Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/20/2011 7:57:45 PM

Fresh from the Garden!

Hello Phil & Friends, fresh from the garden!!

Show be able to use for some of those delicious dishes you are serving up!!

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/21/2011 9:18:28 PM

Hi Sara,

Thanks for the wonderful Picture of those Fresh Veggies. They do look delicious now don't they?

These Turkey Burgers are a delicious change of pace. Slap these moist patties on the grill for a special summer treat. Then, to make it even healthier, put them on homemade buns and grill up some of those Summer Veggies as well.

Actually Delicious Turkey Burgers

Ingredients

• 3 pounds ground turkey
  • 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup finely diced onion
  • 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix ground turkey, seasoned bread crumbs, onion, egg whites, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper. Form into 12 patties.
  2. Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F. Serves 12.

This recipe can be used to make either hamburger buns or hot dog buns. They are always top of the line, nice and soft.

Burger or Hot Dog Buns

Ingredients

• 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 egg

Directions

1. In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until very warm, 120 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 3/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt. Mix milk mixture into flour mixture, and then mix in egg. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
  3. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape into smooth balls, and place on a greased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cover, and let rise for 30 to 35 minutes.
  4. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
  5. For Hot Dog Buns: Shape each piece into a 6x4 inch rectangle. Starting with the longer side, roll up tightly, and pinch edges and ends to seal. Let rise about 20 to 25 minutes. Bake as above. These buns are pretty big. I usually make 16 instead of 12

I put this combination together one day when trying to serve a side dish other than mushrooms in butter. Everyone loves this pleasantly seasoned medley and asks for the recipe.

Colorful Grilled Veggies

Ingredients

• 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
  • 1 medium green pepper, sliced
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. Divide the vegetables between two pieces of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; drizzle over vegetables. Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are crisp-tender. Serves 6.

Happy Thursday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2011 1:42:24 AM

Hi Friends,

Once more, to utilize some more of those delicious looking fresh Vegetables, here's a few dishes for my Vegetarian friends.

This fresh, colorful, Greek-inspired salad is perfect with grilled or roast chicken, steak, or lamb, and a slice of crusty bread.

Grilled Vegetable Salad with Feta

Ingredients
1 small or 1/2 medium fennel bulb with fronds attached
1 medium orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 4 or 5 pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1 medium yellow squash, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2-1/2 oz.)
3 Tbs. loosely packed thinly sliced fresh basil

Directions

Cut the stalks off the fennel bulb. Remove about 1/4 cup of the fronds from the stalks, chop the fronds, and reserve. Cut the fennel in quarters lengthwise and trim away most of the core, leaving just enough intact to keep the layers together. Slice the quarters lengthwise 1/4 inch thick.

Prepare a medium gas or charcoal grill fire (alternatively, use an indoor grill pan over medium-high heat). Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a tray or work surface. Brush both sides of the vegetables with 2 Tbs. of the olive oil and season with 1/4 tsp. salt.

Grill the vegetables in batches, flipping once, until both sides are nicely charred and the vegetables are just tender, about 12 minutes total for the fennel, 10 minutes total for the pepper, and 6 minutes total for the onion and squash. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, cut them into 1/2-inch dice and transfer to a large bowl.

In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil, the vinegar, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Toss the vegetables with the dressing. Gently stir in the tomatoes and fennel fronds. Season to taste with more salt and pepper. Divide the salad among 4 plates and sprinkle with the feta and basil. Serves 4.

Not sure what you'll do with the tomatoes you've been ripening on your kitchen counter? Try this easy pasta dish. Combined with the eggplant and fresh basil, summer just doesn't taste any better than this.

Penne with Eggplant, Tomato & Basil

Ingredients
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more for drizzling
1 medium eggplant (1 lb.), cut into 1/4-inch dice (about 6 cups)
Kosher salt
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes; more to taste
1-1/4 lb. tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch chunks (about 2-1/3 cups)
3 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup roughly chopped fresh basil
3/4 lb. dried penne rigate
1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmigiano Reggiano or ricotta salata

Directions

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil.
Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat until shimmering hot. Add the eggplant and a generous pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is tender and light golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium, return the pan to the stove, and add the remaining 2 Tbs. oil, the onion, red pepper flakes, and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onion is tender and golden brown, about 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and another pinch of salt, and cook until the tomatoes start to break down and form a sauce, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Return the eggplant to the pan, add the basil, and cook for 1 minute more to let the flavors meld. Taste the sauce and add salt if needed.
Cook the pasta in the boiling water until al dente. Reserve a small amount of the cooking water and drain the pasta. Put the pasta in a large bowl and toss with the eggplant mixture. If the pasta needs a little more moisture, add a splash of the pasta water. Taste and add salt if needed. Put the pasta on a platter or divide among shallow bowls and finish with a drizzle of oil. Sprinkle the Parmigiano or ricotta salata on top and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Finally, this delicious dish serves four to six as a side dish or two to three as a vegetarian main dish.

Orzo & Grilled Vegetable Salad with Feta, Olives & Oregano

Ingredients
Kosher salt
8 oz. orzo (1-1/4 cups)
Vegetable oil for the grill
2 small Italian eggplants (about 3/4 lb. total), sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
1 medium red bell pepper, quartered, stemmed, and seeded
1/3 cup plus 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. red-wine vinegar
1 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/2 small red onion, cut into small dice (about 2/3 cup)
1/2 cup crumbled feta (2-1/2 oz.)
1/2 cup pitted, coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
3 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
Directions
In a 4-qt. saucepan, bring about 2 qt. water and 1 Tbs. salt to a boil over high heat. Add the orzo and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 8 minutes (or according to package directions). Drain but don’t rinse the pasta and pour it onto a rimmed baking sheet to cool evenly and quickly.

Heat a gas grill with all burners on high. Clean and oil the grate. Toss the eggplant and bell pepper with 2 Tbs. of the olive oil and a generous sprinkling of salt. Lay the vegetables on the grill and cook, with the grill covered, turning once, until cooked through and grill-marked, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board. Allow the vegetables to cool slightly and then cut them into small dice.

In a liquid measuring cup, whisk the vinegar with the mustard and a generous pinch of salt. Slowly whisk in the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil.

When ready to serve, combine the orzo, grilled vegetables, onion, feta, olives, and oregano in a medium bowl. Pour on the dressing, toss well, and serve

Have A Terrific Night,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2011 10:40:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

It's going to be a busy weekend here in the Neighborhood, so I'm getting into the Griling mood early.

Cook up some great tasting chicken on the barbeque this weekend. Start with a sweet, spicy marinade and turn this lean protein into a hot-weather favorite. This unusual combination of common ingredients is fabulous! Everyone who tastes it asks me to share the recipe.

Unbelievable Chicken

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons prepared coarse-ground mustard
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

1. In a large glass bowl, mix the cider vinegar, mustard, garlic, lime juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Whisk in the olive oil. Place chicken in the mixture. Cover, and marinate 8 hours, or overnight.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
  3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the prepared grill, and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear. Discard marinade. Serves 6.

This is potato salad the old fashioned way - with eggs, celery and relish. It's really good when served with chili as well.

Old Fashioned Potato Salad

Ingredients

• 5 potatoes
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool, peel and chop.
  2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil; cover, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, eggs, celery, onion, relish, garlic salt, celery salt, mustard, pepper and mayonnaise. Mix together well and refrigerate until chilled. Serves 6-8.

Finally, a delicious and fresh summer treat. A favorite for everyone.

Garlic Corn on the Cob

Ingredients

• 12 ears corn, husked and cleaned
  • 12 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1/4 cup garlic powder

Directions

1. Preheat grill for medium heat, or preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Place each ear of corn on a separate square of aluminum foil. Place 1 tablespoon of butter on each one, and sprinkle with garlic powder. Wrap ears tightly with the foil.
  3. Place ears of corn on the grill or in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes, turning over occasionally. Serves 12.

Hope Your Weekend's Great,

Phil

+0
7/22/2011 10:53:15 PM

Phil, now that is way I make Potato Salad!! I prefer to let the potatoes get soft and then mix them but some people like to see the cubes.

Love to have some right now along with that corn and chicken. I fixed some chicken almost like that for lunch, it was really good!

Enjoy Friday and the grilling weekend! (It is just too hot here!!).

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!