Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/9/2011 6:30:53 PM

Hello Again My Friends,

For a delightful Vegetarian alternative, we have a little Rotini pasta, that's first tossed with tomatoes, kalamata olives, peppers, topped with cheese, and then baked until golden brown and bubbly.

Kalamata Olive, Tomato, and Cheese Melt

Ingredients

• 1 (16 ounce) package rotini pasta
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 20 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
  • 2/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
  • 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
  2. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute onion, jalapeno, and green bell pepper until onions are soft and translucent. Stir in tomatoes, wine, and kalamata olives. Simmer 15 minutes. Toss pasta with sauce until evenly coated. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with feta cheese and Cheddar cheese.
  3. Bake 5 minutes in the preheated oven. Set oven to broiler setting. Broil for 5 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and bubbly.

Have A Terrific Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
6/9/2011 6:55:24 PM

Sounds wonderful Phil - would you cook it and send over to Cedar Hill?? The cook here has about retired!!

It is a good feeling now that I am not on a schedule anymore but wow, it takes some adjusting!! Gus rented a house in town, very nice one also and has moved most of his things. I miss him being here terribly but I know it is so much better for him. He is also a good cook and loves getting back into it.

Well, enough of ramblin' - I am happy you keep giving us these great recipes. I am sure people read, copy but just no time to comment.

Hugs,

Sara

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2011 1:19:38 AM
Hi Phil,

Well you are starting great for a vegetarian dish. It sure does look good enough to eat. Yes, I will have to try it.

I found this in a magazine yesterday It sounded really good

Zucchini and Egg Sandwiches
Seed and chop 1 tomato; drain on paper towels. Beat 8 eggs and 14 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 2 Tbs. chopped parsley. Cut 2 zucchini (about 1lb.) diagonally, into 14"think slices. Toss with 1tsp pepper and 1/4tsp salt. In large skillet, heat 1Tbs oil over medium-high heat. Add single layer of zucchini slices. Cook in batches, turning once until tender, about 2 minutes per side; transfer to plate. In skillet heat 1Tbs oil over medium heat. Add egg mixture. Cook, stirring, until cooked through, about 2 minutes, adding zucchini during last 30 seconds to heat through. Stir in tomato. Divide among 4 toasted 8" long hoagie rolls.

Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2011 12:39:12 PM

Hi Sara & Myrna,

So good of you both to stop by and visit. I appreciate your support and I hope that everyone is getting a few good ideas that they can use at home. Sara, I loved the picture of Gus and your new Granddoggie over at FB. Looks like they are having fun! Myrna, the Zucchini and Eggs sandwiches sounds interesting. Never have thought of trying them together. I assume that's 1/4 Cup of Grated Parmesan, instead of 14 Cups. That a lotta Cheese! I'll try them this weekend and let you know what I think. Thanks my Friend.

You all know that I like to have Seafood on Fridays, however, I also like to Grill whenever the weather is nice, so here's a little combination of both, with some Asparagus thrown in as a bonus. By combining beef tenderloin, crabmeat and fresh asparagus, you can prepare an elegant meal in no time at all.

Asparagus Steak Oscar

Ingredients

• 1 envelope bearnaise sauce
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
  • 1/4 pound fresh crabmeat
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 4 beef tenderloin steaks (1 inch thick and 3-4 ounces each)
  • 1/8 teaspoon paprika

Directions

• Prepare bearnaise sauce according to package directions. Meanwhile, place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender.
  • In a large skillet, saute crab in butter for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in lemon juice; keep warm.
  • Grill steaks, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Top with crab mixture, asparagus and bearnaise sauce. Sprinkle with paprika. Serves 4.

Happy Friday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2011 12:47:55 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since we're Grilling out this evening, and since I'd promised to share a few of my Vegetarian favorites with you all this week, why not try a Vegetarian's Delight and prepare a few Grilled Veggies as well. Brightly colored and packed with flavor, these no-fuss veggies are perfect for entertaining or even as a light snack. Grilling brings out their natural sweetness while the seasoning kicks them up a notch.

Grilled Vegetable Platter

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, divided
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
  • 3 small carrots, cut in half lengthwise
  • 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch strips
  • 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 1 medium red onion, cut into four wedges
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • Dash salt

Directions

• In a small bowl, combine the oil, honey, 1 tablespoon vinegar, oregano and garlic powder. Pour 3 tablespoons marinade into a large resealable plastic bag; add the vegetables. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 1-1/2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining marinade.
  • Place vegetables on a grilling grid. Transfer to grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender.
  • Transfer to a large serving platter. Combine reserved marinade and remaining vinegar; drizzle over vegetables. Sprinkle with pepper and salt. Serves 6.

Note: If you do not have a grilling grid, use a disposable foil pan. Poke holes in the bottom of the pan with a meat fork to allow liquid to drain.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!