Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
7/13/2011 1:36:55 AM
Hi Phil,

All I need to do is ask and there those recipes are. Thank you so much. I will give these a try on Thursday. 1st day I have time. Having a Tupperware Party tomorrow evening.

This look so good. I like the idea of baked. Thanks so much

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/13/2011 8:02:23 AM
hi phil and myrna.

hubby and i love zucchini. we have lots of farmers markets here in portland. wish i had friends who were growing zucchini - but i'll get some medium/large ones so I can make the baked Z that you show here phil.

thanks alot for the wonderful recipes.

pat

Quote:

Hi Myrna,

Say you've got a little extra Squash & Zucchini. I just happen to have a few recipes for that! Here's a few of my favorites to get you started.

Here's an easy summer recipe that you are sure to enjoy! Feel free to doctor it up by adding chopped red pepper and/or alternating with zucchini as well.

Summer Squash Bake

Ingredients

• 1 large summer squash, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1/4 cup butter, cut into small chunks
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Lay the summer squash slices in a single layer in a 9x12-inch baking dish; dot with butter. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the squash.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the squash is tender, bubbling, and golden yellow-brown, about 20 minutes. Serves 4.

The simplest things are often the tastiest. Here's a nice and easy way to enjoy summer squashes and zucchini.

Oven Baked Zucchini Fries

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 (9 inch) zucchini, peeled
  • 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil lightly greased with cooking spray.
  2. Cut the peeled zucchini in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice the zucchini ito 1/2 x 1/2 x 4 inch pieces.
  3. Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, and seasoned salt in a pie plate. Dip the zucchini fries into the melted margarine, then press into bread crumbs. Gently toss between your hands so any bread crumbs that haven't stuck can fall away. Place the breaded zucchini onto the prepared baking sheet.
  4. Bake the zucchini in the preheated oven until the fries are golden and tender, about 15 minutes. Serves 4.
If you want one to Set & Forget, here's some Yellow squash made easy, and put to the side to keep warm so you can tend to other parts of the dinner. It is easy and delicious, but just don't use too much cheese; you want to taste the wonderful flavor of the yellow or summer squash.

Baked Zucchini Chips

Ingredients

• 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 egg whites

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C).
  2. In one small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, pepper and Parmesan cheese. Place the egg whites in a separate bowl. Dip zucchini slices into the egg whites, then coat the breadcrumb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 5 minutes in the preheated oven, then turn over and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until browned and crispy. Serves 4.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/13/2011 8:58:54 PM

Hi Myrna & Pat,

As you all can see, I really like Squash and Zucchini as well, and I actually have hundreds of recipes using them either alone or in combination. This Evening I thought that we might change up a little bit so here's a very special old Italian dish that warms your stomach, as well as your heart. It is a labor of love, but worth every bite! For a different taste, you can also use a combination of ground beef and ground pork.

Italian Baked Cannelloni

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • salt to taste
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 12 cannelloni pasta shells

Directions

1. To make the Cannelloni Filling: In a large skillet over medium heat, warm oil and saute ground beef with the onion, sage and rosemary; cook until meat is evenly browned and crumbly. Add salt and 1/2 cup white wine; cook until wine is evaporated.
  2. To make the Bechamel sauce: Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until well incorporated. Stir in milk and bring to a slow boil until mixture thickens. Stir into the meat mixture and mix well. Stir in the mozzarella and egg yolks; set aside.
  3. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute onion until soft and translucent. Add 1/2 cup white wine and let it cook down to evaporate; add tomato and salt. Mix well; simmer for 15 minutes.
  4. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, a few at a time, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; using a slotted spoon, remove immediately to a pot filled with cold water. Lift pasta out with slotted spoon and arrange on a flat surface.
  5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  6. Spoon a line of filling into each shell, starting from one end and using your finger to push the filling inside of each shell. In a 9x13 inch baking dish, place cannelloni and cover with tomato mixture.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until heated through; when finished baking, allow to stand for 5 minutes and serve. Serves 6.

Have A Wild & Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/13/2011 9:09:17 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

While I'm here, let's have another for my Vegetarian friends who also like Zucchini. Here the Zucchini are hollowed out, then stuffed with a cheesy mushroom filling, and broiled until browned and bubbling for an easy and meatless main dish. You can also make these ahead and broil later as needed.

Mushroom Stuffed Zucchini

Ingredients

• 4 zucchini, trimmed
  • 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons butter
  • 1-1/3 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
  • 1/3 cup red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
  • 1-1/3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

1. Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil, and cook the zucchini whole until they start to become tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the zucchini, and set aside to cool. Once cool, slice the zucchini in half lengthwise, and scoop out the center flesh, leaving a 1/4-inch thick shell around the entire zucchini. Chop the scooped-out zucchini flesh.
  2. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the mushrooms and sweet red pepper until tender and the mushrooms release their juice, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and oregano, then stir in the reserved chopped zucchini flesh and Monterey Jack cheese. Heat the mixture until the cheese is melted and the filling is hot. Stuff the filling into the hollowed-out zucchini; sprinkle each with about 3/4 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
  3. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.
  4. Broil the zucchini until the filling is bubbling and the cheese is browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/14/2011 8:47:14 PM

Hello Everyone,

While the fresh summer peaches are in abundance, here in NC at least, I thought that we could use them in this quick dinner to lend a sweet-spicy note to some juicy pork chops. A serrated peeler makes quick work of peeling peaches, but if you don’t have one, simply blanch the peaches in boiling water for about 30 seconds to loosen the skins.

Pork Chops with Peach-Ginger Chutney

Ingredients
2 medium peaches (about 3/4 lb.), peeled, pitted, and chopped
One 3-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 4 thick coins
1 large shallot, chopped
2 tsp. granulated sugar
1 large sprig fresh thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3-1/4 oz. (3/4 cup) all-purpose flour
4 (3/4-inch-thick) boneless pork loin chops
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions

Combine the peaches, ginger, shallot, sugar, thyme sprig, a pinch each of salt and pepper, and 1 Tbs. water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the peaches have collapsed and released their juices, about 20 minutes; discard the ginger and thyme sprig. Cover and set aside.

Meanwhile, combine the flour, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper in a wide, shallow dish and stir to combine. Season the pork chops on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge the chops in the flour mixture, shake off any excess, and transfer to a clean plate. Discard any remaining flour.

Heat the oil in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium heat. Arrange the pork chops in a single layer and cook, turning once, until deep golden-brown all over and cooked through, about 12 minutes total.

Mash the peach chutney with a potato masher until slightly chunky. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer the pork chops to plates, top with the chutney, and serve. Serves 4.

The flavors in this pilaf remind me a little of paella. It’s a great partner for seafood, pork, or chicken.

Saffron Rice Pilaf with Red Pepper & Toasted Almonds

Ingredients
2-1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth or water
Pinch saffron (about 20 threads)
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, small diced (1-1/4 cups)
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and small diced (about 1 cup)
1-1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1 tsp. kosher salt; more as needed
Pinch ground cayenne
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 large clove garlic, minced (1-1/2 tsp.)
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 Tbs. roughly chopped fresh oregano

Directions

On the stovetop or in the microwave, heat the broth until hot. Add the saffron, cover, and let sit for 15 to 20 min.

In a heavy-based 3-qt. saucepan with a tight lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the diced onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 5 min. Add the rice, salt, and cayenne, and stir well to coat each grain with oil. Toast for a full 5 min., stirring regularly to keep the grains separated and to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan (the rice may turn opaque before 5 min. is up, but keep going). Reduce the heat to low if there are any signs of scorching. Stir in 2 Tbs. of the parsley and the garlic. Fluff the pilaf by slipping the tines of a fork down into the rice alongside the edge of the pan and gently lift and toss the rice toward the center of the pan.

Add the saffron broth, stir once, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 18 min. Remove from the heat, and let the pilaf sit, still covered, for 5 min.

Once the pilaf has rested, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Using the fork, gently fold in the almonds, the remaining 2 Tbs. parsley, and the oregano. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!