Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Papas Kitchen
6/2/2011 6:11:12 PM
Hello Pat & Friends,
Sorry about the rainy weather, however, I hope that you also took note of my Memorial Day recipes for the Crockpot, over at my other Recipe Thread. Either way, after all of that food over the Memorial Day Holiday, Salads once again seem to be in order. However, Salads don't have to be just boring Lettuce and Tomato, as long as you're willing to let your creative juices flow.
For example, you can spice up your life just a bit when you add some sizzle to that dinner salad with a little chicken hot off the grill and a peppy fruit salsa.
Apricot Salsa Grilled Chicken Salad
Ingredients
Salsa
2/3
cup orange juice
1/2
cup chopped dried apricots
tablespoons apricot preserves
tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
3/4
cup chopped red bell pepper
tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
tablespoons sliced green onions
teaspoon grated orange peel
Salad
boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lb)
tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1/2
teaspoon garlic salt
cups bite-size pieces mixed salad greens
Preparation
  1. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the orange juice; set aside. In 1-quart saucepan, heat apricots and remaining orange juice to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 3 to 5 minutes or until most of the orange juice is absorbed. Cool 15 minutes. In small bowl, mix reserved 2 tablespoons orange juice, the preserves and oil. Stir in apricot mixture and remaining salsa ingredients.
  2. Heat gas or charcoal grill. Brush chicken with oil; sprinkle with garlic salt. Place chicken on grill. Cover grill; cook over medium heat 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F). Cut chicken into 1/2-inch slices.
  3. Divide salad greens among 4 plates. Top with chicken and salsa. Serves 4.
Next, if you work that skillet with the chicken and seasonings, you can be enjoying all of those Island flavors without ever leaving home.

Caribbean Chicken Salad

Ingredients

pounds boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1/4
cup blackened seasoning blend
tablespoons vegetable oil
cups bite-size pieces mixed salad greens
cups peeled and diced fresh peaches
cup sliced red onion
medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/3
cups fruit-flavored vinaigrette
Preparation
  1. Place chicken in heavy-duty resealable plastic food-storage bag. Sprinkle seasoning blend over chicken; seal bag and shake until chicken is evenly coated.
  2. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 10 to 12 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from skillet; drain on paper towels.
  3. Toss salad greens, peaches, onion and bell pepper in large bowl; divide evenly among 8 plates. Top with chicken. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Serves 8.

In this next recipe, the bright greens and red strawberries come together in a whirlwind of color and flavor to create a main-dish salad.

Chicken and Strawberry-Spinach Salad

Ingredients
Strawberry Dressing
tablespoons apple juice
tablespoons strawberry spreadable fruit
tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salad
lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
cups bite-size pieces spinach
cup strawberries, stems removed and strawberries cut in half
1/4
cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (1 oz)
1/4
cup chopped walnuts
Preparation
  1. In small bowl, mix all dressing ingredients until blended; set aside.
  2. Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in skillet 15 to 20 minutes, turning once, until juice of chicken is clear when center of thickest part is cut (170°F). Remove chicken to cutting board.
  3. Add dressing to skillet; stir to loosen any pan drippings.
  4. Cut chicken into slices. Among 4 plates, divide spinach. Top with chicken, strawberries and cheese. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Serves 4.

Finally, here's one from my Betty Crocker Diabetic's Cookbook. You can say good-bye to that boring chicken and welcome the tropics, with a low-fat chicken salad.

Tropical Chicken Salad

Ingredients
lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch strips
tablespoons blackened seasoning blend
tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
bag (5 oz) mixed baby salad greens (4 cups)
medium mango, peeled, pitted and diced (1 cup)
1/2
medium red onion, sliced (3/4 cup)
small red bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
2/3
cup raspberry vinaigrette
Preparation
  1. Place chicken in heavy-duty resealable food-storage plastic bag. Sprinkle seasoning blend over chicken; seal bag and shake until chicken is evenly coated.
  2. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 7 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from skillet; drain on paper towels.
  3. In large bowl, toss salad greens, mango, onion and bell pepper; divide among 4 plates. Top with chicken. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/3/2011 1:14:48 AM
HI Phil,

I got a cool recipe for you today. Can't get the picture to post. Sorry

Yield: 12 Servings
French Bread Casserole

1 loaf (10 ounces) french bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (10 cups)
8 eggs
3 cups milk
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
For the Topping:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, cubed
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
maple syrup, optional

DIRECTIONS
Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt if desired. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Dot with butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over the top.

Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with syrup if desired.

Recipe reprinted by permission of Reiman Publications, LLC - © 2002. All rights reserved.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/3/2011 2:18:33 PM
Hi Myrna,

Sound delicious my Friend. Although I'm afraid that my Sugar count couldn't handle it, I'll have to try making it anyway because the kids will love it.

It Friday, so instead of plain Fish, how about a little "Tipsy" Shrimp today. This shrimp can be marinated up to 3 hours before grilling and the amount of red pepper used can be adjusted according to how hot you like it. The marinade is also great on chicken. Just pair this Shrimp with a little Rice and a Green side dish for a complete meal.

Margarita Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients

• 2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon tequila
  • 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 20 minutes

Directions

1. Combine the shrimp, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, tequila, cilantro, red pepper, and salt in a bowl; toss to combine; refrigerate 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Drain the marinade from the shrimp and discard; thread the shrimp on the skewers.
  3. Cook on preheated grill until the shrimp turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serves 8.

This Rice dish is easy to prepare and delicious! In addition to the Shrimp, it's also great with salmon, chicken, or turkey tacos.

Lime Cilantro Rice

Ingredients

• 4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cups long-grain white rice
  • 2 teaspoons lime zest
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1 cup chopped cilantro

Directions

1. Bring the water to a boil; stir the butter and rice into the water. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
  2. Stir the lime zest, lime juice, and cilantro into the cooked rice just before serving. Serves 8.

My family and I eat this quick veggie side dish at least once a week. We enjoy it with just about any main course. It's a light and easy way to get extra vegetables into your diet.

Baby Carrots 'n' Broccoli

Ingredients

• 3 cups fresh baby carrots
  • 8 cups fresh broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons Nature's Seasoning Blend*
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

Directions

1. In a saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil; add carrots. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; drain and pat dry.
  2. In an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan, combine the carrots with remaining ingredients. Bake, uncovered, at 425 degrees F for 7-9 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring once. Serves 8.

Have A Great Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/4/2011 4:19:40 AM
Hi Phil,

Just got a new recipe, came in to share with you.....

Kiwi-Strawberry Tart (serves 6-8)

Ingredients

1 cup flour
1/3 cup unsalted butter near room temperature, cut into small pieces
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp cold milk
1 1/3 cups milk
3 large egg yolks
¾ cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large kiwis, peeled and sliced
1 pint strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
3 tbsp sugar
Powdered sugar for dusting

Instructions

Make the pastry cream first, because it needs to have enough time to chill. To make the cream, bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a mixing bowl. Sift in the cake flour and continue whisking while pouring the hot milk into the mixture. Put the custard in a clean saucepan and return it to medium-low heat, whisking it until it boils again. Remove the pan from the heat and continue to whisk in order to remove lumps. Once the cream is smooth, switch to using a spatula and return the pan to the heat. Stir while the mixture bubbles for two minutes. Then remove the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator. To prevent any skin from forming, let the plastic wrap touch the surface of the cream.

Next you want to make the pastry itself. The first step is to measure the flour onto a work surface and make an indentation in the center, like a well. Place the cut butter, egg, extra yolk, sugar and salt into the well. Mix together with a fork and gradually add the flour to make soft dough. Then add the cold milk and smear the dough with the heel of your hand. Using your hand helps to ensure that everything is mixed well. Gather the dough together and wrap in plastic. Chill the dough for at least an hour, but preferably overnight. Once chilled, roll the pastry out between two sheets of wax paper to fit an 8" springform pan. Remove the top sheet of wax paper and invert the dough into the mold. Gently press the edges of the dough into the sides of the form. Prick the bottom with a fork, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. If you are pressed for time, you can freeze it for 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Bake the tart shell until it’s lightly colored, usually about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.

When the tart shell is cool, remove the pastry cream from the refrigerator and spread it over the bottom of the shell with a spatula. Then alternate rows of sliced kiwi and strawberries over the custard. The finished tart can stay in the refrigerator for several hours. Dust with powdered sugar just before serving and enjoy!
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/4/2011 7:11:58 AM
Hi Phil,

All those chicken salad recipes sound so good! I'm going to have to try them out....also the shrimp recipe sounds yummy too!

Myrna's recipes also sound terrific. The strawberry tart.....mmmm! I think I can taste it almost.

Do you have a special recipe for Carolina Barbecue? or BBQ...however you spell it. That sounds good for a cook out doesn't it?

Take care,
Cheryl
http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!