Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/19/2011 7:10:53 PM

Hi Myrna,

That Squash sounds delicious. Here's another favorite around my house. First of the rest of the family, and then a following Post with my Vegetarian version.

These Bell Peppers are stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, onion, tomatoes, rice, and cheese and baked in a tomato sauce.

Stuffed Green Peppers

Ingredients

• 6 green bell peppers
  • salt to taste
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup uncooked rice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
  • water as needed

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers, and remove the seeds. Cook peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle salt inside each pepper, and set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, saute beef and onions for 5 minutes, or until beef is browned. Drain off excess fat, and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, rice, 1/2 cup water and Worcestershire sauce. Cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until rice is tender. Remove from heat, and stir in the cheese.
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C). Stuff each pepper with the beef and rice mixture, and place peppers open side up in a baking dish. In a medium bowl, combine tomato soup with just enough water to make the soup a gravy consistency. Pour over the peppers.
  4. Bake covered for 25 to 35 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/19/2011 7:21:26 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

As promised, here's my Meatless version of those wonderful Stuffed Green Peppers. Here, those Roasted Green Bell Peppers are stuffed with feta cheese and a mixture of rice and green onions.

Stuffed Peppers My Way

Ingredients

• 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup uncooked Arborio rice
  • 2 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pinch ground black pepper
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
  3. Place the peppers cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until tender and skin starts to brown.
  4. While the peppers are roasting, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in oil for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato, and cook for 5 minutes. Spoon in the cooked rice, and stir until heated through. Remove from heat, mix in the feta cheese, and spoon the mixture into the pepper halves.
  5. Return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves 2.

Hope Your Tuesday's Terrific,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/19/2011 10:33:19 PM
HI Phil,

You come up with ingredients I never heard of. What is Arborio rice? I don't remember seeing it. Maybe I need to look harder. lol

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/19/2011 11:13:26 PM

Hi Myrna,

Sorry about that my Friend. You've got to remember that I was married to an full-blooded Italian, so sometimes I forget that not everyone cooks in the same ways. Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain rice. When cooked, the rounded grains are firm, creamy, and chewy, due to its higher starch content, thus it has a starchy taste, but blends well with other flavours. It is used to make Risotto and it also makes excellent rice pudding.

Here's a basic risotto recipe made with butter and parmesan cheese. A truly classic Italian rice dish, Risotto is traditionally prepared with the variety of starchy, short-grained rice called arborio rice. The procedure for making it involves stirring hot stock into the uncooked rice a ladleful at a time and cooking slowly as the stock is absorbed. This technique, known as the risotto method, releases the arborio's starches, making a creamy, velvety dish. Excellent when added as a side dish for Veal.

Basic Risotto Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1½ cups arborio rice
  • 1 qt chicken stock
  • ½ cup white wine
  • 1 medium shallot or ½ small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
  • 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Preparation:

1. Heat the stock to a simmer in a medium saucepan, then lower the heat so that the stock just stays hot.

2. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil and 1 Tbsp of the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the chopped shallot or onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until it is slightly translucent.

3. Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so that the grains are coated with the oil and melted butter. Sauté for another minute or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma but don't let the rice turn brown.

4. Add the wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.

5. Add a ladle of hot chicken stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process.

Note: It's important to stir constantly, especially while the hot stock gets absorbed, to prevent scorching, and add the next ladle as soon as the rice is almost dry.

6. Continue adding ladles of hot stock and stirring the rice while the liquid is absorbed. As it cooks, you'll see that the rice will take on a creamy consistency as it begins to release its natural starches.

7. Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for 20-30 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn't done, you can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as you did with the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it's absorbed.

8. Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the parmesan cheese and the parsley, and season to taste with Kosher salt.

9. Risotto turns glutinous if held for too long, you should serve it right away. A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy mound on a dinner plate. It shouldn't run across the plate, nor should it be stiff or gluey. Makes 6-8 servings

Have A Terrific Evening,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/20/2011 5:38:33 PM

Hello My Friends,

Speaking of "Italian", topping your Pork Chops with tomato, basil, oregano, garlic, and mozzarella cheese will give them a pizza-like flavor. I threw these delicious pork chops together with some extra things from the garden. My Niece named them pizza pork chops because she says they tasted like pizza.

Amazing 'Pizza' Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 6 boneless pork chops
  • 1-1/4 pinches salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 6 slices tomato (1/2-inch thick)
  • 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
  • 2-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons olive oil
  • 6 slices mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat.
  2. Season the pork chops with salt and black pepper and arrange in the bottom of a disposable aluminum pan; top each with a tomato slice. Divide the basil, oregano, and garlic between the pork chops; drizzle with the olive oil. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
  3. Cook on the preheated grill until the pork is no longer pink in the center, about 25 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 160 degrees F. Remove the pan from the grill; top each pork chop with a slice of mozzarella cheese, replace the aluminum foil over the pan, and wait until the cheese melts, 3 to 5 minutes, before serving. Serves 6.

I love quinoa and I wanted to make something that was flavorful and filling. The vegetables can be changed to your liking! Try these: zucchini, carrots, celery, green bell pepper, red onion, or whatever you have hanging around your kitchen.

Quinoa with Veggies

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cups quinoa
  • 4-1/2 cups water
  • 1-1/2 pinches salt
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 4-1/2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 3/4 cup corn kernels
  • 3/4 teaspoon cumin
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 green onions, chopped

Directions

1. Bring the quinoa, water, and 1 pinch of salt to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, about 20 minutes. Once done, drain a mesh strainer, and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, and cook until the garlic softens and the aroma mellows, about 2 minutes. Add the red pepper, and corn; continue cooking until the pepper softens, about 5 minutes. Season with cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper, and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the cooked quinoa and green onions. Serve hot or cold. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!