Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/19/2011 12:24:16 PM
Hello Everyone,

For this Friday's Fish Night, we're keeping it quite simple. These delicious dinner packets are perfect patio or picnic pleasers.

Grilled Lemon and Herb Salmon Packs

Ingredients

cups uncooked instant rice
1 3/4
cups Progresso® chicken broth (from 32-ounce carton)
cup (from 10-ounce bag) matchstick-cut carrots
(4 to 6 ounces each) salmon fillets
teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning salt
1/2
teaspoon salt
1/3
cup chopped fresh chives
medium lemon, cut lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
Directions
  1. Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Spray four 18x12-inch sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil with cooking spray.
  2. Mix rice and broth in medium bowl. Let stand about 5 minutes or until most of broth is absorbed. Stir in carrots.
  3. Place salmon fillet on center of each foil piece. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning salt and salt; top with chives. Arrange lemon slices over salmon. Spoon rice mixture around each fillet. Fold foil over salmon and rice so edges meet. Seal edges, making tight 1/2-inch fold; fold again. Allow space on sides for circulation and expansion.
  4. Cover and grill packets 4 to 6 inches from low heat 11 to 14 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with fork. Place packets on plates. Cut large X across top of each packet; fold back foil. Serves 4.

Hints: Soaking the rice in broth before grilling the packets ensures that the rice will be done at the same time as the Salmon. Although you may use whatever Fresh Herbs you have on hand, I've found that Basil, Parsley, or Thyme are quite delicious with the Salmon.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
8/19/2011 1:50:33 PM

Phil, it is always good to drop by here and see all the wonderful new dishes you have prepared. I have never really tasted authentic Indian food but sure would like to. They are having an Indian Festival with arts, crafts, and food this weekend in Topeka. Would like to go, but...

Anyway the lentil dish sounds wonderful and I want to try that.

The other night I took some pictures just so I could post in your forum but other things got in the way and have not been back to post them. I know it is Fish Friday but maybe for Saturday this would be okay.

Extreme Hoppin' John

Extreme Hoppin' John

Very simple really. Saute' crushed garlic, onion, green peppers, hot peppers (according to taste), add spices - I used cumin, curry, and paprika, add sliced Italian sausage, and 1/2 package (small) blackeyed peas. Cover with water to at least an inch above. Simmer medium heat and add some sliced okra and continue cooking until peas are tender.

With that we had Potato Salad and Canteloupe.

Potato Salad Canteloupe

Have a great Friday and weekend everyone!!

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/19/2011 2:57:42 PM

Hi Sara,

Thanks for stopping by my Friend and thanks for the recipe. That Hoppin' John sounds delicious and much simpler than the recipe that I usually use. I got my recipe from one of my favorite Vegetarian Websites, Vegetariantimes.com. Of course, it's never quite hot enough for my tastes, so I always put out the bottles of Tabasco and Texas Pete on the table for guests to doctor it up according to their taste.

Hoppin' John with Collard Greens

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, divided
  • 2 Tbs. agave nectar
  • 3 tsp. olive oil, divided
  • 1 tsp. chili powder, divided
  • 1 tsp. salt, divided
  • 1 large bunch collard greens, chopped
  • 4 slices meatless low-fat bacon strips, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
  • 3 ribs celery, chopped (3/4 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked long-grain white rice
  • 1 15.5-oz. can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed

Directions

1. Whisk together 2 Tbs. vinegar, agave nectar, 1 tsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. chili powder, and 1/2 tsp. salt; set aside.

2. Cook collard greens in pot of boiling salted water 15 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.

3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon, onion, celery, garlic, and remaining 1/2 tsp. chili powder. Cook 8 minutes, or until translucent. Add collard greens, vinegar-agave nectar mixture, 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid, 2 Tbs. vinegar, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover, and cook 10 minutes, or until greens are tender. Transfer to serving platter.

4. Add rice and beans to skillet. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup cooking liquid, and cook 3 minutes, or until heated through. Serve rice and beans over greens.

Happy Friday My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/21/2011 1:59:06 AM

Hi Friends,

Well, last night had it's High Points and it's Low Points. I went over to a Friends house to watch the Carolina Panthers play their Preseason Game with the Miami Dolphins, and they lost 20-10. However, on the High side, I got two recipes that are definitely keepers!

Sandy said that she always makes this creative pizza for Super Bowl parties, but since I've never been to one at her house, I've never tried it before. The sour cream, bacon, onions and cheese make every bite of this unusual delight, taste just like a loaded baked potato.

Baked Potato Pizza

Ingredients

• 1 (6.5 ounce) package pizza crust mix
  • 3 medium unpeeled potatoes, baked and cooled
  • 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Prepare crust according to package directions. Press dough into a lightly greased 14-in. pizza pan; build up edges slightly. Bake at 400 degrees F for 5-6 minutes or until crust is firm and begins to brown.
  2. Cut potatoes into 1/2-in. cubes. In a bowl, combine butter, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Add potatoes and toss. Spread sour cream over crust; top with potato mixture, bacon, onions and cheeses. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Slice into 8 pieces.

The second recipe for these tiny little "twice-baked Potato" appetizers. So easy and yet, so delicious!

Cheesy Cheddar Potato Boats

Ingredients

• 4 medium baked potatoes, quartered lengthwise
  • ⅓ cup Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • Sliced green onions and/or bacon pieces, optional

Directions

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Scoop the potato out of skins; coat inside of skins with the dressing. Place potato back into skins. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with green onions and/or bacon bits, if desired. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/21/2011 5:41:09 PM

Hello Everyone,

Today we have a triple treat! Some of the best, healthy eggs that you'll ever eat, a little sweet bread to go with them, and a little head start on you Christmas Celebration for this year.

First of all, a variety of veggies combined with eggs make a great start to any day.

Extreme Veggie Scrambled Eggs

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1/4 cup chopped onions
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell peppers
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh tomato
  • 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Heat olive oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onions and peppers; saute until onions are transparent.
  2. In a mixing bowl, beat together eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to vegetables; stir in tomatoes. Cook until eggs are set. When eggs are almost done, mix in cheese. Serve immediately. Serves 6.

Next, some of this yummy moist bread loaded with raisins and cinnamon. This was my Dad's favorite and it's the best raisin cinnamon bread I've ever had! It's great plain, toasted, or especially when covered with the Apple Jelly below.

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup margarine, softened
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 8 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

1. Warm the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Let cool until lukewarm.
  2. Dissolve yeast in warm water, and set aside until yeast is frothy. Mix in eggs, sugar, butter or margarine, salt, and raisins. Stir in cooled milk. Add the flour gradually to make a stiff dough.
  3. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for a few minutes. Place in a large, greased, mixing bowl, and turn to grease the surface of the dough. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled.
  4. Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle 1/2 inch thick. Moisten dough with 2 tablespoons milk. Mix together 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon, and sprinkle mixture on top of the moistened dough. Roll up tightly; the roll should be about 3 inches in diameter. Cut into thirds, and tuck under ends. Place loaves into well greased 9 x 5 inch pans. Lightly grease tops of loaves. Let rise again for 1 hour.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes, or until loaves are lightly browned and sound hollow when knocked. Remove loaves from pans, and brush with melted butter or margarine. Let cool before slicing. Makes 3 Loaves.

Finally, as promised, a hint to jump start your Christmas planning. Whenever I host a Christmas sit-down dinner, I adhere labels on small jars of this jam to use as place cards. At the end of the evening, the guests can take the sweet spread home to enjoy. Also, if they're really special, then you can even include a fresh loaf of the Cinnamon Bread in a decorative Bag with a Bow. Meanwhile, it tastes yummy when spread on a warm slice of Raisin Bread and eaten with these eggs for breakfast.

Cinnamon Apple Jelly

Ingredients

• 7 cups unsweetened bottled apple juice
  • 1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
  • 2 teaspoons butter (no substitutes)
  • 1 cup red-hot candies
  • 9 cups sugar

Directions

1. Place the apple juice in a large kettle. Stir in pectin and butter. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in candies until dissolved. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Pour hot mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water bath. Makes 104 servings.

Have A Wonderful Sunday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!