Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/11/2011 8:50:32 PM

Hello My Friends,

Myrna, you're welcome to put that Video on here. It's quite interesting and I'd love to find out out her Court case comes out. We have Community gardens in my neigborhoods, where everyone shares the work and then shares the Vegetables on a co-op basis. This works out quite well, and also, any excess vegetables are donated then to the Food Bank.

Roger, I understand completely about the Cottage Cheese. Many of those in my family won't touch it either. Personally, on these hot Summer nights, a big bowl of fresh fruit, a couple of scoops of low-fat Cottage Cheese and some Saltine crackers, are my evening meal. Of course, after the meal, I keep lots of healthy snacks on hand like the following, to fill in.

Here's one I really love. Simple and wholesome popsicles. My mom used to help us make these when we were kids and I still enjoy them years later. I use honey as an alternate sweetener, and you may blend the fruit to be either chunky or smooth.

Fresh Fruit and Yogurt Ice Pops

Ingredients

• 2 cups fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and sliced bananas, mixed
  • 2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 8 small paper cups
  • 8 popsicle sticks

Directions

1. Place the mixed blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, sliced bananas, yogurt, and sugar into a blender. Cover, and blend until fruit is chunky or smooth, as desired.
  2. Fill paper cups 3/4 full with fruit mixture. Cover the top of each cup with a strip of aluminum foil. Poke a popsicle stick through the center of the foil on each cup.
  3. Place the cups in the freezer for at least 5 hours. To serve, remove foil and peel off the paper cup.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/11/2011 9:11:32 PM

Hello Again Everyone,

Speaking of hot nights and light Meals, here's another favorite of mine. Full of bright flavors, this shrimp salad is delicious on its own, too. Although I prefer touse fresh, if you're in a hurry, you can use precooked shrimp for an easy weeknight dinner. The shrimp salad will keep for up to 2 days, covered, in the refrigerator. If you prefer, start the meal with a fresh salad, like the one below.

Shrimp Salad Rolls with Tarragon & Chives

Ingredients:
Kosher salt
2 lb. large shrimp (31 to 40 per lb.), preferably easy-peel
3/4 cup finely chopped celery with leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives
1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh tarragon
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice; more to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
6 hot dog rolls, preferably New England-style split-top rolls

Preparation:

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until bright pink and cooked through, about 2 minutes.the water needn't return to a boil. Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop the cooking. Shell the shrimp, devein if necessary, and cut into 1/2- to 3/4-inch pieces.

In a large bowl, stir the celery, mayonnaise, chives, tarragon, lemon juice, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Stir in the shrimp and season to taste with more lemon, salt, and pepper.

Position a rack 6 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler to high. Toast both outside surfaces of the rolls under the broiler, about 1 minute per side. Spoon the shrimp salad into the rolls, using about 2/3 cup per roll, and serve. Serves 6.

For a little Variation: Make it a lobster roll - Substitute 1-1/2 lb. (4 cups) cooked lobster meat for the cooked shrimp.

Summer savory has a peppery flavor and pungent aroma. If you can’t find it, just substitute fresh thyme or marjoram.

Tomato & Fresh Green Bean Salad with Crisp Prosciutto

Ingredients:
6 medium-size ripe red tomatoes, each cut into 6-wedges
Kosher salt
4 thin slices prosciutto (about 2-oz.)
1/2 oz. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
3 Tbs. chopped fresh summer savory, plus fresh sprigs for garnish
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. sherry vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups yellow and orange cherry tomatoes (or other bite-size tomatoes), halved

Preparation:

Heat the oven to 400°F. Put a large pot of salted ­water on to boil.

Put the tomato wedges in a colander set over a bowl. ­Sprinkle with with 1 Tbs. salt, toss, and let stand for 30 min.

Slice the prosciutto crosswise into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until crisp and light golden, about 10 min. Set aside.

Meanwhile, when the water comes to a boil, add the beans and cook until tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain and let cool.

In a small bowl, whisk together the chopped ­savory, ­garlic, and vinegar. Whisk in the olive oil to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Combine the tomato wedges, cherry tomatoes, and green beans in a bowl. Add the vinaigrette, toss, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a shallow serving bowl or platter, sprinkle with the prosciutto, and garnish with the savory sprigs. Serve immediately.

Have A Great Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/11/2011 9:32:16 PM
Hi Phil,

Thanks my friend you are so kind and I didn't think you would mind keeping up with the latest news. We will keep watch for our lady and her veggie garden. I don't care if it is in her front yard. Whatever works. They aren't lazy, it takes work to keep a garden.

Speaking of gardens, mine is really doing wonderful. I have zuccinhi and white squash coming on, green beans I picked on Saturday, need to pick more. Will wait until 8:00 it is so hot today. 95 at 5:30 with high humidity Great time to pick beans. Any good recipes for squash is greatly appreciated.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/12/2011 4:00:48 AM

Hi Myrna,

Say you've got a little extra Squash & Zucchini. I just happen to have a few recipes for that! Here's a few of my favorites to get you started.

Here's an easy summer recipe that you are sure to enjoy! Feel free to doctor it up by adding chopped red pepper and/or alternating with zucchini as well.

Summer Squash Bake

Ingredients

• 1 large summer squash, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut into small chunks
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Lay the summer squash slices in a single layer in a 9x12-inch baking dish; dot with butter. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the squash.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the squash is tender, bubbling, and golden yellow-brown, about 20 minutes. Serves 4.

The simplest things are often the tastiest. Here's a nice and easy way to enjoy summer squashes and zucchini.

Garlic Roasted Summer Squash

Ingredients

• 2 summer squash
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
  • 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
  • salt to taste
  • ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
  2. Trim the ends from the squash, and cut each squash in half lengthwise. Cut the halves in half again crosswise, to make 4 pieces; cut those pieces in half twice more the long way, to make 16 short spears from each squash. Toss the squash with olive oil and garlic in a bowl; place into a shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
  3. Roast the squash until the spears and garlic start to brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Check the squash after 5 minutes, and add time in 2- to 3-minute intervals to avoid burning. Serves 4.
Next, here's a golden, crunchy, seasoned way to serve zucchini that is quite flavorful!

Oven Baked Zucchini Fries

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 (9 inch) zucchini, peeled
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil lightly greased with cooking spray.
  2. Cut the peeled zucchini in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice the zucchini ito 1/2 x 1/2 x 4 inch pieces.
  3. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and seasoned salt in a pie plate. Dip the zucchini fries into the melted margarine, then press into bread crumbs. Gently toss between your hands so any bread crumbs that haven't stuck can fall away. Place the breaded zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven until the fries are golden and tender, about 15 minutes. Serves 4.
If you want one to Set & Forget, here's some Yellow squash made easy, and put to the side to keep warm so you can tend to other parts of the dinner. It is easy and delicious, but just don't use too much cheese; you want to taste the wonderful flavor of the yellow or summer squash.

Easy Slow Cooker Squash

Ingredients

• 4 pounds yellow summer squash, sliced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/4 pound processed cheese food (such as Velveeta®), cubed

Directions

1. Place the squash and onion into a pot, and pour in enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil, cover the pot, and simmer the vegetables until tender, about 10 minutes. Do not stir. Drain the squash and onion in a colander set in the sink.

Gently layer the cooked squash and onions, cubes of butter, and cheese food cubes in a slow cooker. Set the cooker on Low, and cook until the squash are very tender and the butter and cheese have formed a creamy sauce, about 1 hour. Do not stir. Serves 6.

Finally, if you'd like a Snack, here's a quick, easy, and a healthy way to use some of that zucchini from your garden.

Baked Zucchini Chips

Ingredients

• 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 egg whites

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
  2. In one small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Dip zucchini slices into the egg whites, then coat the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn over and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until browned and crispy. Serves 4.

Have A Great Night My Friend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/12/2011 6:11:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

Back to simplicity. Burgers & fries, so to speak.

These ground turkey burgers are seasoned with onions, barbecue sauce, liquid smoke, and spices and then topped with a spicy honey mustard mayo and caramelized onions.

Kickin' Turkey Burgers

Ingredients

Spicy Sweet Mayo

• 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup coarse-grain mustard
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
  • hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™) to taste
  • 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

Burgers

• 1 1/4 pounds extra lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 large onion, grated
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
  • 2 tablespoons barbeque sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
  • 1 tablespoon steak seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon dry mesquite flavored seasoning mix
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 large onion, sliced
  • 5 hamburger buns, split

Directions

1. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, honey, horseradish, hot pepper sauce, and cayenne pepper in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate.
  2. Mix ground turkey, grated onion, jalapeno, barbeque sauce, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, steak seasoning, and mesquite seasoning in a large bowl. Form into 5 patties.
  3. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
  4. Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat, turning once, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C), about 6 minutes per side. Serve on buns topped with spicy sweet mayo and caramelized onions. Serves 5.

These baked sweet potato fries are seasoned with cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger.

Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients

• 2 sweet potatoes, cut into french fries
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons light olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Rinse the sweet potato fries with cold water and drain. Spread onto a baking sheet.
  3. Stir the cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, coriander, and brown sugar together in a bowl; sprinkle over the fries. Drizzle the olive oil over the fries.
  4. Bake in the preheated oven until tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to serve. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!