Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/13/2011 7:44:01 PM
Hi Sara,

So nice of you to stop by to visit, and I'm glad that you liked the recipes.

Make tonight's dinner feel like a mini vacation to Italy with this quick pasta that pays tribute to the classic Italian flavors like sweet sausage, fennel, tomatoes, and fresh basil. Serve this along with a Classic Caesar Salad.

Orecchiette with Fennel, Sausage & Tomatoes

Ingredients
Kosher salt
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb. sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
1 large fennel bulb (about 1-1/4 lb.), quartered, cored, and finely chopped
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 cups fresh (or canned) seeded diced tomatoes, drained if using canned
12 basil leaves, torn into small pieces
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 lb. dried orecchiette
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano

Preparation

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.

Heat 1-1/2 Tbs. of the oil in a 10-inch straight-sided saute pan over medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a metal spoon, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a paper-towel-lined plate and pour off and discard any fat left in the pan.

Set the pan over medium heat and add the remaining 1-1/2 Tbs. oil, the fennel, and 1 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until the fennel softens and browns lightly, about 6 minutes. Raise the heat to high, add the wine, and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits, until almost evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.

Add the sausage, tomatoes, half of the basil, the red pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Lower the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes break down, 6 to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook the orecchiette in the boiling water, stirring frequently until just tender, about 11 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain well. Return the pasta to the pot, add the sauce, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, for 1 minute so the sauce and pasta meld. If the pasta seems dry, add enough cooking water to moisten it to your liking. Stir in half of the pecorino, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve sprinkled with the remaining pecorino and basil. Serves 4.

There are several stories about the creation of this traditional favorite salad. But whatever its true origins, making one at home is as simple as shopping for the best ingredients and making your own homemade croutons and dressing.

Classic Caesar Salad

For the dressing

1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
6 oil-packed anchovies
4 large cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1 large egg yolk
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated (1/2 cup)
Tip: Note: This recipe contains a raw egg. If that’s a concern, use a pasteurized egg.
For the salad

2-3/4 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 large head romaine lettuce (about 1 lb., 6 oz.), trimmed, quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1- to 1-1/2 -inch strips (12 to 13 cups), washed and dried
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Garlic-Butter Croutons*
*Garlic-Butter Croutons

4 large slices white sandwich bread, cut into 3/4- to 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter
2 large cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
Kosher salt

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F.

Put the bread cubes on a large rimmed baking sheet. Melt the butter in a 1- to 2-quart sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic, mashing it gently with the back of a wooden spoon, and raise the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the butter is fragrant (the garlic may start to brown around the edges), 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the garlic. Drizzle the butter over the bread cubes. Toss with your hands until the cubes are evenly coated. (Don’t worry if some crumble.) Spread them in a single layer and sprinkle with 3/4 tsp. salt. Bake until the croutons are a deep golden-brown, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool completely. (You can store the croutons in an air-tight container for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 weeks.)

Make the dressing

In a liquid measuring cup, combine the canola and olive oils. Put the remaining dressing ingredients except the Parmigiano in a blender and blend until thoroughly combined. With the motor running on medium high, carefully pour in the oils in a slow, steady stream. The dressing will emulsify as soon as all of the oil is incorporated. Stop the motor, add the Parmigiano, and quickly blend to combine. (You can store the dressing, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)

Make the salad

Cut the Parmigiano into small cubes and pulse it in a small food processor until coarsely grated to the consistency of large pieces of sand (not too fine). Alternatively, grate the cheese on the small round holes of a box grater.

Put the lettuce in a large salad bowl. Drizzle a scant 1/3 cup of the dressing over the lettuce and toss well. Taste and add more dressing if necessary, a teaspoon or so at a time, until the leaves are nicely dressed. Add 1/4 cup of the Parmigiano and toss well. Taste a leaf and add more cheese if you like or pass more at the table. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the croutons, toss well, and serve. Serves 4-6.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/15/2011 7:49:09 PM

Hi Friends,

In today's Meal, Kielbasa is cooked on the stovetop with potatoes and onion. It doesn't get any heartier than this. This is an old recipe from my ex-wife's Grandmother. Good Polish-Slovak food! She would always say. "Eat more!"

Polish Meat and Potatoes

Ingredients

• 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1-1/2 onion, chopped
  • 3 green bell peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1-1/2 (16 ounce) packages kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces

Directions

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions and potatoes for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce flame to med and stir in bell pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in kielbasa, cover, and cook for 15 minutes, or until onions are caramelized. Serves 6.

This recipe came from that same little Polish Grandma, and it is fantastic. Everyone asks me for the recipe.

Polish Egg Bread

Ingredients

• 1-3/4 packages active dry yeast
  • 2/3 cup lukewarm water, divided
  • 1-1/3 cups whole milk, scalded
  • 1/3 cup butter, cut into pieces
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3-1/4 whole eggs, room temperature
  • 1-3/4 pounds bread flour
  • 1/2 cup superfine sugar

Directions

1. Dissolve yeast packages in 1 cup of warm water. Rinse and dry a small saucepan to prevent milk from scorching and sticking when scalded. Bring milk to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and add remaining 1 cup warm water, butter, and salt; stir to blend. Once cooled to lukewarm, stir in dissolved yeast.
  2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually stir eggs into milk mixture. Once blended, add flour gradually until few or no lumps remain. Divide dough in half, and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  4. Once risen, turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and divide into 2 equal portions. (Dough will be very sticky and soft at this point.) Divide each portion into 3 pieces; braid together, and place on a baking sheet.
  5. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until hollow-sounding when tapped on top. Let cool, and enjoy! Makes 2 Loaves, about 20 slices.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/15/2011 8:09:33 PM

Hello Again Everyone,

Today's Vegetarian recipe is a terrific dish, loaded with succulent Mediterranean vegetables.

Ratatouille

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1-1/2 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • salt to taste
  • 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
  • 3 zucchini, sliced
  • 1-1/2 large onion, sliced into rings
  • 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1-1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 3 large tomatoes, chopped

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
  2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
  3. Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serves 6.

These savory wedges aren't hard to make, but they taste great. They're terrific served with soups, salads and all Italian dishes.

Italian Bread Wedges

Ingredients

• 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

TOPPING:

• 1/3 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • Dash pepper
  • 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the oil, salt, remaining water and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
  2. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Pat dough flat. Let rest for 5 minutes. Press into a greased 14-in. pizza pan. Spread with salad dressing. Combine the garlic powder, oregano, thyme and pepper; sprinkle over dough. Top with cheeses. Bake at 450 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Makes 12 Wedges.

Happy Thursday My Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2011 7:38:58 PM

Hello Friends,

For today's meal, Linguine is tossed with a lemony wine and shrimp mixture. This is so easy to make, it's done in minutes, and absolutely delicious too. Also, it keeps quite well in the fridge. Serve with a tossed Salad and some warm, crusty French Bread.

Shrimp Lemon Pepper Linguini

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 (8 ounce) packages linguine pasta
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 9 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white wine
  • 1-1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 3/4 teaspoon lemon zest
  • salt to taste
  • 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1-1/2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguine, and cook for 9 to 13 minutes or until al dente; drain.
  2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and saute garlic about 1 minute. Mix in chicken broth, wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer until liquid is reduced by about 1/2.
  3. Mix shrimp, butter, parsley, and basil into the saucepan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until shrimp is opaque. Stir in the cooked linguine, and continue cooking 2 minutes, until well coated. Serves 6.
Spinach Salad
INGREDIENTS
1 (6 ounce) package fresh baby spinach
1 green onion, thinly sliced
1 hard-cooked egg, chopped
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
3 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS
In a large salad bowl, toss spinach, onion, egg and bacon. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat salad dressing on high for 30-45 seconds or until warm. Pour over the salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Happy Friday My Friends,
Phil
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2011 8:12:40 PM

Hello Again Friends,

For our Vegetarian meal, here's an absolutely fresh-from-the-garden delight, combining goat cheese with arugula, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and then tossing it together with some hot penne pasta. This is a quick, easy, and elegant dish. Serve either as a side dish, or the way I do, as a main coarse with a good loaf of bread.

Goat Cheese and Arugula over Penne

Ingredients

• 5 1/2 ounces goat cheese
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped arugula, stems included
  • 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces penne pasta

Directions

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
  2. Crumble goat cheese into a large serving bowl. Add arugula, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper.
  3. Drain pasta, and toss with goat cheese mixture. Serves 6.

Here's some simple Sourdough Bread for the bread machine.

Plain and Simple Sourdough Bread

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 cup sourdough starter
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 2/3 cups bread flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

For Starter: In a large bowl, combine 1 cup water, 1 cup bread flour, 1/4 teaspoon sugar and 2 teaspoons yeast; mix well. Cover with plastic and let sit in a warm location for 6 to 8 hours, or overnight.

Directions

1. Add all ingredients in order suggested by your manufacturer.
  2. Select white bread setting and push start. Yields One Loaf, approx. 12 Slices.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!