Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/29/2011 6:55:04 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since I've got berries on my mind and since I'm sure that most are planning on a Cookout sometime over the 4th of July Holiday, here's a Dessert that you all might like. This easy trifle is the perfect dessert for any backyard barbecue, whether you're serving chicken, burgers, or ribs. A mix of strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries make up this red-white-and-blue-striped creation. You can use any type of berry you like, just make sure you choose the ripest, tastiest ones available.

Summer Berry Trifle

Ingredients
1-1/2 quarts mixed fresh berries (hull and quarter strawberries), plus extra berries for garnish
3/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. granulated sugar
4 tsp. minced fresh ginger
1 lb. day-old French bread, crusts removed, crumb cut into 1/2 -inch cubes (5 to 6 cups)
1/2 cup Grand Marnier or Cointreau
1-1/2 cups heavy cream

Preparation

Heat the berries and 3/4 cup of the sugar in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until they start to release juice but are still whole and intact, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger and pour the mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet to cool.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the bread with 5 Tbs. of the liqueur. In a chilled metal bowl with chilled beaters, whip the cream with the remaining 3 Tbs. liqueur and 1 Tbs. sugar to almost-stiff peaks.

In a 2- to 2-1/2 -quart clear glass bowl, layer in the following order: 1 mounded cup of bread cubes, 1 cup of berries and juices, and 1 cup of whipped cream. Repeat 3 times—you should have 12 layers total. For the final layers, use all the remaining bread, berries (and their juices), and whipped cream.

Cover and refrigerate until the juice has completely softened the bread, at least 4 hours or overnight. Garnish with fresh berries before serving.

Have A Safe & Happy Independence Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2011 11:04:59 PM
Hi Phil,

I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at this one. It sure looks good.

Wishing you a

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
7/2/2011 5:18:10 AM
Quote:
Hi Phil,

I think I just gained 5 pounds looking at this one. It sure looks good.

Wishing you a

Hi Phil and Myrna!

Firstly, I thank you for inviting me to this "eye-feeding" place, yummmie :).
We in Serbia usually say for someone that has a bigger eyes than a digestive system - and I feel that way right now. Sweets are my forbidden fruits and something to what I really struggle to resist. I am not best in kitchen. Balkan still recognizes "male" and "female" jobs and chores ... and I ......... lol successfully and gladly support our tradition (not at any cost, but always when is possible).

I'd go back and read and enjoy.

Wishing HAPPY 4th JULY TO ALL AMERICAN FRIENDS!

Nice weekend to all!

Sergio

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/3/2011 3:26:26 AM

Hi Myrna & Sergio,

It's great to see you both here. Sergio, it's always especially pleasing to me when a new Member jumps right in and gets active from the start. Thanks for taking the time to visit my Forums and please come back often.

As far as the Male and Female roles, I understand what you mean, much of my Family honors those same traditions, however two of my favorite Restaurants of all times where I've enjoyed many meals are Emeril's Delmonico in New Orleans, LA, and Wolfgang Puck's Spagos out in Las Vegas, NV., both owned and operated by two marvelous Chefs who are definitely Male.

This Evening, we have an Adobo Steak for your grill at home. Chipotle chiles, cumin, and lime juice give Mexican flavor to marinated and grilled steak. Perfect for a backyard barbeque. We'll also add a little Key Lime Pie for Dessert.

Adobo Sirloin

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 lime, juiced
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 3 tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
  • adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers to taste
  • 6 (8 ounce) beef sirloin steaks
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a small bowl, mix the lime juice, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Stir in chipotle peppers, and season to taste with adobo sauce.
  2. Pierce the meat on both sides with a sharp knife, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place in a glass dish. Pour lime and chipotle sauce over meat, and turn to coat. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
  3. Preheat grill for high heat.
  4. Lightly brush grill grate with oil. Place steaks on the grill, and discard marinade. Grill steaks for 6 minutes per side, or to desired doneness. Serves 6.

This recipe uses condensed milk and sour cream. Fabulously easy, a real summertime favorite! If you have time, a homemade graham cracker crust is better. Garnish with whipped cream and thin slices of lime if you like.

Key Lime Pie

Ingredients

• 1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
  • 3 cups sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup key lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon grated lime zest

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.

Hope Your Weekend's Wonderful,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/4/2011 9:52:45 PM

Hello My Friends,

Have time to enjoy the 4th with along your family and still enjoy some really great food as well. Cooking outdoors is a great way to make dinner when time is tight. While the grill is heating up, you can quickly simmer the sauce. To prevent the sauce from burning while grilling, only brush it on during the last few minutes.

Quick Barbecued Chicken Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
  • 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
  • Dash liquid smoke, optional
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil

Directions

• In a large saucepan, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, onion, celery seed, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper flakes and liquid smoke if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until thickened.
  • Meanwhile, rub chicken with oil and sprinkle with remaining salt. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes on each side.
  • Set aside 1/2 cup barbecue sauce for serving. Brush half of the remaining sauce over chicken. Grill, covered, 7-12 minutes longer or until a meat thermometer reads 160°, turning and basting occasionally with sauce. Serve with reserved sauce and the Grilled Vegetable Medley that follows. Serves 4.

This side dish is my favorite way to fix summer vegetables. Cleanup is a breeze, because it cooks in foil. It goes from garden to table in under an hour and it makes a great accompaniment to either grilled steak or chicken.

Grilled Vegetable Medley

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 3 large ears fresh corn on the cob, cut into 3-inch pieces
  • 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
  • 1 large green pepper, diced
  • 10 cherry tomatoes
  • 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed

Directions

• In a large bowl, combine the oil, salt, parsley and basil. Add vegetables and toss to coat. Place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 28 in. x 18 in.). Dot with butter. Fold foil around vegetables and seal tightly.
  • Grill, covered, over medium heat for 10-13 minutes on each side or until corn is tender.

Have A Family-Fun Filled Fourth,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!