Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/24/2011 2:01:46 AM

Hi Sara,

Thanks for stopping back by to visit. The fresh Herbs sound wonderful. I've never had very much luck growing my own herbs, but I've found several trustworthy spots from which to purchase them.

Since the temps are still hovering in the 90's around here, I'm keeping it light and sticking to Salads for most meals. This is an attractive and zesty all in one dish. It's full of veggies and chicken, and loaded with flavor. Add a lean protein and a homemade vinaigrette, and you've got a quick dinner that's healthy and tasty.

Chicken Fiesta Salad

Ingredients

• 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1 (1.27 ounce) packet dry fajita seasoning, divided
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 (11 ounce) can Mexican-style corn
  • 1/2 cup salsa
  • 1 (10 ounce) package mixed salad greens
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 tomato, cut into wedges

Directions

1. Rub chicken evenly with 1/2 the fajita seasoning. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the chicken 8 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear; set aside.
  2. In a large saucepan, mix beans, corn, salsa and other 1/2 of fajita seasoning. Heat over medium heat until warm.
  3. Prepare the salad by tossing the greens, onion and tomato. Top salad with chicken and dress with the bean and corn mixture.

Hope Your Week's Going Great,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/27/2011 9:26:41 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

Sara, here's where those fresh Herbs would work quite well. These boneless Chicken Breasts are first marinated in herbs, garlic, oil and vinegar and then broiled or grilled to perfection.

Grilled Chicken with Herbs

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
  • 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried sage
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts

Directions

1. In a blender combine the parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, garlic, oil, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Blend together. Place chicken in a nonporous glass dish or bowl and pour blended marinade over the chicken. Cover dish and refrigerate to marinate for at least 2 hours or up to 48 hours.
  2. Preheat grill to medium high heat OR set oven to broil.
  3. Remove chicken from dish (disposing of leftover marinade) and grill or broil for about 6 to 7 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.

You know that no meal's complete, for me at least, without something Green, so how about some Asparagus. The special thing about this recipe is that it's so simple. Fresh asparagus with a little oil, salt, and pepper is cooked quickly over high heat on the grill. Enjoy the natural flavor of your veggies. Both the Chicken & the Veggies will serve 6.

Grilled Asparagus

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions

Preheat grill for high heat. Lightly coat the asparagus spears with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes, or to desired tenderness.

Have A Delightful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/28/2011 12:57:11 AM
Hello Mr recipe man.

This chicken sounds really good. By the way finally made the egg and spinach omelet, very good. I will have it again, soon while I still have some of my spinach from my garden.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
6/28/2011 1:51:20 AM

Phil, I do love asparagus!!! This sounds very good. I am glad that I can grow the herbs in containers here. Finally the Black Swallowtails have laid eggs on the fennel, I have collected two so far, but I see a lot of eggs. I only use the root anyway so they are welcome.

Our peppers are not looking so good this year but maybe we will get some. Tomatoes have lots of green ones for now, hope they make it.

Thank you & Myrna for all the recipes and comments.

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/28/2011 7:34:12 PM

Hi Myrna & Sara,

Glad you're both enjoying the recipes. Sara, I'm growing a few Herbs Indoors with my two Aerogardens, but I still must purchase most of the Herbs I use. Fortunately, I just made a new Friend here at Adland by the name of Robert Clark, and he represents Watkins Products, so I will be getting many of my Spices & Seasonings through him. If you'd like a free Catalog and a few free samples, stop by his Website & sign his Guest Book. He's a really good Friend to have as well. Hope that both of you will stop by his Site and also will visit his Profile to invite him as a Friend.

Myrna, glad you enjoyed the Omelet. Here's another good idea for some of that fresh Spinach. The recipe for these spinach and feta appetizer triangles came from a very good Greek family friend. This recipe makes at least two dozen, however they may be frozen prior to baking and then baked as needed.

Spanakopita

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large onions, chopped
  • 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach - thawed, drained and squeezed dry
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 (4 ounce) packages feta cheese, crumbled
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 1/2 (16 ounce) packages phyllo dough
  • 3/4 pound butter, melted

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Slowly cook and stir onions until softened. Mix in spinach, dill and flour. Cook approximately 10 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Mix in feta cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
  3. Separate one sheet of phyllo from the stack and evenly brush with a light coating of butter. Place another sheet of phyllo over the butter and press the two sheets together. Cut the layered phyllo dough into long strips about 3 inches wide. Keep the remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap to keep it from drying out.
  4. Lay out one strip of phyllo at a time on your work surface with one of the narrow ends close to you. Place a heaping tablespoon of filling 1 inch from the end closest to you. Fold the bottom right corner over the filling to the left edge to form a triangle. Fold the triangle up, bringing the point at the bottom left up to rest along the left edge. Turn the lower left corner over to touch the right edge. Continue turning the triangle over in this manner until you reach the end of the phyllo. Repeat with the remaining filling and phyllo dough.
  5. Place filled phyllo dough triangles on a large baking sheet and brush with the remaining butter. Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Have A Blessed Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!