Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/17/2011 10:55:35 PM

Hello Friends,

I've been cooking a lot of Indian food lately, so for my Vegetarian dish today, this lentil dish is just another to add to the list. This is a great make ahead dish, as it improves over a bit of time and it can be served at room temperature. If you prefer to eat it hot, I usually serve it over top a bit of basmati rice. You could also thin out the leftovers with a bit of vegetable stock or water and have a delicious lentil soup to take to work for lunch.

Indian Spiced Lentils

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup green lentils
1 1/2 cup vegetable stock or water
4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts divided
1 green jalapeno pepper, minced
1 red serrano pepper, minced
1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, chopped

1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion and sauté 2 minutes. Add garlic and spices and sauté 1 minute. Add lentils and stir to coat. Add stock. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until the lentils are soft but chewy, about 40 minutes. Transfer lentils to a large bowl.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add white part of scallions and peppers. Sauté briefly until peppers brighten in color, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add to lentils.

3. Stir in pomegranate molasses, salt and pepper. Taste to adjust seasoning. Before serving, add green scallions, cilantro and parsley and gently toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature. (The flavors will develop if refrigerated several hours or overnight.)

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2011 11:36:25 PM
awesome phil. hubby and love INDIAN food. we have a little ETHIOPEAN restaurant in my city and we ate there few times last year.

thanks for the recipe. loooooooooooooooooove lentils!

pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
8/18/2011 10:26:48 AM

This is the very same recipe I use here at home, my family just loves it. I was a restaurant manger for the famous Bob Evans, and there signature potato soup is slightly different than this one, but by all means this one will satisfy any pototo soup eater.

Happy Cooking

WandaSue

Country Cooking Recipes

Connect on Skype: Wanda Rawlins - Trainer/Coach/Consulting Email: 12bizbrand@gmail.com
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/19/2011 2:17:08 AM

Hello Everyone,

Pat, I'm obviously a big fan of Indian food as well. So glad that you liked this recipe. Wanda, I'm glad that you stopped by and I'm looking forward to swapping recipes.

In the interest of time tonight, we'll try a quick dinner that's heavy on the veggies and light on the meat. The spicy salsa makes this salad so filling that you won’t even notice the smaller portion of chicken. In this mix, it's just right. Serve with some sweet, toasty Grilled Corn on the Cob.

Southwestern Grilled Chicken Salad with Tomato and Black Bean Salsa

Ingredients
1 boneless skinless chicken breast half (6 to 7 oz.), trimmed
1/2 Tbs. chili powder
1 tsp. light or dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Kosher salt
6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for the grill
2 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
2 tsp. honey
Freshly ground black pepper
Green Tabasco (optional)
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz. small cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered or halved (about 3/4 cup)
1 large scallion, thinly sliced
2 small heads Bibb lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces (about 9 cups)
1 medium firm-ripe avocado
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or pepitas

Directions

Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire.

Trim and then butterfly the chicken breast by slicing it horizontally almost but not entirely in half so you can open it like a book.

Combine the chili powder, brown sugar, coriander, cumin, and 3/4 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Rub some of the spice mix over both sides of the butterflied chicken breast (you won’t need it all) and let sit while the grill heats.

Clean and oil the grill grate. Grill the breast until the edges of the top side are white, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until just done, 1 to 2 minutes more. Let the chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

In a small bowl or a glass jar with a tight lid, combine the olive oil, lime juice, 1Tbs. of the cilantro, the honey, 1/2 tsp. salt, a few grinds of pepper, and a few shakes of green Tabasco (if using). Whisk or shake well to combine.

Combine the black beans, tomatoes, scallion, the remaining 2 tsp. cilantro, and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Add 2 Tbs. of the dressing and toss gently.

Put the lettuce in a bowl, season with a little salt, and toss with just enough of the dressing to lightly coat. (Reserve a little to drizzle on the chicken.) Arrange the lettuce on a platter or four dinner plates. Slice the chicken breast very thinly. Pit and slice the avocado. Arrange the chicken, avocado, and salsa on the lettuce. Drizzle a little of the remaining dressing over the chicken and avocado. Garnish with the pine nuts or pepitas and the cilantro leaves. Serves 4.

Grilling is a great alternative to boiling corn on the cob, because it gives the corn a toasty flavor. With this method, the single layer of husk that’s left on the corn protects it from charring all over, which can overpower the sweetness of the corn and dry it out.

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Ingredients

Four ears fresh corn on the cob, husks intact

Directions

Prepare a medium to medium-high charcoal or gas grill fire (about 400°F).

Meanwhile, remove all but the innermost layer of the corn husks. Gently bend back this remaining layer of husk without detaching it so that you can remove the silk. (Don’t worry about getting all the silk off—the rest will cook off or soften on the grill.) Pull the husks back into place so that the corn is loosely covered.

Put the corn on the grill and cover. Turn when the husk is nicely browned on one side, after 2 to 3 minutes. Continue to cook and turn until the corn husk is toasted on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes total. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Have A Peaceful Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/19/2011 12:18:20 PM
Hello Friends,

I tried a little something new the other evening, so today we'll start off with a Vegetarian delight. This can be an easy, hearty meal for the whole family or since burritos freeze well, you can eat some more later, whenever the mood strikes you. Great served with salsa and sour cream. Remember that Habanero chile peppers are extremely hot, so you might only need 1/2 of one to generate enough heat for your tastes! Also, be careful when you chop the habanero chile, and remember to use gloves.

Barbeque Seitan and Black Bean Burritos

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 3/4 small onion, chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 1-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 habanero peppers, seeded and minced
  • 3/4 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1-1/4 (8 ounce) packages seitan
  • 3/4 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3/4 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 2-1/3 cups and 1 tablespoon cooked white rice
  • 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 3/4 (18 ounce) bottle barbecue sauce
  • 8 (10 inch) flour tortillas

Directions

1. In a large saucepan (wok pans also work well) heat oil over medium-high and saute yellow onion, green onions, garlic, habanero, and bell pepper until onions become translucent. Add seitan and saute another 5 minutes. Add black beans and tomatoes. Heat through.
  2. In a medium size mixing bowl combine heated mixture with cooked rice, cilantro, and 1 cup barbecue sauce. Lay tortillas on flat surface. Spoon about 3/4 cup of filling onto each tortilla's center. Wrap tortilla so that mixture is captured on the inside . In a casserole dish pour barbecue sauce to coat the dish's bottom. Place burritos in dish and pour more barbecue sauce on top of them. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 35 minutes. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!