Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/5/2011 12:54:30 AM

Hi Cheryl & Myrna,

See what happens. I stay away for a little while and two of my favorite Ladies drop by for a visit at the same time.

Glad you like the Chicken Salad recipes Cheryl. I've discovered a whole box full of good, healthy recipes since the Doc diagnosed my Diabetes. I'll keep sharing for as long as someone can use them. As for the BBQ, Barbecue, or as it's sometimes called around these parts, just plain "Q", I've got books and books of Barbecue Recipes, for everything from Beef to Pork to Chicken, but as they said in one of my favorite movies "Fried Green Tomatoes", 'The Secret's in the Sauce'. Let me get a couple of things together and see what we can do for y'all.

Of course, fer a taste of the "real thang", y'all need to plan to drap by just a few miles from my Homeplace here in T'ville, NC, to Lexington, NC, the "Barbecue Capital of the World" fer the Lexington Barbecue Festival in October, 2011. We'd love to have y'all come on by and sit a spell and share a little Pig we us! There's be some Fine Swine Wine as well from Childress Vineyards, as in Richard Childress' Racing.

Myrna, love the Strawberry Tart. My Nephews and Nieces are all gonna start calling you Aunt Myrna pretty soon, 'cause they get to sample all of these goodies that I'm fixing and can't eat myself. I can eat the fresh Strawberries while I'm making the Tart, so I'll still enjoy it. Thanks so much my Friend.

Well all of this talk about food is making me hungry, so I started wondering what we're having for Sunday Dinner tomorrow. Here's a delicious, and yet remarkably easy, way to bake Pork Chops that even your kids will love.

Brown Sugar Chops

Ingredients

• 8 pork chops
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (Splenda Brown Sugar blend works quite well)
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon low-sodium soy sauce

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Place the chops in a 9x13 inch baking pan. Place 1 tablespoon of brown sugar on top of every chop. Place 1 tablespoon of margarine on top of the brown sugar. Sprinkle chops with soy sauce.
  3. Cover pan with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until browned. Serves 8.

These red-skinned mashed potatoes are just the creamiest. They are always a big hit with company, but, just a warning they are quite addictive.

Red Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 16 medium red potatoes, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
  • 1 cup butter or margarine
  • 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon steak seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions

1. Place the potatoes into a large pot, and fill with enough water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon of the crushed garlic to the water for flavor. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
  2. Drain the potatoes, and add the butter. Mash until the butter is melted. Mix in the half-and-half, sugar, steak seasoning, garlic powder and remaining garlic. Mix potatoes with an electric mixer until smooth. Serves 8.

My family and I eat this quick veggie side dish at least once a week. We enjoy it with just about any main course. It's a light and easy way to get extra vegetables into your diet.

Baby Carrots 'n' Broccoli

Ingredients

• 3 cups fresh baby carrots
  • 8 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons Nature's Seasoning Blend*
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil; add carrots. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; drain and pat dry.
  2. In an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan, combine the carrots with remaining ingredients. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 7-9 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring once. Sereves 8.

Have A Blessed Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
6/5/2011 3:22:07 AM

Thank you Phil and friends for all these great recipes!!! We are having Chicken n Dumplings tonight. I have developed my own receipe now.

Look forward to Sunday dinner when Gus will eat with us and I will get to babysit with my new granddoggie!!!!

A wonderful night and morning to all!!!

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/5/2011 11:07:30 PM

Hi Sara,

Thank You for stopping by my Friend. Those Chicken 'n Dumplings sound good right about now. Of course, I love Chicken 'n Dumplings just about any old time.

As you know, I had Pork Chops for Dinner today and it looks like it's gonna be Pork Chops again next weekend. My Sister-in-Law gave me a new recipe to try today and I know what I'll be grilling nest Saturday night. If you like flavorful pork chops on the grill, then this one just may be for you as well.

Bada Bing Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 1 cup Italian-style salad dressing
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • 6 bone-in pork chops

Directions

1. Mix together the Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, applesauce, hot pepper sauce, and lime juice in a bowl. Pour the marinade over the pork chops, and refrigerate in marinade for 6 hours or overnight.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat, and lightly oil the grate.
  3. Remove the chops from the marinade, and pour marinade into a saucepan. Bring the marinade to a boil over medium heat, and allow to boil for about 1 minute. Place the pork chops onto the preheated grill, and grill until well browned and no longer pink in the middle, about 6 minutes per side, basting the chops occasionally with the marinade. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Allow the marinade baste to cook completely onto the chops. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/6/2011 1:16:40 AM

Hello My Friends,

A short while back, our Friend Roger was looking for recipes to make use of the overabundance of Strawberries he had available, especially ones of Frozen Concoctions if possible. My Sister-in-Law also shared a Strawberry Recipe with me this weekend that I thought that you all might like.

Strawberry Shortcake Baked Alaska

What You Need

4 cups strawberry ice cream, softened
1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar, divided
2 tsp. CALUMET Baking Powder
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
1/3 cup milk
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar

Make It

SPOON ice cream into foil-lined 1-1/2-qt. bowl; pack firmly into bowl with back of spoon. Freeze 6 hours or overnight.

HEAT oven to 425ºF. Mix flour, 3 Tbsp. sugar and baking powder in medium bowl. Cut in cream cheese with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until mixture forms dough. Pat dough onto bottom of 8-inch round pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 12 to 13 min. or until lightly browned. Meanwhile, toss strawberries with 1 Tbsp. sugar.

COOL cake 10 min.; remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely.

HEAT oven to 500ºF. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar with mixer on high speed 1 min. or until foamy. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating 3 min. or until stiff peaks form.

PLACE cake on ovenproof plate; top with strawberries and juice. Unmold ice cream; place, flat-side down, over cake. Frost ice cream with meringue; swirl with back of large spoon. Bake on lowest oven rack 3 min. or until meringue is golden brown. Serve immediately.

Have A Happy Week My Friends,

Phil

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/6/2011 3:07:23 AM
Oh Phil,

This looks so yummy, can almost taste it.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!