Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/15/2011 11:45:39 PM

Hi Myrna & Sara,

So glad that you're liking the Veggies. As you all know by now, I'm not a true Vegetarian, because I still eat Fish and occasionally a little Turkey and some "real" Chicken. However, since I've shied away from Red Meat I feel so much better, and my Cholesterol has stablized so that I no longer need that expensive medicine. I still eat eggs and a even eat little Bacon ever so often, I just no longer eat any red meat, so go figure! By the way Sara, that Salad sounds wonderful!

Looking to change up your beef burger routine right about now? Fresh salmon makes a great burger. You'll need to remove the salmon's pin bones with small tweezers or pliers, or ask your Grocer to remove the bones before you leave the market. Ripe tomato slices sprinkled with salt and pepper would be a colorful addition to these burgers.

Salmon Burgers with Herb Aïoli

Ingredints

2 small cloves garlic
Kosher salt
1 cup Light mayonnaise
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh chives
2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh dill
1-1/2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp. cayenne
Freshly ground black pepper
5 brioche or hamburger buns, 1 cut into large cubes, the other 4 split
1 lb. skinless salmon fillets, preferably wild, pin bones removed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
2 oz. (4 Tbs.) unsalted butter

Directions

Chop the garlic. Using the flat side of a chef’s knife, mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Transfer the garlic paste to a small bowl and stir in the mayonnaise, chives, dill, mustard, lemon juice, cayenne, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and salt to taste. Set the aïoli aside.

In a food processor, pulse the cubed bun into crumbs. Set aside 1/2 cup of the crumbs and save the rest for another use. Pulse the salmon until coarsely chopped, about 5 pulses. Transfer the salmon to a medium bowl and stir in 3/4 cup of the aïoli, the reserved breadcrumbs, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties.

Heat 2 Tbs. of the butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When melted and hot (but not smoking or brown), add the patties and cook until they are firm and each side is crisp and golden-brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, position a rack 6 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler on high. Melt the remaining 2 Tbs. butter in a microwave or on the stovetop. Brush it on the insides of the split buns. Put the buns on a baking sheet, butter side up, and toast under the broiler until light goldenbrown, 1 to 2 minutes.

Serve the burgers on the buns, spread with the remaining aïoli. Serves 4.

For this side salad, the versatile chickpea goes exotic in a deeply spiced, aromatic lemon and cumin dressing. Fresh herbs punch it up with an unmistakable freshness, and spinach provides a tender bed. An orange-infused yogurt topping creates a cool, creamy contrast. Great as a side salad with any grilled meat, I also often use it as my Vegetarian Entrée.

Chickpea and Spinach Salad

Ingredients
One 15.5-oz. cans chickpeas, preferably low-sodium, drained and rinsed
2 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup diced red onion
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 Tbs. plain nonfat yogurt
1 Tbs. orange juice
1/4 tsp. finely grated orange zest
1/4 tsp. honey
2 oz. baby spinach leaves (about 2 cups lightly packed)
1 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh mint

Directions

In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, parsley, and onion. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice and zest, cumin, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Pour the dressing over the chickpea mixture and toss to coat evenly. In another small bowl, stir together the yogurt, orange juice and zest, and honey.

Serve the chickpea salad over a bed of spinach leaves. Top with the yogurt sauce and garnish with the mint. Serves 4.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/15/2011 11:58:40 PM

Hello Friends,

Since you both mentioned liking the Black Beans, here's one more favorite of mine. Might not be for everyone, because my family says that this one is definitely an "acquired" taste, they won't touch it in other words. The sweet potatoes in this soup contrast nicely with the tang of the yogurt and the tartness of the lime. Aniseed lends just a hint of licorice flavor, which I enjoy.

Black Bean Soup with Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
3 medium cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1-1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. aniseed
Freshly ground black pepper
2 quarts lower-salt chicken broth or homemade vegetable broth
Four 15.5-oz. or two 29-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium dice
Kosher salt
1/2 cup plain yogurt
8 paper-thin lime slices

Directions

Heat the oil over medium heat in a 6-quart (or larger) Dutch oven. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften and brown slightly, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, coriander, cumin, aniseed, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the broth, beans, sweet potatoes, and 3/4 tsp. salt and bring to a boil over high heat; skim any foam as necessary. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.

Using a slotted spoon, set aside 3 cups of the beans and potatoes. Puree the remaining soup in batches in a blender. Return the solids to the soup and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve topped with a dollop of the yogurt and a lime slice.

Serves 8, or you can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Have A Wonderful Wednesday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2011 2:17:58 AM

Hello My Friends,

A while back, Cheryl had mentioned Barbecue recipes for the Grill. I'm still trying to figure out how much to share on Barbecued Pork, since this can be complicated, at least here in NC. Meanwhile, here's some delicious Barbecued Chicken and a little Grilled Corn on the Cob. Both are prepared to serve 6 guests.

This Chicken is grilled with a not-too-sweet, not-too-tangy barbecue sauce that everyone loves. Finishes in almost a glaze and it's also great on pork chops or ribs.

Favorite Barbecue Chicken

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup and 3 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Directions

Preheat grill for medium-high heat.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until tender. Stir in ketchup, honey, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook for a few minutes to thicken sauce. Remove from heat, and allow to cool.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Dip chicken in sauce, and turn to coat. Cook on grill for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once. Move chicken to the skillet with sauce. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes on each side.

This is an easy method for grilling corn on the cob. The corn will be very tasty and tender.

Grilled Corn on the Cob

Ingredients

• 6 ears corn
  • 6 tablespoons butter, softened
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate.
  2. Peel back corn husks and remove silk. Place 1 tablespoon butter, salt and pepper on each piece of corn. Close husks.
  3. Wrap each ear of corn tightly in aluminum foil. Place on the prepared grill. Cook approximately 30 minutes, turning occasionally, until corn is tender.

Enjoy Your Weekend Friends,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2011 3:34:48 AM

Hello Again My Friends,

I have two different veggie burger recipes and I've found that by mixing them into one, I can create the ultimate veggie bean burger. This veggie bean burger has the best of everything - black beans, brown rice, cheese, mushrooms, and a great mix of seasonings. My meat-and-potatoes eating family absolutely loves these and I think that they would eat them every week.

Best of Everything Veggie Burgers

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 green bell pepper, halved and seeded
  • 1 onion, quartered
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 6 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon garlic salt
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, or as needed

Directions

1. Bring the brown rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed, 45 to 50 minutes.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. Lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. Mash black beans in a large bowl with a fork until thick and pasty; set aside.
  3. Place the bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and garlic in the bowl of a food processor, and chop finely. Stir the bell pepper mixture into the mashed black beans. Place the brown rice and mozzarella cheese in the food processor, and process until combined. Stir the mixture into the black beans.
  4. Whisk together the eggs, chili powder, cumin, garlic salt, and hot sauce. Stir the egg mixture into the black bean mixture. Stir in the bread crumbs, adding additional bread crumbs as needed until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide into 6 large patties.
  5. Place patties onto the prepared foil, and grill until browned and heated through, about 8 minutes per side. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Evening,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2011 11:54:45 AM

Hello Friends,

While we're outside enjoying the Beautiful weather, here's a couple of light Salads, one with meat and one without, and either can be used either as a meal or a side dish.

First, the ideal outdoor meal, this colorful main-course pasta salad chock-full of protein, vegetables and bold flavorings. For fresh flavor and peak texture, toss the salad right before serving. Pack the dressing in a jar and the salad ingredients in a gallon-sized zipper bag. When ready to serve, drizzle on the dressing, close the bag and squeeze it all over until the dressing completely coats the salad. Pour into a serving bowl. Serves 6.

Greek Pasta Salad with Shrimp, Tomatoes, Zucchini, Peppers, and Feta

Ingredients

• Dijon Vinaigrette
  • 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • Big pinch of salt
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • Pasta Salad
  • 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
  • 1 medium yellow pepper, halved lengthwise, seeded
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Ground black pepper and salt, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons salt for pasta water
  • 1 pound medium pasta shells
  • 1 pound cooked shrimp, halved lengthwise
  • 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3/4 cup coarsely chopped, pitted Kalamata olives
  • 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 1/2 small red onion, cut into small dice
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano

Directions

1. To make the vinaigrette, whisk together the first five ingredients, then slowly whisk in the oil for a thick consistency. Pour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid to transport it to the picnic.
  2. Adjust oven rack to highest position and turn broiler on high. Toss zucchini and bell pepper with olive oil, salt and pepper, and arrange on a large baking sheet with sides. Broil eight to 10 minutes, until spotty brown, turning zucchini slices and pepper halves once. Set aside in a large bowl to cool, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
  3. Bring 1 gallon of water and 2 Tbs. of salt to boil. Add pasta; boil using package times, until just tender. Drain thoroughly (do not rinse) and dump onto the baking sheet. Set aside to cool.
  4. Put vegetables, pasta and remaining ingredients (except dressing) in the bowl or a gallon-sized zipper bag (can be refrigerated for several hours). To serve, add dressing; toss to coat.

This pasta salad is wonderful served at room temperature indoors or out, along with some French bread and perhaps a small green salad on the side. Serves 6.

Greek Pasta Salad with Roasted Vegetables and Feta

Ingredients

• 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 medium eggplant, cubed
  • 3 small yellow squash, cut in 1/4 inch slices
  • 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup torn arugula leaves
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
  • 1 (12 ounce) package farfalle pasta

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl toss the red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, eggplant, and squash with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Arrange on the prepared cookie sheet.
  3. Bake vegetables 25 minutes in the preheated oven, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned.
  4. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook pasta 10 to 12 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
  5. Drain the softened sun-dried tomatoes and reserve the water. In a large bowl, toss together the roasted vegetables, cooked pasta, sun-drained tomatoes, arugula, and basil. Mix in remaining olive oil, reserved water from tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and feta cheese; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, or refrigerate until chilled.

Have A Bright & Beautiful Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!