Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
8/11/2011 1:30:15 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since we're going to blow the Diets tonight with some Subs, I thought we might have a light Vegetarian Lunch today. Zucchini and the Mexican squash called chayote make up the vegetarian filling for these soft tacos. If you can't find chayote, substitute additional zucchini and yellow squash.

Grilled Vegetable Tacos with Cilantro Pesto

For the grilled vegetables:
2 small zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 small yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 medium chayote, peeled, seeded, and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices
3 Tbs. sunflower or vegetable oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 serrano chile, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
For assembling the tacos:
Eight 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
1 recipe Cilantro Pesto*
3/4 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese or feta (optional)
Coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
* Cilantro Pesto
1 cup packed coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup sunflower or vegetable oil
2 Tbs. toasted pine nuts
1 medium clove garlic
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
Combine all the ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth. Set aside, or refrigerate in an air tight container for up to 3 days.

Grill the vegetables:

Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire.

In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, yellow squash, and chayote. Add the oil, garlic, serrano, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper and toss gently to coat. Grill, covered, until the vegetables become tender and have grill marks on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. The chayote will soften but won’t become limp like the zucchini and squash.

Let the vegetables cool slightly and then slice crosswise into thin strips. Season to taste with more salt and pepper.

Assemble the tacos:

Spoon some of the vegetable mixture on top of each tortilla and top with a drizzle of the pesto and some crumbled cheese and chopped cilantro (if using). The filling can be warm or at room temperature. Serves 8.

Have A Wonderful Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/11/2011 1:37:17 PM
Hello Again My Friends,

As promised, now it's time to tuck that Diet in the drawer and indulge in some "Comfort Food". The pork meatballs in these saucy sandwiches get a double dose of smoky flavor: first from smoked paprika and then from the grill. Sweet, fire-roasted chiles and grilled tomatoes form the base for a delicious sauce. Just to stay a little healthier, I do use Whole Wheat Hoagie Rolls and serve up these subs along with a fresh Spinach and Grilled Radicchio Salad.

Smoky Grilled Meatball Subs

Ingredients
5 6-inch soft sub rolls
1 lb. ground pork
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for the grill
1 medium tomato (8 oz.), halved crosswise
2 jarred piquillo peppers (or substitute 1 large jarred roasted red pepper)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 oz. finely grated manchego cheese (about 1 cup)

Directions

Prepare a medium-high gas or charcoal grill fire.

Tear half of one roll into 1/4-inch pieces and put in a small bowl. Add 1/4 cup water and let sit until the bread has absorbed the water, about 5 minutes. Gently squeeze the bread to remove excess water and finely chop the soaked bread (you should have about 1/4 cup).

In a large bowl, break up the pork with your hands. Add the soaked bread, egg, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, smoked paprika, 1-1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Use your hands to gently combine the mixture. Shape into 16 meatballs (each about 1-1/2 inches).

Split the remaining rolls, but don’t cut them completely in half. Brush the insides of the rolls with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil. Brush the cut side of the tomato and the meatballs with the remaining olive oil.

Oil the grill grate and grill the tomato until softened and lightly browned, turning once, 4 to 6 minutes. Grill the bread split side down until golden and lightly charred on the edges, 1 to 3 minutes. Grill the meatballs until they’re just cooked through, turning once, about 8 minutes. Remove each item as it finishes cooking and set aside.

In a food processor, purée the grilled tomato, piquillo peppers, and red pepper flakes. Season to taste with salt.

Put 4 meatballs in each roll and top with one-quarter of the sauce and one-quarter of the cheese. Serve hot. Serves 4.

Peppery, bitter radicchio mellows a bit when it's grilled, and, when tossed with baby spinach and shavings of Pecorino Romano, it's the perfect counterpoint to the rich Sub Sandwiches.

Spinach & Grilled Radicchio Salad

Ingredients
3/4 to 1 lb. radicchio (2 small or 1 large), trimmed and quartered through the core
7 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
6 oz. baby spinach (about 6 cups), rinsed well and spun dry
3-1/2 to 4 oz. shaved Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 1 cup)
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
Directions

Heat a gas grill to medium or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire. Brush the radicchio with 2 Tbs. of the oil and sprinkle with 3/4 tsp. kosher salt. Grill the radicchio (covered if using a gas grill) until it browns and chars lightly in spots on one side, 3 to 4 min. Flip and grill until the other side is browned and the radicchio is softened and wilting, 3 to 4 min. (If using a large radicchio, you may need to grill it on a third side for a few more minutes to fully soften it.)

Let the radicchio cool on a cutting board for a couple of minutes, and then trim off the cores and coarsely chop. In a serving bowl, toss the radicchio with the spinach and the cheese.

Just before serving, toss the salad with the remaining 5 Tbs. oil and the vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 6-8.

Have A Super Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
8/15/2011 2:33:33 PM
Happy Monday Phil, I am sorry to say I didn't get to try out your recipe for cooking bacon in the oven as my two little granddaughters didn't spend the night after all. There was a change in plans at the last minute, not for me, but for them. Anyway I will remember this the next time they do spend the night, which with school starting this week may be a while. Have a wonderful blessed week. :)
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/15/2011 6:05:02 PM

Hi Evelyn.

I'm sorry that you didn't get to spend some time with your Granddaughters, because I'm certain that they bring a Joy to your life. You can always have the Bacon next time and here's some Waffles to have along with that Bacon. These waffles taste wonderful, but are simple to make, since they include self-rising flour instead of yeast. I'm not certain that they will like any topping, but I included that recipe as well, just in case.

Belgian Waffles

Ingredients

• 3 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 3-2/3 cups self-rising flour
  • 2-2/3 cups warm milk
  • 2-3/4 egg whites

Directions

In a large bowl, beat together egg yolks and sugar. Beat in vanilla extract, butter and salt. Alternately mix in flour and milk until blended well.

In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until they have formed soft peaks. Fold egg whites into batter and let stand for 40 minutes.

Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown and fluffy. Serves 8.

Blueberries and raspberries mingle in this thick, rich, delicious topping for pancakes or waffles. This was easy and delicious. I served it with these homemade Waffles and my family loved them. I used fresh berries and am now ready to try all kind of fruit.

Blueberry and Raspberry Pancake Topping

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup water

Directions

1. Combine the raspberries, blueberries, sugar, and water in a small saucepan; bring to a boil and cook at a boil for 5 minutes, scraping the bottom as needed to keep from burning. Reduce heat to low; simmer the mixture until thick, about 10 minutes. Serve warm.

Have A Terrific Week My Friend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/15/2011 7:19:38 PM

Hello Friends,

The fresh salsa makes this dish perfect for a hot summer night or picnic. It's great the rest of the year, though, too. Serve it with some Green Beans that are just a bit different.

Pork Tenderloin with Pineapple Salsa

Ingredients

• 2 (1 pound) pork tenderloins
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
  • SALSA:
  • 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
  • 1/3 cup chopped sweet red pepper
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions

1. Place pork on a greased rack in a foil-lined shallow roasting pan. Combine the brown sugar, mustard and ginger; spread over pork. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
  2. In a bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Serve with pork. Serves 6.

These beans are briefly boiled and then tossed with cherry tomatoes in a buttery basil sauce to make the best green beans ever! I serve these at Easter Dinner just about every year but they are a delicious accent to any meal.

Green Beans with Cherry Tomatoes

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
  • 2 cups cherry tomato halves

Directions

1. Place beans and water in a large saucepan. Cover, and bring to a boil. Set heat to low, and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain off water, and set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in sugar, garlic salt, pepper and basil. Add tomatoes, and cook stirring gently just until soft. Pour the tomato mixture over the green beans, and toss gently to blend. Serves 6.

Wishing You A Wonderful week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!