Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
7/30/2011 9:25:48 PM

Hello My Friends,

This Brisket is first rubbed with spices and liquid smoke and then cooked in a slow cooker with barbeque sauce until tender and juicy. This calls for just enough barbecue sauce for that smoky flavor while still allowing the flavor of the meat to come through. Hint: It's even better if you marinate it in the dry rub overnight.

Busy Day Barbeque Brisket

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3 pounds beef brisket, trimmed of fat
  • 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 cups barbeque sauce

Directions

1. Combine thyme, paprika, pepper, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, and cumin in a small bowl; set aside. Rub brisket all over with liquid smoke, then rub with spice mixture.
  2. Pour Worcestershire and barbeque sauces into a slow cooker; place beef on top. Cover, and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours, until fork tender.

For a fantastic Dessert to finish off the Barbecue, I pull out my smaller Crockpot and fix this warm and yummy treat.

Easy Berry Cobbler

Ingredients

Filling:

• 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen strawberries
  • 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen blueberries
  • 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen raspberries
  • 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar, depending on your level of preferred sweetness
  • 1/2 cup baking mix

Topping:

• 2 1/4 cups baking mix
  • 1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions

Spray the insert of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the frozen fruit, sugar and 1/2 cup baking mix. Transfer the fruit to the slow cooker. In another large mixing bowl, stir together 2 1/4 cups baking mix, 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter and milk with a wooden spoon. With your hands, drop bits of dough on top of the fruit in the slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the dough and place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn the power onto high and slow cook for 3 to 4 hours until the topping has puffed and the fruit is bubbling. Serve warm with whipped cream or better yet, some homemade ice cream.

Happy Saturday My Friends,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/31/2011 4:45:13 PM

Hello Everyone,

Easiest recipe I've ever fixed. I originally tried it over 15 years ago, and it is still a hit today. Just a few minutes of preparation, and all day cooking. Dinner will be hot and ready whenever you have a chance to eat. The meat falls from the bones, and the sauce can be used as a gravy for rice or potatoes. Enjoy! There's also a treat for your sweet tooth as well.

Busy Day Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
  • 1 1/2 cups prepared barbecue sauce

Directions

1. Put chicken, legs up, into slow cooker. Pour sauce over and inside the chicken. Cover.
  2. Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low setting. It is not a good idea to check it, as steam escapes and it takes quite awhile to reheat. Serves 8.

This delicious cobbler smells so good while it's in the oven, your mouth will be watering before it's finished baking. Serve it warm with cream or with some homemade ice cream.

Blueberry Peach Cobbler

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
  • 1/4 cup sherry or unsweetened apple juice
  • 5 cups sliced peeled peaches
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • TOPPING:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • Dash salt
  • 1/4 cup cold butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cornstarch and mace. Stir in sherry or juice until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the peaches, blueberries, pecans, butter and lemon juice. Pour into a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish.
  2. For topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until coarse crumbs form. Stir in milk and egg. Spoon over fruit mixture. Bake at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and a toothpick inserted in the topping comes out clean. Serve warm. Serves 6.

Have A Delightful Day,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/3/2011 11:14:24 PM

Hello My Friends,

This sweet and spicy tenderloin recipe is super easy! Make it as spicy as you like by adding more or different types of chili peppers. This version is mild enough for my 4-year-old Neice to enjoy. Two 1 pound tenderloins might only feed six because everyone will want seconds. Since the 4-year-old was here for Super, you know that there had to be a Treat as well.

Slow Cooker Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 pounds pork tenderloin
  • 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 fresh red chile pepper, finely chopped
  • 1/2 large onion, sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown tenderloins on all sides, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together teriyaki sauce, chicken broth, and brown sugar in a bowl. Stir in garlic, red chile pepper, onion, and black pepper.
  2. Put browned tenderloins into slow cooker, cover with the teriyaki sauce mixture. Cook on High for about 4 hours, turning 2 to 3 times during the cooking time to ensure even doneness.
  3. Remove tenderloins from the slow cooker and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. If desired, spoon liquid over slices when serving. Serves 8.

Here's a healthier treat for the little ones. No one believes these fudgy brownies, with just a hint of peanut butter, are actually low-fat. They're so full of flavor, they'll satisfy anyone's chocolate cravings.

Fudgy Peanut Butter Brownies

Ingredients

• 2-1/3 cups and 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1-3/4 cups and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon egg substitute
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

FILLING:

• 3-1/2 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
  • 1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon reduced fat peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons egg substitute
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract

FROSTING:

• 1 cup and 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoons and 1-3/4 teaspoons baking cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons 2% milk
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1-1/4 teaspoons water

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa and salt. Stir in applesauce, egg substitute and vanilla; mix well. Pour about half of the batter into a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine the filling ingredients; beat until smooth. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto batter. Spoon remaining batter over the top; cut through batter with a knife to swirl peanut butter mixture.
  3. Bake at 325 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until edges are firm and center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread over brownies. Yields 2 Dozen Brownies

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/6/2011 9:08:56 PM

Hello Friends,

Here's a fabulous chicken stew recipe for the crock pot or slow cooker. With only 4 Weight Watchers Points, it’s hard to imagine that a stew with this much flavor can be made so quickly and easily. In addition, this stew recipe is packed with mostly vegetables and meat making it high in fiber and protein, and low in carbohydrates and calorie, making it almost perfect. I also found it to be very filling and it heats up well too, so it makes a great diet friendly lunch to take to work for the next day.

Basque Chicken Stew

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
6 slices turkey bacon, Louis Rich --diced into 1/2 inch pieces
8 ounces mushroom -- sliced
1 green bell pepper -- cubed 1"
1 small carrot chopped or sliced
1 red bell pepper -- cubed 1"
1 bunch green onions -- 1/2 - 1 "chunks
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts -- 1" cubes
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup fat-free chick. broth, (I use the one with 1/3 less sodium).
2 cups tomatoes, canned -- 16 oz

Directions:

Heat olive oil in a large skillet; sauté bacon until browned. Add mushrooms, peppers and green onions and sauté for a minute. Add vinegar and cook 1 minute more, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Set aside. Place chicken in slow cooker. Add sautéed bacon and vegetable mixture to the pot, the olives (optional). Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix. Pour over chicken and vegetables in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours. Can serve over rice (but remember to add in the appropriate Weight Watchers Points if you do).

Serving size: (1/4 recipe) Per Serving: 203 Calories, 8.7g Fat, 2.4g Fiber and only 4 WW Points

Hope Your Weekend's Great,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/8/2011 11:59:26 AM

Hello My Friends,

An unusual blend of seasonings flavor this slow cooker meal that takes advantage of the abundance of fresh Asparagus. In other seasons, fresh green beans are also an option to replace the Asparagus.

Balsamic Pear, Chicken, and Asparagus

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
  • 1-1/2 onion, sliced thin
  • salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 3 ripe Bartlett pears, cored and sliced
  • 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup and 1 teaspoon apple juice
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
  • 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Directions

1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the chicken in the hot oil until completely browned, 3 to 5 minutes; transfer to a slow cooker. Add the onion to the chicken; season with salt and pepper. Place the pears and asparagus atop the chicken mixture.
  2. Mix the garlic, balsamic vinegar, apple juice, rosemary, ginger, and sugar together in a bowl; pour over the asparagus. Season again with salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!