Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/15/2011 8:12:07 PM

Hello Friends,

Well,it Friday night and time for Seafood once again and this time we're going a little bit spicy. This recipe is a hot one, but delicious. If you are weak of tongue, then divide the amounts of peppers in half. Better to add more than spoil your creation. Also, Bay scallops are preferred, but the larger sea scallops can be used if they are cut in half. Three kinds of pepper turn up the heat in this creamy shrimp and scallop sauce. Fresh basil, thyme, and parsley add just the right counterpoint, while Swiss and Parmesan cheese add their own sharp flavors. Finally, this dish can also be placed in a casserole dish and placed under the broiler until top turns golden brown!

Cajun Seafood Pasta

Ingredients

• 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 1 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup chopped parsley
  • 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1/2 pound scallops
  • 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 pound dry fettuccine pasta

Directions

1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
  2. Meanwhile, pour cream into large skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until just about boiling. Reduce heat, and add herbs, salt, peppers, onions, and parsley. Simmer 7 to 8 minutes, or until thickened.
  3. Stir in seafood, cooking until shrimp is no longer transparent. Stir in cheeses, blending well.
  4. Drain pasta. Serve sauce over noodles.

Have A Happy Friday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/15/2011 9:38:39 PM
HI Phil,

Just added another one to my recipe file. I should live so long to use all these recipes. Thanks.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/16/2011 3:51:14 AM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping back by and I pray that we both should live that long! Since we were just talking about Squash and Zucchini a few days ago, I wanted to share one with you that I was served at a Cookout tonight. Squash and Zucchini were wrapped in a foil package on the grill. They were great when served with the steak and the chicken which were also being grilled.

Grilled Zucchini and Squash

Ingredients

• 2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut in 1/4 inch slices
  • 1 summer squash, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder

Directions

1. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
  2. Place the zucchini, and squash on a large sheet of aluminum foil, and dot with butter. Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Seal vegetables in the foil.
  3. Place the foil pack on the preheated grill, and cook 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.

Hope Your Weekend Rocks,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/16/2011 10:04:31 PM
Hello My Friends,

Here's some more "meat & taters", but with a healthy twist. Since ground turkey breast is super-lean, it partners well with fattier foods. Smoky bacon adds incredible flavor, as does the creamy blue cheese sauce. Since the flavors are so intense, I like to serve these burgers on whole wheat or whole grain buns. You can also add your favorite toppings, such as fried onions, lettuce, and sliced tomatoes.

Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Burger

Ingredients
Cooking spray
1-1/4 lb. ground turkey breast
1-1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
8 slices regular bacon or turkey bacon
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tsp. chopped fresh chives
4 hamburger buns, preferably whole wheat

Directions

Coat a stove-top griddle or large skillet with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey and poultry seasoning until thoroughly mixed, then shape into 4 patties, each about 1 inch thick. Wrap two slices of bacon around each burger, covering the outer edge (secure with a wooden toothpick if necessary). Place the burgers on the hot griddle and cook until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sour cream, blue cheese, and chives. Place burgers on buns and top with the blue cheese sauce. Serves 4.

No store-bought bun can compare with rustic, wheaty, homemade burger buns like these. A bit time consuming to prepare, but well worth the wait. Makes 8 Buns.

Whole-Wheat Burger Buns

Ingredients

• 1 cup low-fat milk
  • 1/3 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature (see Cooking tip), lightly beaten
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
  • 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 1 3/4 cups (approximately) unbleached all-purpose flour
  • Cornmeal, for sprinkling

Preparation

1. Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until the surface shimmers. Transfer to a medium bowl and let cool to body temperature, about 10 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, pour water into a small bowl. Sprinkle yeast over the water, stir, then let stand for 5 to 10 minutes to dissolve.
  3. Add egg to the milk; whisk well. Whisk in sugar, salt, oil and the yeast. Stir in whole-wheat flour. Using a heavy wooden spoon, beat vigorously by hand for 100 strokes. Let stand for 5 minutes.
  4. Start adding all-purpose flour to the dough, about 1/3 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. When the dough is somewhat firm and no longer too sticky to handle, turn it out onto a floured surface. With floured hands, knead the dough for 7 to 8 minutes, using additional flour as needed to prevent sticking. Coat a large bowl with cooking spray. Add the dough and turn to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free spot to rise until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
  5. When the dough has doubled, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute. Using a dough cutter or chef's knife, cut the dough into 8 equal pieces. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 5 minutes.
  6. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray and dust it with cornmeal. Shape the dough into tight balls and place them about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Coat a large sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it over the buns, sprayed side down.
  7. Set the buns in a warm, draft-free spot until they have risen by about half, 25 to 30 minutes. Gently press down on the buns, pressing right on the plastic, to flatten them a little. Let them rise for another 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
  8. Bake the buns on the center rack until golden and crusty, about 25 minutes. The bottoms should sound hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
There's something about potato salads that I just cannot resist, and I love experimenting with different ways to prepare them. One of my favorite versions, is this Minted Potato salad Recipe with Peas and Cauliflower from my Weight Watcher's files. The cauliflower and peas help give the dish some extra bulk, while the tangy, creamy minted dressing adds a deliciously unexpected flavor. The colors and textures are beautiful, making this low calorie Potato Salad Recipe a great way to add some pizazz to your summer picnic or barbeque.

Minted Potato Salad Recipe with Peas and Cauliflower

Ingredients

• 1 lb baby red potatoes, chopped into bite size pieces
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp dry white wine
  • 1 tbsp fat free mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

Preparation

1. In a large sauce pan, bring potatoes and cauliflower to a boil and simmer until tender, about 12 minutes, adding in the peas during the last 2 minutes. Drain and let cool a bit. Transfer to a large bowl.
  2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine vinegar, wine, mayonnaise, yogurt, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over potatoes and cauliflower.
  3. Add in the chopped mint and toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/18/2011 12:11:34 AM
Hello My Friends,

Here's a wonderful Sunday Dinner, elegant but simple to prepare. Sorry that I couldn't get back by any sooner today. I was going to try to put this one up last night, so that you might be able to have it this evening, but it will still be good next weekend as well. This is a real crowd pleaser. You can add your own favorite spices, herbs or veggies to this, according to your taste. Voila, a classic gourmet chicken dinner in under an hour! (Note: you can use white chicken meat, but be careful not to overcook it - 35 minutes tops, or it will dry out!)

Coq au Vin alla Italiana

Ingredients

• 3 pounds dark meat chicken pieces
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 3-3/4 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 2-1/4 (4 ounce) links sweet Italian sausage, sliced
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion
  • 2-1/4 carrots, sliced
  • 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 3/4 cup red wine
  • 3/4 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a large skillet, heat oil. Add 1/2 of the garlic. Season flour with poultry seasoning. Dredge chicken parts in flour, then brown in the skillet for 4 or 5 minutes. Add the sausage, and saute for a few minutes. Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, rosemary and the remaining garlic. Stir all together.
  2. Add the wine and tomatoes; stir. Cover and let simmer over low heat for 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for another 10 minutes. Let cool covered for 10 minutes, then serve. Serves 6.
This versatile side dish would work great along with pork, chicken, beef or fish. The trick is to slowly add the cornmeal and whisk constantly to avoid lumps.

Cheesy Polenta

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1-1/2 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 cup polenta or yellow cornmeal
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 3 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Directions

1. In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring milk, water, and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in polenta. Reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook 20 minutes, until creamy, lifting the lid and stirring every 3 or 4 minutes to prevent sticking. Remove pot from stove, stir in pepper and butter. Gradually stir in cheese. Serve. Serves 6.
Here's a delicious dish that can be prepared in advance, and tossed with hot oil just before the dinner is served.

Green Beans With Walnuts

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, washed and trimmed
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
  • 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons walnut oil
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • salt to taste

Directions

1. Place the walnuts on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 5 to 8 minutes.
  2. Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain. Rinse beans with cold water, and drain well. Can be prepared 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.
  3. Melt butter or margarine with oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. Add beans and toss until heated through, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add walnuts and parsley and toss. Transfer to bowl and serve. Serves 6.
Finally, for Dessert, a little something different. A moist cake made with fresh figs.

Fresh Fig Cake

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup chopped fresh figs
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cups chopped fresh figs
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with vegetable oil spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with the sugar until fluffy. Add egg and beat well. Add flour mixture alternately with the evaporated milk. Fold in vanilla and almond extracts and chopped figs.
  4. Divide into two prepared 8 inch round cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry.
  5. To make the filling: In a saucepan, combine 2 cups figs, brown sugar, water and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes. Spread thinly between layers of cake and on top.

Have A Blessed Sunday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!