Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/21/2011 7:14:14 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

Today, we're also going to share a little Vegetarian Breakfast treat that I absolutely love. Tender baby spinach, Parmesan cheese, and a little nutmeg are cooked with eggs. A perfect start for the day, as well as a Carb Cutters dream.

Baby Spinach Omelet

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 1 cup torn baby spinach leaves
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. In a bowl, beat the eggs, and stir in the baby spinach and Parmesan cheese. Season with onion powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
  2. In a small skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat, cook the egg mixture about 3 minutes, until partially set. Flip with a spatula, and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes, or to desired doneness. Serves 1.

I generally use Morningstar Veggie "Bacon" or "Sausages", however, if you are feeling creative, here's one of my favorite meatless Sausage recipes you might like to try.

BULGHUR WHEAT "SAUSAGE" PATTIES

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 cups Cooked Bulghur Wheat
  • 1/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
  • 1 tablespoon Crushed basil leaves
  • 1 Egg
  • 3/4 teaspoon Sage
  • 3/4 teaspoon Poultry seasoning
  • Sea salt to taste (optional)
  • Oil or non-stick spray

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix the bulghur wheat, egg, whole wheat flour, basil, sage, poultry seasoning and salt together.
  2. Form into patties and roll in whole wheat flour.
  3. Fry in a small amount of oil until lightly browned. These may be wrapped in individual packages and reheated.
  4. Cook like hamburger meat or add to casseroles in place of meat. Serves 8.

NOTES:
1) 3/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese can be added.
2) Mixture forms better when slightly chilled

Variation: Form into cocktail size balls, before cooking and serve with sweet and sour sauce.

Happy Tuesday My Friends,,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/21/2011 8:41:15 PM
Hi Phil,

Wow that looks so good. Thank you. I tried the black been Lasagna, it is great, see I can be a vegetarian too. Next I want to try the Black bean burgers.

Yummy for the egg omelet, will try this on Thursday. looking forward to this one.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/22/2011 6:10:18 PM

Hi Myrna,

So good to see you again my Friend. I don't often do this, but I will guarantee that you'll love the Omelet. Hope you'll let me know.

Today we not only are cooking healthy, it's quick and easy as well. Searing tuna steaks is lightning-fast; they cook to medium-rare in less than five minutes, and this zesty tomato-olive salad takes only a few minutes more. Serve with a Warm Couscous and Grilled Zucchini Salad that follows, for a complete meal.

Pan-Seared Tuna Steaks with Warm Tomato, Basil, and Olive Salad

Ingredients
4 5-oz. boneless, skinless tuna steaks
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium shallot, finely chopped
2 cups mixed yellow and red grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup sliced pitted green olives, such as picholine or Cerignola
2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh basil
1/2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
Preparation

Season the tuna with 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange the tuna in the skillet in a single layer and cook, turning once, until done to your liking (3 to 4 minutes for medium rare). Transfer the tuna to a large plate.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the shallot to the skillet. Cook, stirring, until golden-brown, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, olives, basil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of pepper; cook until warmed through and the tomatoes are just softened, about 2 minutes more. Remove the skillet from the heat and gently stir in the lemon juice.

Transfer the tuna to plates, top with the tomato salad, and serve. Serves 4.

Warm Couscous & Grilled Zucchini Salad

begin ad tag
Ingredients
3 small or 2 medium zucchini (about 1 lb. )
Kosher salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch cayenne
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large red onion, sliced into 1/3-inch-thick rounds
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
7-1/2 oz. couscous (1-1/4 cups)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbs. finely grated orange zest
2 Tbs. fresh orange juice; more to taste
Preparation
Wash the zucchini well to remove any grit and dry them with paper towels. Trim off the ends and quarter the zucchini lengthwise. Slice off the top 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the soft seed core by running a sharp knife down the length of each quarter; it’s all right if some of the seeds remain. Arrange the zucchini, cut side up, on a baking sheet lined with paper towels. Sprinkle with kosher salt (about 1/2 tsp.) and set aside for 10 minutes. Blot the quarters dry with the paper towels.

Heat a gas grill to medium high or prepare a medium-hot charcoal fire. In a small bowl, mix the cumin, brown sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a medium bowl, gently toss the zucchini quarters with 1 Tbs. olive oil and the spice mix. Let sit for 10 minutes. Thread each onion slice onto two thin skewers (to hold the concentric rings together), brush both sides with 1 Tbs. of the olive oil, and sprinkle with a little salt.

Meanwhile, bring 1-1/2 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in the couscous, 2 Tbs. of the olive oil, and 3/4 tsp. salt. Cover, remove from the heat, and set aside.

Set the zucchini cut side down on the grill and cook (if using a gas grill, keep the lid closed), flipping occasionally, until it's browned and softened but not mushy, 6 to 8 minutes. Return the zucchini to its original bowl and toss to pick up any spices clinging to it. Reduce the heat to medium (if using a charcoal grill, put on the lid and partially close air vents). Grill the onions until soft and slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes. Coarsely chop the zucchini and onions and stir them into the couscous, along with the cilantro, orange zest, and orange juice. Taste for salt and pepper; add a little more orange juice to taste. Serve immediately. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/22/2011 7:38:38 PM

Hello Friends,

Today's Vegetarian Dish comes from my Weight Watcher's Files. If you're craving a good, low calorie Middle Eastern recipe, this healthy spin on a traditional couscous tabbouleh salad will have you jumping for joy. With just 4 WWPoints + per serving, this vegan side dish recipe goes great with a variety of meals, but won't use pack on the calories.

Couscous and Garbanzo Bean Tabbouleh Recipe

Ingredients

• 1 cup whole wheat couscous
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • juice and zest from 1/2 a large lemon

Instructions

1. Bring water to a boil, then pour in couscous. Stir, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
  2. In a large bowl, toss couscous, tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, and green onions.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Drizzle over couscous and toss to combine.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

+0
6/23/2011 1:35:22 PM

Phil, all these latest sound wonderful. I am with you Myrna on that omelet, that looks like something I could have for breakfast without anything else.

I like using all these fresh herbs and am glad to be able to have some of them close by. I have a healthy bunch of parsley that I really planted for my Black Swallowtails but so far no eggs on it. I also have common thyme, cinnamon basil, sage, dill, and fennel. The sweet basil I planted did not come up and I have always had good luck with that. Strange times for our plants.

Thank you Phil & Myrna, love to hear the comments and recipes.

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!