Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/15/2011 7:57:17 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

Now, for my fellow Vegetarians out there these Grilled Portobello Mushrooms make for a meaty sandwich without the meat. A light vegetarian sandwich with great flavor that is perfect for summer. You can use just about any type of bread but Kaiser rolls or burger buns are best. I like to serve this with grilled squash and a glass of white wine.

Grilled Portobello with Basil Mayonnaise Sandwich

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 4 portobello mushroom caps
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 3/4 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
  • 4 kaiser rolls, split, toasted
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 4 leaves lettuce
  • 4 tomato slices

Directions

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate. Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl.
  2. Arrange the portobello mushrooms gill-side up on a tray or baking sheet. Brush the mushrooms with some of the vinegar mixture, and allow to marinate for 3 to 5 minutes.
  3. Place the marinated mushrooms on the preheated grill, gill-side down. Grill mushrooms until tender, brushing both sides of the mushrooms with the remaining marinade, about 4 minutes on each side.
  4. Mix the mayonnaise, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and basil in a small bowl. Butter the toasted kaiser rolls, then spread with the mayonnaise mixture. Divide the mushrooms, lettuce, and tomato slices evenly to make 4 sandwiches. Serves 4.

This is the way my Dad cooked summer squash on the grill. I have modified it a bit over the years, but it continues to be a tasty-easy no-mess way to cook yellow squash and zucchini on the grill to go with all of your burgers, steaks, or pork.

No Mess Squash on the Barbeque

Ingredients

• 2 yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges (optional)
  • 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions

1. Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat. Cut two sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil, each approximately 18 inches long.
  2. Place the yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, onion, and garlic in the center of one sheet of aluminum foil. Drizzle with olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Place second sheet of foil on top of vegetables. Fold edges together tightly to seal packet.
  3. Place packet on the top rack of the preheated grill. Cook for 15 minutes. Turn packet over and continue to cook until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
  4. Carefully cut an "X" into top of packet and pour vegetables and juices into serving bowl. Garnish with parsley. Serves 4-6.

Have A Terrific Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2011 2:21:29 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's a little something for my fellow Diabetic Friends out there, and one that I especially like, from my Splenda Recipe Files. Prepared in under an hour, this pork tenderloin is baked with a medley of vegetables in a sweet and spicy glaze.

Quick Glazed Pork Loin

INGREDIENTS

1 pound pork tenderloin
¼ cup water
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate
2½ teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1 teaspoon white vinegar
Ɨ teaspoon salt
1 (14 ounce) package frozen vegetable blend

DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Rinse pork loin and pat dry. Set aside.
2. Mix water, tomato paste, orange juice concentrate, chili powder, salt, SPLENDA® Granulated
Sweetener, and white vinegar in a small mixing bowl.
3. Place pork loin in a 13X9-inch pan. Cover with half of the glaze. Bake 15 minutes in preheated
425 degrees F oven.
4. Remove pork loin from oven. Cover with remaining glaze. Place vegetables around pork loin. Bake
an additional 15 minutes or until the vegetables are hot and the pork loin is completely cooked.

Nutrition info (per serving) Calories 220; Calories from Fat 60; Fat 6g (Saturated 2g); Cholesterol 65mg; Sodium 240mg; Carbohydrates 18g; Fiber 5g; Sugars 2g; Protein 24

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2011 11:43:52 PM

Hello Friends,

Warm up the Grill for this evening'srecipe. Skewering chunks of meat along with vegetables or fruit is great way to bring sensible portions to your cookout. You get the perfect protein portion, but your plate is dominated by two big, bountiful, meaty kebabs. If you can’t find ripe mangos, substitute pineapple. Serve this along with my old favorite, Tomato, Chickpea, and Feta Salad on the side.

Ancho-Marinated Pork and Mango Skewers

Ingredients
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
2 Tbs. canola oil; more for the grill
2 tsp. dark brown sugar
2 tsp. pure ancho chile powder
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
2 medium ripe mangos, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1-inch cubes
8 skewers, 10 inches or longer, soaked in water for 30 minutes if wooden
1 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

In a medium bowl, whisk the orange juice, lime juice, oil, sugar, ancho powder, garlic, pepper flakes, and 1/2 tsp. salt.

Add the pork, toss to coat, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 4 hours.

Thread the pork and mango cubes onto the skewers, alternating them and beginning and ending with a piece of pork. Each skewer should have about 5 pieces of pork and 4 pieces of mango.

Prepare a medium gas or charcoal grill fire. Scrub the grill grate with a wire brush and then wipe clean with a paper towel dipped in oil. Cook the skewers, turning once, until the meat is browned on the outside but still slightly pink in the center, about 8 minutes. Serve garnished with the cilantro. Serves 4 ( 2 Skewers each)

Here once again is my favorite side salad featuring Za’atar, the Middle Eastern spice blend treasured for its savory thyme-oregano flavor.

Tomato, Chickpea, and Feta Salad

Ingredients
3 oz. feta, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
2 tsp. za’atar
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. cherry, grape, or pear tomatoes, halved
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and patted dry
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs. white wine vinegar

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together the feta, za’atar and crushed red pepper flakes. Add 1 Tbs. of the oil and let sit while you prepare the rest of the salad.

Put the tomatoes in a large bowl. Stir in the chickpeas and season with 1/4 tsp. salt and a few grinds black pepper.

Add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil and the vinegar. Stir in the feta, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve. Serves 4-6.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/16/2011 11:55:33 PM
Hi Phil,

Different kind of salad. It sure looks good.
yum
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/17/2011 6:25:55 PM

Hi Myrna,

Believe me, it is! But then again, with Tomatoes and Feta Cheese both, it's bound to be delicious. Here's another wonderful Dish with some more fresh tomatoes. This dish is built around the season's luscious offerings yet designed for speed. The sauce only looks like you slaved over it, and its strong flavors are perfectly in balance. For a delicious, yet light, meal, pair this with some Simply Delicious Green Beans.

Angel Hair Pasta with Sautéed Cherry Tomatoes, Lemon & Tuna

Ingredients
Kosher salt
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups cherry or grape tomatoes (about 1-1/2 lb.; a mix of colors, if possible)
1 large clove garlic, minced
One 6-oz. can light tuna in oil, drained and separated into chunks
2 Tbs. minced jarred pepperoncini (about 4 medium peppers, stemmed and seeded)
1 Tbs. lightly chopped capers
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. cold unsalted butter
1/2 tsp. packed, finely grated lemon zest
8 oz. dried angel hair pasta
3 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Tip: For a real treat, try making this quick summer pasta with one of the imported Spanish tunas (Ortiz brand, in particular), which are fairly expensive, but quite delicious.

Directions

Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, in an 11- to 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the tomatoes (be careful because the oil and juice can spatter) and cook until they begin to collapse and their juices run and start to thicken, 6 to 10 min. (If you have big, stubborn tomatoes, you may need to crush them a bit with a spatula or pierce them with a knife.) Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.

Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the tuna, pepperoncini, capers, lemon juice, butter, and lemon zest. Season the sauce to taste with salt and keep it warm while you cook the pasta.

Cook the pasta in the boiling water according to package directions. Drain well, arrange in individual pasta bowls, and top with the sauce and the parsley. Serves 3 or 4.

To really enjoy the fresh flavor of green beans, cook them just until tender (don't undercook or overcook) and dress them simply with your best extra-virgin olive oil and just a touch of sea salt. Or, if you're feely adventuresome, add one or two of the following extras and toss while still warm:

• a little creamy goat cheese
  • slivered sun-dried tomatoes
  • quartered cherry tomatoes
  • grated lemon or orange zest
  • sliced green onions
  • blanched corn kernels
  • quartered pitted olives
  • paper-thin slices of radish
  • shredded endive or radicchio
  • toasted pine nuts or almonds
  • fresh mint or chervil leaves

Simply Delicious Green Beans

1 lb. fresh, tender green beans
1-1/2 Tbs. best-quality extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp. fleur de sel or other medium-grain sea salt; or less, to taste

Directions

Bring a pot of water to boil over high heat. Rinse the beans and trim away their stems. Boil the beans just until tender, 4 to 5 min. for regular green beans, less for extra-thin filet beans. Drain well. Spread the beans on a platter or shallow serving dish. If there is still water clinging to them, let them dry briefly. While the beans are still hot, drizzle with the olive oil. Toss gently with your hands or two serving forks, turning the beans until they're evenly coated with oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, toss, and serve warm.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!