Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/28/2011 6:56:33 PM

Hi Myrna & Friends,

Since you mentioned Fried Chicken & Potato Salad, here's a little different spin on them that you might like to try.

A spicy yogurt marinade adds some zing to these Fried Chicken Drumsticks, perfect either for a picnic or just about any casual summer meal. Serve with Grilled Corn on the Cob and Roasted Red Potato Salad on the side.

Spicy Fried Chicken

Ingredients:
9 oz. (2 cups) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
2 Tbs. chili powder
2-1/2 tsp. kosher salt; more as needed
2 tsp. Bell’s Poultry Seasoning
2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. cayenne
2-1/2 cups vegetable oil
8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed

Preparation:

Put the flour in a large, sturdy brown paper bag and the yogurt in a medium bowl. To the flour, add 1 Tbs. of the chili powder, 2 tsp. of the salt, 1 tsp. each of the poultry seasoning, onion powder, and pepper, and 1/4 tsp. each of the celery seed and cayenne. Roll the top of the bag closed and shake to combine.

To the yogurt, add the remaining 1 Tbs. chili powder, the remaining 1 tsp. each poultry seasoning, onion powder, and pepper, 1/2 tsp. of the salt, the remaining 1/4 tsp. celery seed, and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne. Mix well.

In an 11- or 12-inch straight-sided sauté pan or cast-iron skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.

Add the drumsticks to the yogurt mixture and stir and toss (with your hands or tongs) to coat completely. Put 4 of the drumsticks in the bag with the flour mixture, close the bag, and shake vigorously (over the sink in case any flour escapes) to coat well. Shake off excess flour, put the drumsticks on a plate, and repeat with the remaining chicken.

Put the drumsticks in the hot oil, cover, and fry until they’re golden brown on the bottom, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn each drumstick and continue to fry, uncovered, turning occasionally as needed to brown evenly, until golden brown and cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes longer (cut into a piece to check). Put the drumsticks on a wire rack set over paper towels to drain and sprinkle all over with salt while still hot. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. Serves 4-6.

Grilling is a great alternative to boiling corn on the cob, because it gives the corn a toasty flavor. With this method, the single layer of husk that’s left on the corn protects it from charring all over, which can overpower the sweetness of the corn and dry it out.

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Ingredients:
4 ears fresh corn on the cob, husks intact

Preparation:

Prepare a medium to medium-high charcoal or gas grill fire (about 400°F).

Meanwhile, remove all but the innermost layer of the corn husks. Gently bend back this remaining layer of husk without detaching it so that you can remove the silk. (Don’t worry about getting all the silk off—the rest will cook off or soften on the grill.) Pull the husks back into place so that the corn is loosely covered.

Put the corn on the grill and cover. Turn when the husk is nicely browned on one side, after 2 to 3 minutes. Continue to cook and turn until the corn husk is toasted on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes total. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

I made this potato salad healthier by using low fat mayonnaise, omitting the bacon and salt and adding a little celery.

Roasted Red Potato Salad

Ingredients

• 2 pounds red potatoes, cut in 1-inch cubes
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
  • 1 cup low fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup diced celery
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • Paprika

Directions

1. Place the potatoes in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Cool for 15 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; add onion, eggs, low fat mayonnaise,celery and pepper. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Serves 4-6.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/28/2011 9:24:22 PM
Hi Phil,

Can I come to the cook out, I love roasted corn on the cob off the grill. So yummy

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/28/2011 10:44:09 PM

Hi Myrna,

Sure you can come my Friend, everyone's welcome. I must agree with you that there's something special about the flavor of Roasted Corn on the Cob, hot off of the grill.

Here's another different Potato Salad recipe that one of my Vegetarian Friends shared with me the other evening that I thought you all might like. It's a healthy potato salad high in antioxidants from the colorful vegetables. The vinegar also lessens the blood-sugar boost of the potatoes.

Veggie Potato Salad

Ingredients

• 1 pound small red potatoes, unpeeled
  • 2/3 cup chopped red onions
  • 1/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed, cooked al dente
  • 1 cup and 3 tablespoons roughly chopped red cabbage
  • 2/3 cup grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tablespoon capers, drained
  • 1/2 ounce basil leaves, trimmed and torn in large pieces
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Mustard Dressing:
  • 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon white balsamic or rice vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed

Directions

1. In a large pot, cook whole potatoes until done. Cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces. In a very large bowl, combine all ingredients fro m potatoes through basil. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Toss with vegetables, and add salt and pepper to taste. Chill. Serve. Serves 8.

Rather than Bread, I added some more Protein by adding my new favorite flavor of Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thins, Country Ranch.

There's only 130 calories in 16 crackers, along with 3 grams of protein. Also, they contain No Cholesterol, No Saturated Fat, and No Wheat Gluten.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2011 2:00:20 AM

Hello Everyone,

We'll kick up tonight's grilled steak a notch with an intensely flavored Romesco sauce that is fragrant, simple to make, and an excellent addition to just about anything you put on the grill. Then, we pair this steak with Green Beans with Smoked Paprika and Almonds for a perfect meal.

Grilled Skirt Steak with Quick Romesco Sauce

Ingredients:
1-1/4 to 1-1/2 lb. skirt steak, trimmed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 thin slice white sandwich bread, darkly toasted
2 Tbs. toasted sliced almonds
7.5-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained (3/4 cup)
1 tsp. sherry vinegar
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 medium cloves garlic
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. smoked sweet paprika or plain sweet paprika

Directions:

Prepare a medium-high grill fire. If you have one large piece of skirt steak, cut it crosswise, separating the thicker part from the thinner. Season the steak on both sides with salt and pepper.

Tear the bread into large pieces, put in a food processor, and process to fine crumbs. Add the almonds and process until coarsely ground. Add the roasted red peppers, vinegar, and pepper flakes and process until the mixture is fairly smooth, about 1 minute.

Chop the garlic and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt. Using the flat side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic to a paste. In a 10-inch skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic paste and paprika and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant but not browned, 20 to 30 seconds. Add the pepper mixture and cook, stirring, until heated through and thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Set aside at room temperature.

Grill the steak, covered, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reaches 130°F for medium rare or 140°F for medium, 4 to 8 minutes. (The thinner pieces will take less time. Be careful. overcooked skirt steak is tough.) Move the steak to a cutting board and let rest for 3 minutes. Cut each piece crosswise into 4- to 6-inch-long pieces and then, holding your knife at a slight angle, cut each piece across the grain into thin slices.

Serve with the sauce. Serves 4.

If you don’t like spicy heat, you might want to use sweet pimentón instead.

Green Beans with Smoked Paprika and Almonds

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
3/4 lb. green beans, preferably Spanish Musica, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths (3 cups)
1/2 cup thinly sliced shallots (about 2 medium)
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/3 cup coarsely chopped Marcona almonds
1/4 tsp. hot Spanish smoked paprika (pimentón de la Vera)

Directions:

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil. Cook the beans in the water until just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and run under cold water to cool. Drain well.

Put the shallots and olive oil in a cold 12-inch skillet and set the pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the shallots begin to turn golden, stirring to break them into rings, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the shallots and stir constantly until they are golden all over, about 45 seconds. Add the almonds, stir well, and immediately add the beans and smoked paprika. Cook, stirring, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and serve. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Friday Evening,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/30/2011 2:12:40 AM
Hello My Friends,

The Vegetarian lifestyle can be a little bland sometimes, however, ever so often, I like to treat my self to a Dash of Color and a Splash or two of flavors.

If you’re hitting the farmers’ markets in late summer, sooner or later you’re going to wind up with a bowl of peaches and a bowl of tomatoes next to each other on your kitchen counter. They’re in season together, and they taste great together, with the sweetness of the peach balancing the acidity of the tomato, so go ahead and turn them into a salad. (But please don’t make this salad in the off-season.) I call this easy summer dish a gazpacho salad not because it looks like one, but because you can roughly purée any leftovers in a blender, chill it, and you’ve got a delicious gazpacho.

The dressing for this salad has orange juice in it, but when I have it on hand, I like to substitute a store-bought mango smoothie drink (like Odwalla) for the orange juice.

Heirloom Tomato, Summer Peach, and Fresh Herb Gazpacho Salad

Ingredients:

2 lb. heirloom tomatoes (a mix of sizes—including cherries—and colors is nice)
1 lb. ripe peaches
1/2 small red onion (about 2 oz.)
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbs. orange juice or mango smoothie drink, and more if needed
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, and more if needed
1 tsp. soy sauce, and more if needed
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/4 tsp. kosher salt, and more if needed
1/2 cup lightly packed whole small mint and basil leaves (or large ones torn into smaller pieces)
Edible flowers, petals separated if large, for garnish (optional)

Preparation:

Core the large tomatoes and stem any cherry or tiny tomatoes. Cut the larger tomatoes into large, evenly sized pieces. To do this easily, first cut the tomatoes crosswise into thick slabs, and then cut the slabs into large dice (3/4 to 1 inch wide). If the tomatoes are very irregularly shaped, just cut them into wedges and then cut the wedges in half. Cut the cherry or tiny tomatoes in half or into quarters. Put all of the tomatoes into a large shallow serving bowl.
Peel the peaches with a paring knife and slice them off the pit into wedges (whatever size you like, depending on the size of your peach). Add the peaches to the bowl. Slice the onion lengthwise as thinly as you can and add it to the bowl, too.
Whisk together the olive oil, 2 Tbs. orange juice, 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp. soy sauce, lemon zest, and 1/4 tsp. salt. Pour the dressing over the tomatoes and peaches. Add half of the herbs, season with salt, and toss gently but thoroughly. Taste the juices and add more vinegar, soy sauce, and orange juice if you need to. (You can let the salad sit for a few more minutes and taste and season again if you like.) Before serving, toss again and sprinkle with remaining herbs and the flowers (if using).

Have A Wonderful Weekend,
Phil
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!