Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/28/2011 8:35:56 PM

Phil, those would make a great lunch!! Just take out of freezer and heat them up. I wish I could grow Spinach here as Myrna does but have not been able to so far.

My Stepson has one of those gardens he uses to grow herbs. He was saying it is hard to grow them from seed though. So it is at the greenhouse where Gus works. My Sweet Basil never did come up this year and I planted several packs.

Speaking of buying from our members. I am sure I made friends with "The Watkins Man" also!! Those are great products!!

I have to order some seed from our Garden Man of which I cannot remember right now (Dave, I think). They have a good business and are prompt on delivery.

Have a good one friend,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/28/2011 10:35:15 PM

Hi Sara,

Pretty good memory my Friend. The Seed Man's name is David Moffitt. Here's his Link...

DollarSeed.com

Speaking of wonderful Frozen Treats, here's a little Strawberry Treat for our Friend Roger from my Weight Watcher's files. The perfect Homemade Ice Pop Recipe that not only tastes delicious, it has just 1 Points + without using any artificial sweeteners. This recipe is super easy and the end result is a delicious frozen treat that is mostly real fruit. They are much healthier for you than all the pre-made ones at the grocery store which are loaded with a bunch of artificial colors and flavors. This quick and easy strawberry popsicle recipe is a great healthy snack idea for the whole family. I still have some Popsicle Mold from Tupperware, but Walmart and KMart sell them as well.

Homemade Strawberry Popsicle Treats

Ingredients

• 2 cups fresh strawberries
  • 1/4 cup frozen white grape juice concentrate, thawed
  • 2 tbp sugar
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • 3 tbsp water

Instructions

1. Combine strawberries, white grape concentrate, sugar, lemon juice and water in a blender and process until smooth.
  2. Pour the mixture into 8 individual popsicle molds. Freeze until completely firm.

Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 2oz popsicle
Each serving = 1 Points + with just 36 calories each

Have A Great Tuesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/28/2011 11:11:09 PM
Hi Phil,

Wow do these look good. Another recipe to fill away for later

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2011 7:46:06 AM

Excellent Phil.

We still have lots of strawberries.

All of the supermarkets have half-price or two for one offers.

Will give the popsicles a shot. Especially as we had 90 degrees the other day.

Roger

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2011 6:26:39 PM

Hi Roger,

So glad you stopped by and I hope that you all like the Popsicles. Seems that the 90 degree Temps are quite popular on both sides of the Pond this year, so here's a light meal idea for a hot Summer evening. In this classic Italian salad, the sourdough bread soaks up the flavors of the fresh herbs, ripe tomatoes, and a savory vinaigrette. Adding grilled chicken turns it into a full meal. In keeping with the "cool" theme, finish off your meal with a creamy Blackberry Fool for dessert.

Sourdough Panzanella with Grilled Chicken

Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil; more for the grill
4 3/4 inch-thick slices sourdough bread
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano
1/2 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed
3 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1 anchovy fillet, rinsed
1 small clove garlic
4 medium tomatoes, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (3 cups)
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 3/4 inch pieces (1-1/2 cups)
1/2 small red onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh mixed herbs,such as basil, parsley, cilantro, or mint

Tip: For balanced texture, be sure to slice the tomatoes, cucumbers, chicken, and bread about the same size.

Preparation

Prepare a medium-high charcoal or gas grill fire. Clean and oil the grill grate.

Brush the bread on both sides with 2 Tbs. of the olive oil. Grill the bread until well marked, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to a cutting board, cut into 3/4-inch cubes, and set aside.

In a small bowl, mix the oregano, smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Sprinkle evenly over the chicken breasts. Grill, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of each breast registers 165°F, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes, and then cut into 3/4-inch cubes.

In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 6 Tbs. olive oil and the vinegar. Press the anchovy fillet and garlic clove through a garlic press into the bowl (or mince by hand). Add the bread, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and herbs, and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve

A fool is a simple dessert made with puréed fruit and sweetened whipped cream. Here, a chipotle chile adds a subtle spicy note that enhances the sweetness of the berries.

Blackberry Fool

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups fresh blackberries
1 chipotle chile (from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce), stemmed
3 Tbs. light brown sugar
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1 cup heavy cream
1-1/2 Tbs. confectioners’ sugar
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Preparation

Set a medium-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. Use the back of a wooden spoon to push 1 cup of the blackberries and the chipotle through the sieve, smearing the berries and chile back and forth across the mesh until only seeds and pulp remain. Scrape any purée from the bottom of the sieve. Stir the brown sugar and lime juice into the purée.

In a chilled medium metal bowl, combine the cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla and beat with an electric hand mixer on high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.

Pour the blackberry mixture over the cream. Use a butter knife to gently stir the mixture so that thin streaks of dark purple run through the cream.

Spoon the mixture into 4 glasses or small dessert bowls and top with the remaining blackberries.

Have A Great Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!