Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/22/2011 11:05:16 PM
HI Phil and Sara,

I had fried chicken last night with some potato salad, fried beans ,cantaloupe and zucchini bread.

Like you Sara it is too hot to grill. Today it hit 100. They were calling for 105, which they received in many places, but we were on the tail end of a storm. The temp dropped down 11 degrees in a minute. Where they got the rained it dropped 25 degrees.

This is surly this week. Happy Summer everyone.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/24/2011 4:43:22 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today we're going to share some of my favorite Breakfast menu items. First, Ham mingles with Cheddar and mozzarella cheeses in this Baked Omelet recipe. This is a great Holiday breakfast, brunch dish or even a special company breakfast.

Baked Omelet

Ingredients

• 8 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
  • 3 ounces cooked ham, diced
  • 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced onion

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease one 8x8 inch casserole dish and set aside.
  2. Beat together the eggs and milk. Add seasoning salt, ham, Cheddar cheese, Mozzarella cheese and minced onion. Pour into prepared casserole dish.
  3. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes. Serves 4-6.
Then, for some Potatoes to top everything off. My father would throw this together. He used prepackaged diced potatoes and frozen onions and peppers until we turned him on to fresh. I've also see this done with boiled potatoes that are then coarsely grated & chunked.

Home Fries

Ingredients

• 4 large Yukon Gold potatoes
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
  2. Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion, green bell pepper and garlic, and cook until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
  3. Mix potatoes and remaining butter into the saucepan. Season with paprika, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until well mixed and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Cover while cooking if moist potatoes are preferred. Serves 4.

Finally, for a healthy but sweet, treat, this recipe can be used to make pancakes as well as waffles. Both are delicious because of their hearty, whole-grain flavor. For special treat, serve them topped with fruit or a flavored syrup.

Oatmeal Waffles

Ingredients

• 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 1 cup quick-cooking oats
  • 1 tablespoon molasses
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Milk

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix eggs and buttermilk. Add oats and mix well. Stir in molasses and oil. Combine flour, balking soda, baking powder and salt; stir into the egg mixture. If batter becomes too thick, thin with a little milk. Pour about 3/4 cup batter onto a greased preheated waffle maker. Bake according to manufacturer's directions. To make pancakes: Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot greased griddle. Turn when bubbles begin to form on top of pancake. Serves 5.

Have A Delightful Sunday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/25/2011 10:09:26 PM
Hi Phil,

I should live so long to try all these recipes. I keep making copies. I need an ingredient in one or the other. so maybe next time I go to the store I can remember at least half of the ingredients for one. lol Thanks my friend for keeping me supplied with recipes that sound so goooooooood.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/26/2011 1:06:09 PM

Hi Myrna,

I'm just glad that you're getting some recipes that you can use.

My last Wife originally gave me this recipe, and my family loves it! This is a great Cavatini recipe. It makes two 9x13 inch pans. You can bake one, and freeze the other for later use.

Cavatini

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 (4.5 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms, drained
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 (32 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce
  • 4 ounces chopped ham
  • 1/2 cup cooked and cubed chicken
  • 3 ounces sliced pepperoni sausage
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup seashell pasta
  • 6 ounces rotini pasta
  • 2 pounds mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. In a small skillet, saute onions, green peppers, and mushrooms in butter or margarine. Set aside.
  2. Brown hamburger in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain. Mix in tomato sauce, pasta sauce, chopped ham, chopped chicken or turkey, pepperoni, salt, and red and black pepper. Add vegetable saute to hamburger mixture.
  3. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
  4. Spread a little sauce over the bottom of two 9 x 13 inch pans. In each pan, place a layer of pasta, a layer of mozarella cheese, a hamburger sauce layer, a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, and another layer of mozarella cheese. Repeat layers. Cover pans.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes. Total of 16 Servings.

To complete your meal, try this Buttery bread, spread with garlic, two melted cheeses, zesty spices, drizzled with olive oil, and broiled to a crispy perfection.

The Most Incredible Garlic Bread

Ingredients

• 1 (20 ounce) loaf French bread, sliced
  • 1 cup olive oil, divided
  • 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
  • 1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 pinch salt
  • freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • Directions

1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
    2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for a few minutes until fragrant.
    3. In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese, garlic, oregano, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix in about half of the remaining olive oil until smooth. Spread 1 tablespoon of this mixture onto each slice of bread, and place them on the foil-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over each slice, then drizzle with remaining olive oil.
    4. Broil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Watch VERY carefully, it will brown fast. Serves 12.

Have A Terrific week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    7/26/2011 6:38:19 PM

Hello Everyone,

Here's a little something special for all of us Vegetable lovers here in the Summertime. These quick quesadillas are loaded with the best of the season: summer squash, fresh corn, and diced tomatoes. Fresh chiles and chipotle powder add depth and give the dish some smoky heat. Keep with the farmers' market theme by serving this along with Steamed Green Beans with Lemon Vinaigrette.

Farmers’ Market Quesadillas

Ingredients

5 Tbs. vegetable oil
    1 cup small-diced fresh, mild chiles, such as Anaheim or poblano (from about 2 large chiles)
    1-1/2 cups small-diced summer squash (from about 2 small zucchini, yellow squash, or yellow crookneck)
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup fresh corn kernels (from 2 medium ears)
    1/8 tsp. chipotle chile powder
    1 cup diced tomato (from 2 small tomatoes)
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
    Four 9-inch flour tortillas
    2 cups grated sharp cheddar (8 oz.)
    Sour cream for serving (optional)

Preparation

Heat the oven to 200°F. Fit a cooling rack over a baking sheet and put in the oven.

Heat 1 Tbs. of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the chiles and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the squash softens and starts to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the corn and chipotle powder and cook 2 minutes more. Spoon into a bowl, let cool for a few minutes, and then fold in the tomato, cilantro, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture.

Lay several layers of paper towel on a work surface. Wipe out the skillet, put it over medium-high heat, and add 1 Tbs. of the oil. When it's hot, put one tortilla in the pan. Quickly distribute 1/2 cup of the cheese evenly over the tortilla and about a quarter of the remaining vegetable mixture over half the tortilla. When the underside of the tortilla is browned, use tongs to fold the cheese-only side over the vegetable side. Lay the quesadilla on the paper towels, blot for a few seconds, and then move it to the rack in the oven to keep warm while you repeat with the remaining oil and tortillas. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve immediately with the reserved vegetable mixture and sour cream. Serves 4.

You can also use any leftover vinaigrette as a salad dressing or as a marinade for grilled chicken, for those that simply must have Meat.

Steamed Green Beans with Lemon Vinaigrette

Ingredients
    1-1/4 lb. green beans, trimmed and rinsed
    3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    2 Tbs. mayonnaise or heavy cream
    1 Tbs. minced shallots
    3/4 tsp. kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup canola oil
    1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper

Preparation

Steam the green beans until tender, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise, shallots, salt, and pepper. Add the oil in a slow stream, whisking constantly until the vinaigrette is well blended. Toss the cooked beans with the red pepper and enough vinaigrette to coat, about 1/3 cup. Serve warm, with extra vinaigrette on the side, if you like. Serves 4.

Hope Your Week's Terrific,

Phil

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!