Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
9/23/2011 1:26:45 PM

Phil, you seem to still be putting out all these delicious meals for us to enjoy. Do you feel like 'real lonely' these days! Where is everyone???

I know I have not been around that much either had some other things going on but it is really quiet here.

Thanks for doing your thing!

Have a good Friday! Are we having fish today?

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/23/2011 9:20:10 PM

Hello Sara,

Funny that you should mention it, but I had already decided that this was going to be my last Forum. Since nobody else seems to give a crap anymore, I guess I'm just being stupid trying to hang on to something that no one cares about any longer. Everyone's too busy playing Games over at FB, I guess. It's really a shame that some of us had to grow up, isn't it?

As you said, it's Friday, so here's tonight's Fish Dinner. Chinese five-spice powder, honey, and soy sauce create a tasty glaze for this simple salmon dish. Broil the green beans and salmon on the same baking sheet, and you have a meal in minutes. Serve along with the Corn & Rice Medley below.

Five-Spice-Glazed Salmon with Sesame Green Beans

Ingredients

1/4 cup honey
4 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
1-1/2 tsp. five-spice powder
2 large cloves garlic, minced
Four 6-oz. skin-on salmon fillets (preferably wild), pin bones and scales removed
Nonstick cooking spray
1 lb. slender green beans, trimmed
2 tsp. canola oil
1 tsp. Asian sesame oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
1 tsp. lemon juice
Preparation
In a small bowl, whisk the honey, soy sauce, five-spice powder, and garlic. Put the salmon skin side down on a large plate and pour the honey mixture over it. Flip the fillets so they are skin side up. Let the fish marinate for 15 minutes at room temperature.

Position a rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, toss the green beans with the canola and sesame oils. Arrange the beans on one half of the prepared baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the salmon skin side down on the other half of the baking sheet. Brush the salmon with any remaining marinade from the plate.

Broil the salmon and green beans for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, toss the green beans with tongs, and reposition the salmon pieces as needed so that they cook evenly. Continue to broil until the salmon is just cooked through and the beans are crisp-tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Toss the green beans with the sesame seeds and lemon juice and serve. Serves 4.
Fabulous recipe. All I had on hand for a side dish was jasmine rice and frozen corn. Also very nice with crab cakes, or even chicken. Basmati rice is actually best for this recipe.

Corn and Rice Medley

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons butter, divided
  • 1 cup and 3 tablespoons Basmati rice
  • 2-1/3 cups and 1 tablespoon water
  • 2-1/3 cups and 1 tablespoon fresh corn kernels
  • 3-1/2 large shallots, sliced thinly
  • 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons chopped fresh mint leaves
  • Directions

1. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the rice, add the water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 16 to 18 minutes, or until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
    2. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in corn, shallots, sugar, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until tender.
    3. In a serving bowl combine cooked rice, corn mixture and mint. Serves 6.

Happy Friday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    9/24/2011 1:09:29 AM

Hi Phil, hope you're doing great. When I read you had decided this would be your last forum I just had to come by and put in my two cents worth. :) I certainly hope you reconsider. I know I don't post a lot to most of the forums but that doesn't mean I don't read them and most of the time I do so offline as I get the time.

I've noticed that things seem to be extremely slow but I am not one of those that is over at FB playing games and as a matter of fact I don't even belong to FB. Seems like I did set up an account at one time but never used it. I do play one game on AOL for a few minutes a day, usually in the evening, but I have been playing this same game for years and I guess I just got addicted to it but still it is only maybe 20-25 minutes a day.

For the next several weeks my time online is going to be VERY limited as I am in the process of moving hundreds of miles away and there is so much I have to get done before I move. I finally have a buyer for my villa, after the first offer fell through, and they want to close by Oct 7 which doesn't give me a lot of time. I am trying to go through things and get rid of as much as possible, things I never use, so I don't have to pay to get them moved plus getting my newspaper subscription cancelled, making arrangements to have the utilities taken out of my name, setting a time to have the phone disconnected and etc. I will be putting everything in storage until I find a house to buy, which hopefully will be soon after I get there. I hated the thought of having to endure another brutal East Tennessee winter like we had last year. Burrrr!! Wish me luck and don't give up yet. Hang in there and hopefully things will pick up shortly. Have a blessed weekend my friend. :)

Evelyn

[quote]

Hello Sara,

Funny that you should mention it, but I had already decided that this was going to be my last Forum. Since nobody else seems to give a crap anymore, I guess I'm just being stupid trying to hang on to something that no one cares about any longer. Everyone's too busy playing Games over at FB, I guess. It's really a shame that some of us had to grow up, isn't it?

Happy Friday My Friends,

Phil

[/quote
    +0
    Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    9/24/2011 7:47:24 AM
    Hi Phil & Evelyn,

Let me join Evelyn in hoping you reconsider. I can understand your frustrations but I've come to the conclusion that even if at times you don't get written responses you know people are viewing your threads and I am one if them. Yeah, people are over at FB playing games and many have also left after seeing the direction this community is taking.

I for one decided that my voice will continue to be heard and regardless of the scarcity of participation (at times) I know for a fact that people are reading what I have to say. The same goes for you my friend so stick with it, do your thing and know you're appreciated.

Shalom,

Peter

Quote:

Hi Phil, hope you're doing great. When I read you had decided this would be your last forum I just had to come by and put in my two cents worth. :) I certainly hope you reconsider. I know I don't post a lot to most of the forums but that doesn't mean I don't read them and most of the time I do so offline as I get the time.

I've noticed that things seem to be extremely slow but I am not one of those that is over at FB playing games and as a matter of fact I don't even belong to FB. Seems like I did set up an account at one time but never used it. I do play one game on AOL for a few minutes a day, usually in the evening, but I have been playing this same game for years and I guess I just got addicted to it but still it is only maybe 20-25 minutes a day.

For the next several weeks my time online is going to be VERY limited as I am in the process of moving hundreds of miles away and there is so much I have to get done before I move. I finally have a buyer for my villa, after the first offer fell through, and they want to close by Oct 7 which doesn't give me a lot of time. I am trying to go through things and get rid of as much as possible, things I never use, so I don't have to pay to get them moved plus getting my newspaper subscription cancelled, making arrangements to have the utilities taken out of my name, setting a time to have the phone disconnected and etc. I will be putting everything in storage until I find a house to buy, which hopefully will be soon after I get there. I hated the thought of having to endure another brutal East Tennessee winter like we had last year. Burrrr!! Wish me luck and don't give up yet. Hang in there and hopefully things will pick up shortly. Have a blessed weekend my friend. :)

Evelyn

[quote]

Hello Sara,

Happy Friday My Friends,

Phil

[/quote
    Peter Fogel
    Babylon 7
    +0
    Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    9/24/2011 7:51:05 AM
    this is such a good recipe phil. you can get these delicious breads any store now. i will try this for sunday dinner. have a nice weekend

pat

Quote:

Garlic-Parmesan Bread

Ingredients
    8 Tbs. (1/2 cup) salted butter, softened
    1/4 cup lightly packed finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
    1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
    2 large cloves garlic, very finely minced or grated on a rasp-style grater
    1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium loaf artisan-style bread with a tight crumb (I like wide bâtard shapes, not baguettes)

Preparation

Heat the oven to 425°F.

In a food processor or a large bowl, combine the butter, Parmigiano, oil, garlic, lemon zest, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Pulse a few times to blend but don’t overprocess or the butter might separate. If mixing by hand, mash together with a fork or a wooden spoon.

Slice the bread 1 inch thick, cutting almost but not all the way through the bottom crust, so it’s easy to pull apart. Spread a light, even coating of the butter mixture on both sides of each slice of bread. (You may not need all the butter; refrigerate any leftover for up to a week or freeze for up to three months.) Wrap the bread in foil and put the loaf on a baking sheet to catch any butter that runs out. Heat in the oven for about 15 minutes, then open the top of the foil to slightly crisp the top of the loaf, about 5 more minutes. Serve while hot. Serves 6.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!