, thyme, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the oil.

Lay the chicken on the grill and cook, undisturbed, until it has grill marks, 2 to 3 min. Flip the chicken and continue to grill until it’s cooked through, about 2 to 3 min. more. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Let rest for 2 to 3 min. Holding your knife at an angle, cut the chicken into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange them on a platter or on four dinner plates. Spoon the relish on top or to the side of the chicken and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Top these delicious, cheesy squash patties with sour cream and a dash of hot sauce. Everyone will love them.

Yellow Squash Patties

Ingredients

• 8 medium yellow squash, shredded
  • 1 onion, shredded
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions

1. Place the squash and onion in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and drain about 30 minutes, until no longer moist.
  2. In a bowl, mix the squash and onion, flour, cornmeal, egg, and cheese. Season with pepper.
  3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop squash mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into the skillet, and cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serves 12.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2011 10:38:26 PM

Hello Again Friends,

Chipotle chiles in adobo lend a nice smoky overtone to this meatless meal, while toasted pepitas folded into the filling give it an unexpected crunch. into the filling give it an unexpected crunch. Serve with Cilantro-Lime Guacamole along with some tortilla chips or fresh vegetables for dipping.

Smoky Black Bean & Cheddar Burrito with Baby Spinach

Ingredients
4 burrito-size (9- to 10-inch) flour tortillas
15 grape tomatoes, quartered lengthwise (from 1 pint)
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice; more as needed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup raw pepitas (optional)
1 tsp. seeded and minced chipotle plus 1 tsp. adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles en adobo)
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 19-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1-1/2 oz. baby spinach (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)

Preparation

Heat the oven to 250°F. Wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and warm in the oven.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl toss the tomatoes with 1 Tbs. of the lime juice, about 1-1/2 Tbs. of the cilantro, and a generous pinch of salt. Set aside.

If using the pepitas, heat 1 Tbs. of the olive oil and the pepitas in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until they are puffed and some are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pepitas to a plate lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and toss.

Return the pan to medium heat. Add the remaining 1 Tbs. olive oil. (Or if not using pepitas, heat the 2 Tbs. oil over medium heat.) Add the chipotle, adobo sauce, and cumin. Stir to blend into the oil, and then add the beans and 2 Tbs. water to the pan, stirring to blend. Simmer until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Mash about half of the beans with a fork. Stir in the cheddar and the remaining 2-1/2 Tbs. cilantro and 1 Tbs. lime juice. Season to taste with salt. If the beans seem too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water to thin to a soft, spreadable consistency.

Working with one tortilla at a time, spread about 1/4 of the beans along the bottom third of a tortilla. Top with 1/4 of the spinach, and sprinkle with about 1/4 of the tomatoes and pepitas (if using). If you like, add a little lime juice and sour cream on top. Fold the bottom edge over the filling, fold in the sides, and roll up the burrito. Serves 4.

Taste your guacamole as you're making it. Avocados can take a fair amount of lime juice and cilantro, but since both of these ingredients can vary in strength, it's a good idea to taste as you go.

Cilantro-Lime Guacamole

Ingredients
2 medium-size ripe avocados
2 to 3 Tbs. fresh lime juice
3/4 tsp. kosher salt; more to taste
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
Pinch ground cumin
3 to 4 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp. minced fresh jalapeño

Preparation

Halve the avocados, pit them, and scoop the flesh with a large spoon into a small mixing bowl. Sprinkle the 2 Tbs. lime juice over the avocados, add the salt, coriander, and cumin, and use a wooden spoon to break up the avocados, stirring until they're coarsely mashed. Stir in 3 Tbs. of the cilantro and the jalapeño. Taste and add more lime juice, cilantro, and salt as needed. Transfer to a small serving bowl and serve with tortilla chips. Serves 4-6.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
9/18/2011 5:32:40 PM
Quote:

Hello My Friends,

This is the perfect fix for those times when you want a deeply flavorful chicken breast, but don't have the luxury of time for a rub or marinade. This relish, with its combination of olives, almonds, capers, lemon zest, and herbs is so good, you'll skip the marinade more often. Serve it together with these Squash Patties for a treat that can't be beat.

Grilled Chicken Breasts with Green-Olive Relish

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
About 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 lb. whole green olives (about 1-1/2 cups), such as Lucques or Picholine, rinsed, pitted, and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup blanched almonds, lightly toasted and roughly chopped
2 Tbs. capers, rinsed and coarsely chopped
2 Tbs. roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2-1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1-1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 small clove garlic, pounded to a paste with a pinch of salt

Preparation

Prepare a hot grill fire.

Put one chicken breast on one side of a large piece of plastic wrap. Drizzle about 1 tsp. oil on the breast and loosely fold half of the plastic wrap over the chicken. (There should be enough room to allow the chicken to expand when you pound it.) Using a meat mallet or a heavy sauté pan, pound the chicken so that it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Discard the plastic wrap and repeat the process with the remaining breasts. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides, and coat with 2 Tbs. of the oil. Let sit at room temperature while you prepare the other ingredients.

In a medium bowl, combine the olives, almonds, capers, parsley, lemon zest, thyme, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the oil.

Lay the chicken on the grill and cook, undisturbed, until it has grill marks, 2 to 3 min. Flip the chicken and continue to grill until it’s cooked through, about 2 to 3 min. more. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Let rest for 2 to 3 min. Holding your knife at an angle, cut the chicken into 1/2-inch-thick slices and arrange them on a platter or on four dinner plates. Spoon the relish on top or to the side of the chicken and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Top these delicious, cheesy squash patties with sour cream and a dash of hot sauce. Everyone will love them.

Yellow Squash Patties

Ingredients

• 8 medium yellow squash, shredded
  • 1 onion, shredded
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Directions

1. Place the squash and onion in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and drain about 30 minutes, until no longer moist.
  2. In a bowl, mix the squash and onion, flour, cornmeal, egg, and cheese. Season with pepper.
  3. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop squash mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into the skillet, and cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Serves 12.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

Phil, OMG, I knew better than to come over here before I have eaten!! I want some of that chicken and the yellow squash. Could you send it right over??!!! Looks delicious.

Now I must go cook some hamburgers for lunch. Will fix that chicken later at least, can't get any yellow squash right now.

Thanks,

Sara

+0
9/18/2011 5:35:17 PM

This looks great also!! I made some Chipolte sauce from some red peppers and it really tastes good. Need one of my sons to show up and help me eat though!

Happy Sunday,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2011 6:56:49 PM

Hi Sara,

Thanks for stopping back by and I'm glad that you liked the recipes. My favorite little Country store always seems to have some Yellow Squash available. Obviously not home grown, however it will usually works fairly well.

Here's Today we have a variation on the classic chicken and dumpling casserole. This flavorful main dish shows its Hungarian roots with colorful paprika used to season a sour cream sauce. My grandmother used to make this hearty chicken dish whenever we visited her. It was one of the things that I'd often eat until I was ready to bust.

Chicken Paprikash

Ingredients

• 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces, with skin
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sour cream

Directions

1. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, 2 teaspoons of salt, and 1/2 cup of water. Gradually stir in 2 1/2 cups of flour to make a stiff batter. Using two spoons, scoop out some batter with one spoon and use the second to scrap off the spoonful of batter into the boiling water. Repeat until several dumplings are cooking. Cook dumplings for 10 minutes or until they float to the top; then lift from the water and drain in a colander or sieve. Rinse with warm water.
  2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and add chicken; cook until lightly browned, turning once. Add onion to skillet and cook 5 to 8 minutes more. Pour in 1 1/2 cups of water, and season with paprika, salt, and pepper; cook 10 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
  3. Stir 2 tablespoons of flour into sour cream; then slowly stir into the onion mixture remaining in the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened.
  4. To serve, add dumplings to the sour cream/onion mixture, then spoon onto dinner plates adding a piece of chicken. Serves 4.

This recipe, excerpted from the cookbook The Food You Crave, is called Jewel Roasted Vegetables, because the chunky colors look like gems on the plate: ruby red beets, deep orange carrots, and emerald Brussels sprouts.

Jewel Roasted Vegetables

Ingredients

4 medium beets
1-1/2 pounds carrots
1-1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
8 large cloves garlic, left unpeeled
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

Put the beets into a small baking dish and rub them with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and roast for 30 minutes.

While the beets are roasting, peel and cut the carrots into 1-inch-thick rounds, and trim the Brussels sprouts and cut them in half lengthwise. Put the carrots, sprouts, and garlic cloves in a large baking dish and toss with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

After the beets have been cooking for 30 minutes, add the large pan of vegetables to the oven separately, and cook everything for 1 hour more, stirring the vegetable mixture once or twice.

Remove the beets from the oven and transfer them to a cutting board to cool. Stir the thyme into the carrot and Brussels sprout mixture and let it continue to cook for another 10 minutes while the beets are cooled and cut.

When the beets are cool enough to handle, after about 5 minutes, peel, then cut them into 1-inch chunks. Remove the other vegetables from the oven, toss with the beets, season with salt and pepper, and serve. Serves 4-6.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!