Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/6/2011 7:59:01 AM
Quote:

Hello My Friends,

A short while back, our Friend Roger was looking for recipes to make use of the overabundance of Strawberries he had available, especially ones of Frozen Concoctions if possible. My Sister-in-Law also shared a Strawberry Recipe with me this weekend that I thought that you all might like.

Strawberry Shortcake Baked Alaska

What You Need

4 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
1/3 cup milk
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar

Make It

SPOON ice cream into foil-lined 1-1/2-qt. bowl; pack firmly into bowl with back of spoon. Freeze 6 hours or overnight.

HEAT oven to 425ºF. Mix flour, 3 Tbsp. sugar and baking powder in medium bowl. Cut in cream cheese with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until mixture forms dough. Pat dough onto bottom of 8-inch round pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 12 to 13 min. or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, toss strawberries with 1 Tbsp. sugar.

COOL cake 10 min.; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.

HEAT oven to 500ºF. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with mixer on high speed 1 min. or until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating 3 min. or until stiff peaks form.

PLACE cake on ovenproof plate; top with strawberries and juice. Unmold ice cream; place, flat-side down, over cake. Frost ice cream with meringue; swirl with back of large spoon. Bake on lowest oven rack 3 min. or until meringue is golden brown. Serve immediately.

Yummy,

Thank you Phil.

We will try that.

Yep, still loads of stawberries.

We actually got the first real rain for two months.

Roger

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/7/2011 9:28:37 PM

Hello Myrna & Roger,

I'm glad that you both liked the Strawberry Shortcake Baked Alaska. Believe me, it tastes as good as it looks. I substituted Frozen Strawberry Yogurt for the Ice Cream and it still was delicious.

This Chicken dish is fabulous hot or cold. I always make a big batch so there are leftovers, which make some tasty quesadillas. I move my oven rack to a lower setting to keep the chicken moist, and even then it barely takes 30 minutes before it's done.

Orange Rosemary Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups orange juice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 (2.5 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces

Directions

1. In a medium bowl, mix the orange juice, olive oil, chives, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Place the chicken in the mixture. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours.
  2. Preheat the oven broiler.
  3. Remove the chicken from the marinade, and shake off excess. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes; set aside.
  4. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet. Broil 30 minutes in the preheated oven, 6 to 8 inches from heat. Turn and brush frequently with the remaining marinade mixture, until no longer pink and juices run clear. Serves 8.

To add a little something Green, this is my interpretation of the green beans from my favorite Japanese restaurant. You can omit the miso paste like I do, if you choose.

Quick Sesame Green Beans

Ingredients

• 3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
  • 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons miso paste
  • 3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger root
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
  • Directions

1. Place the green beans into a steamer insert and set in a pot over one inch of water. Bring to a boil, cover and steam for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer beans to a serving bowl.
    2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, miso paste, red pepper flakes, garlic and ginger. Pour over the green beans and toss to coat. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top. Seres 6.

Note: To toast sesame seeds. Heat a dry skillet over medium heat. Add sesame seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly toasted.

Finish off your meal with some fragrant Basmati Rice sauteed with carrots, onions, fresh ginger, peanuts, and cilantro. You will be pleasantly surprised when you taste this delicious rice.

Carrot Rice

Ingredients

• 1 cup basmati rice
    • 2 cups water
    • 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
    • 1 tablespoon margarine
    • 1 onion, sliced
    • 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger root
    • 3/4 cup grated carrots
    • salt to taste
    • cayenne pepper to taste
    • chopped fresh cilantro

Directions

1. Combine rice and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid, and allow to steam until tender, about 20 minutes.
    2. While rice is cooking, grind peanuts in a blender and set aside. Heat the margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned golden brown about 10 minutes. Stir in ginger, carrots, and salt to taste. Reduce heat to low and cover to steam 5 minutes. Stir in cayenne pepper and peanuts. When rice is done, add it to skillet and stir gently to combine with other ingredients. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    6/7/2011 9:56:49 PM

Hello My Friends,

As promised, here's a little Vegetarian alternative that I enjoy quite often. Still playing around with the Carrot Rice, this is a wonderful alternative to Traditional Hamburgers. I only use organic ingredients, because there is a difference.

Carrot Rice Nut Burgers

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon uncooked brown rice
    • 1-3/4 cups and 1 tablespoon water
    • 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons toasted cashews
    • 5 ounces toasted unsalted sunflower seeds
    • 1/4 sweet onion, chopped
    • 1-3/4 carrots, chopped
    • 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    • salt to taste

Directions

1. In a large pot, bring the rice and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes.
    2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
    3. Using a food processor, grind the toasted cashews and sunflower seeds to a fine meal. Transfer to a large bowl. Pulse the onion and carrots in the food processor until finely shredded, and mix with the ground nuts. Place the cooked rice and olive oil in the food processor, and pulse until smooth. Mix into the bowl. Season with salt. Form the mixture into patties.
    4. Oil the grill grate. Grill the patties 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until nicely browned. Serves 6.

Then finish out the meal with some delicious oven baked potato wedges coated with seasoned bread crumbs.

Oven Baked Potato Wedges

Ingredients

• 2 teaspoons olive oil
    • 5 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
    • 1/2 cup melted butter
    • 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet with the olive oil.
    2. Brush potato wedges with butter, and roll in bread crumbs. Place wedges on prepared baking sheet.
    3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and turn wedges; cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until tender. Yields 5-6 Servings.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    6/7/2011 10:14:41 PM
    Hi Phil,

The last 2 post that you have made sounds good to me. I think it would be a good idea to have a vegetarian forum. I think it may go over a better then you might think. Can't do any more then try. I know a lot more people are using vegetarian then ever before. As good as these recipes sound I would be willing to try them too. When is dinner ready? lol

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
    +0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    6/9/2011 6:20:01 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by and Thanks for the Support.

Today, we'll have some Chicken that has been simmered with wine, chicken broth, olives, tomatoes, and just a smattering of herbs and spices and we'll serve it along with a little Saffron Rice and some Delicious Broccoli.

Olive Chicken

Ingredients

• 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    • salt to taste
    • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    • 3 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 3/4 bay leaf
    • 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    • 3 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
    • 15 pimento-stuffed green olives
    • 3/4 cup and 3 tablespoons dry white wine
    • 3/4 cup and 3 tablespoons chicken broth

Directions

1. Season chicken with salt. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat; brown chicken in oil, about 5 minutes each side. Add garlic, bay leaf, thyme and pepper and mix well, then stir in tomatoes, olives, wine and broth.
    2. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear. Remove garlic and bay leaf and serve. Seves 6.

I made this for the first time just the other day. It was easy and tasted great, and best of all, I had no leftovers. I will definitely make this again.

Tangy Broccoli

Ingredients

• 1-1/2 large heads broccoli, cut into florets
    • 3 tablespoons prepared Dijon-style mustard
    • 6 ounces process cheese food

Directions

1. Steam broccoli until tender-crisp.
    2. Toss broccoli with mustard, then melt the cheese over the broccoli in a microwave for 1 minute on HIGH. Stir and serve.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!