Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/21/2011 7:08:36 PM

Hi Friends.

Here's a real treat for all of my Vegetarian friends out there, a terrific dish just loaded with succulent Mediterranean vegetables.

Ratatouille

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • salt to taste
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 zucchini, sliced
  • 1 large onion, sliced into rings
  • 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 green bell pepper, sliced
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Coat bottom and sides of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
  2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic until lightly browned. Mix in parsley and eggplant. Saute until eggplant is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with salt to taste.
  3. Spread eggplant mixture evenly across bottom of prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a few tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Spread zucchini in an even layer over top. Lightly salt and sprinkle with a little more cheese. Continue layering in this fashion, with onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and tomatoes, covering each layer with a sprinkling of salt and cheese.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Serves 4.

For a little added zing with your meal, the added Parmesan Cheese and garlic salt gives these hearty crescent rolls a scrumptious, savory flavor.

Savory Wheat Crescents

Ingredients

• 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F to 115 degrees F)
  • 8 1/2 teaspoons honey, divided
  • 3/4 cup warm milk (110 to 115 degrees F)
  • 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened, divided
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in 2 teaspoons honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add milk, 2 tablespoons butter, salt and remaining honey; mix well. Add egg and whole wheat flour; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Knead on a floured surface for 30 seconds. Roll into a 12-in. circle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; sprinkle over dough. Cut into 16 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place with pointed end down on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yields 16 servings.

Have A Happy Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/21/2011 7:12:41 PM
Hi Phil,

Cinnamon bread is one of my favorite. It also brings back a wonderful memory. My girlfriend and I were waiting for her husband. I can't remember exactly why, but he worked for the local bakery. It was past dinner time and he didn't come and finally we got into the cinnamon bread. It was iced loaf, let me tell we didn't eat any dinner that night except cinnamon bread. We still laugh about that one. I still love cinnamon bread. It was so much fun.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/21/2011 8:09:13 PM

Hi Myrna,

Glad you liked the Raisin Bread and Thanks for sharing those memories. Now I know what to get you for Christmas.

I have some fond memories of Bakeries as well. Back in the late 60's, I needed to pay for my College expenses and needed a good paying job. I had a good family Friend who was a Supervisor at the local Tip Top Bakery, and it was unionized, one of the few places around here that was back then. Anyway, after I graduated from High School, Frank got me on at the Bakery full-time, not realizing that I would just be there until I started College in the fall. As I said, there was a Union in place and the starting pay back in 1965 was $7.50 per hour. Doesn't sound like a lot, until you realize that the Union required time and a half be paid after 40 hours each week and Double time after 50 hours each week. Well, we normally worked 55-60 hours per week, so long story short, in the 13 weeks that I worked for the Bakery that Summer, I made a little over $5,000 after taxes. Lot of money back in the 60's!

That paid my Tuition and books for the last three years of College. Of course, back then it was costing somewhere around $1,900 per year to attend High Point College. Fast forward to 2011-2012 and the Comprehensive Annual fee to attend High Point University will be $37,800. That Progress I guess!

Thanks again for sharing a few memories with me and for being such a terrific Friend.

Have A Bright & Beautiful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
8/22/2011 3:26:18 AM
Hi Phil and friends, I just had to come post this cheesecake recipe my daughter made yesterday for my little granddaughter's birthday dinner today. My daughter has three children and they always get to choose the menu for their birthday dinner and Kayleigh, who just turned 8 this past Thursday wanted a cheesecake with raspberry swirls like she had eaten at a restaurant. Since my daughter couldn't find one in any of her numerous cookbooks she went online and chose this one because it had a 5 star rating. Well let me tell you, 5 stars is not enough stars, should have been 10 at least. It was absolutely the best cheesecake I have ever eaten so I thought I would share for those who aren't counting calories and even for those are too. :) I posted the link for the recipe because in the reviews are some excellent helpful tips on making this decadent dessert.
White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake

Ingredients
1 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
3 tablespoons white sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 (10 ounce) package frozen raspberries
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 cup water
2 cups white chocolate chips
1/2 cup half-and-half cream
3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
In a medium bowl, mix together cookie crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar,
and melted butter. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.
In a saucepan, combine raspberries, 2 tablespoons sugar, cornstarch,
and water. Bring to boil, and continue boiling 5 minutes, or until sauce
is thick. Strain sauce through a mesh strainer to remove seeds.
Preheat oven to 325ºF (165 degrees C). In a metal bowl over a pan of
simmering water, melt white chocolate chips with half-and-half, stirring
occasionally until smooth.
In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until
smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time. Blend in vanilla and melted white
chocolate. Pour half of batter over crust. Spoon 3 tablespoons raspberry sauce over batter. Pour remaining cheesecake batter into pan, and again spoon 3 tablespoons raspberry sauce over the top. Swirl batter with the tip of a knife to create a marbled effect.
Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool, cover with plastic
wrap, and refrigerate for 8 hours before removing from pan.
Serve with remaining raspberry sauce.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/22/2011 4:53:18 PM

Hi Mary Evelyn,

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing this recipe for the White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake. I hope that Kayleigh had a fantastic 8th Birthday this past Thursday. She has such good taste. Raspberries and Cheesecake happens to be two of my favorites as well.

Thanks to my friends over at Splenda.com, I can enjoy a little taste of the White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake as well. This recipe, which is a variation of the favorite served at Green Mountain at Fox Run in Vermont, doesn’t contain a lot of special low-fat ingredients; Green Mountain advocates portion control as the key to fitting this treat into a healthy eating plan. The fresh raspberries baked into the crust are a refreshing surprise. This Cheesecake is baked with SPLENDA and reduced fat cream cheese with wonderful results, and I've often substituted other berries or fruit which I had on hand.

White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake w/Splenda

Ingredients

3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tablespoon sugar (or substitute SPLENDA)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 cup fresh raspberries
8 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar (or substitute SPLENDA)
1 1/2 ounces white chocolate, melted
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/2 cup light sour cream
2 egg whites
Raspberries for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In small bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Coat 9-inch spring-form pan with cooking spray and press graham cracker mixture into bottom and 1 inch up the sides. Wrap the outside of pan with a large piece of foil. (Be sure the foil comes up the sides of the pan to prevent water from seeping into the crust.) Arrange berries in the bottom of the crust.

Place cream cheese in a large mixer bowl and beat at medium speed until smooth. Gradually add sugar and white chocolate and beat about 3 minutes. Add egg yolks, one a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and lemon zest; stir in sour cream.

In separate bowl, beat egg white to stiff peaks; carefully fold egg whites into the batter. Pour mixture into prepared crust and place cheese cake in a large shallow roasting pan; add hot water to pan to a 1-inch depth. Bake 45 minutes; turn off oven leaving the oven door ajar by placing a long handled spoon in the door to prop it open. After 1 hour, remove cheesecake from oven and cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

To serve, garnish with additional raspberries, if desired.

Have A Terrific Week My Friend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!