Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
8/21/2011 2:01:39 AM
yes it does sound good myrna. it's over 90 today so a little too hot to make cornbread in the oven.

Phil, what do you suggest if you don't want to use all that butter in the corn bread. do you know of a substitute?

pat
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/21/2011 3:35:21 AM

Hello My Friends,

Yes Myrna, this Cornbread is just as good as it sounds too! I've got dozens of CornBread recipes and this is the one that I use most. The secrets in the Buttermilk and of course, I only use stone ground Cornmeal from up at the Old Mill of Guilford up at Oak Ridge.

Pat, I've been told that you can substitute olive oil for butter, margarine or other oils in almost any recipe. The basic rule is to use an equal amount of olive oil if the recipe calls for vegetable oil. The variety of olive and harvest time are major factors affecting the flavour of olive oil. If you want to replace butter with olive oil, to use in baking or on delicately flavoured foods, you don't want an olive oil that is described as "grassy, peppery, or pungent". An olive oil described as "smooth, mellow, and buttery" is what you're looking for and there are several out there that fit the bill. This chart shows the substitution amounts for butter or margarine in imperial and metric measurements.

Speaking of being too hot, while I can't have any, here's something some of my Friends swear by to cool off. Watermelon, vodka, sugar, and fresh mint are all you need to make this fun summertime recipe.

French Watermelon

Ingredients

• 1 large watermelon, cubed
  • 1 cup vodka
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 15 fresh mint leaves, chopped

Directions

1. Toss the watermelon, vodka, sugar, and mint together in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Depending on the size of the Melon, serves about 20.

Have A Great Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/22/2011 6:23:42 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today's recipe is for this tasty meal-in-one supper with chicken and vegetables seasoned with herbs. The best thing about this dish is that you have only one pot to clean.

Satisfying Chicken and Veggies

Ingredients

• 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
  • 1 cup thickly sliced onion
  • 1/2 cup sliced celery
  • 1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up and skin removed
  • 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions

• Place the potatoes, onion, celery, carrot and yellow pepper in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with chicken. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until chicken juices run clear and vegetables are tender. Serves 6.

Have A Magnificent Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/24/2011 3:29:56 PM

Hello My Friends,

In keeping with the idea of light meals to prepare on Wednesday Church nights, here's one that you can start on Wednesday mornings and it will be ready when you get home from work and need to rush to get ready for Church. Wrap up your dinner solution with these easy slow cooker taco-style turkey sandwiches. Add the refreshing Melon Fruit Bowl for a quick and easy meal.

Slow Cooker Turkey, Bacon and Avocado Wraps

Ingredients

slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
lb turkey breast tenderloins, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices
3/4
cup barbecue sauce
tablespoons Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix (from 1-oz package)
medium ripe avocado, pitted, peeled and mashed
cups shredded lettuce
1/2
cup drained roasted red or yellow bell peppers (from 7-oz jar), large pieces cut up
Old El Paso® flour tortillas (6 or 8 inch), heated
Directions
  1. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost crisp. Add turkey slices to skillet; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turkey is brown on all sides.
  2. Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place turkey mixture in cooker. Top with barbecue sauce and taco seasoning mix; stir to mix well.
  3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.
  4. Remove turkey from cooker; place on cutting board. Use 2 forks to break up turkey; return turkey to cooker. Layer avocado, lettuce, turkey mixture and bell peppers on tortillas; roll up. Make 8 wraps.

This medley of strawberries, melon and pineapple gets its rich sweet taste from a creamy banana dressing over any fresh fruit for an eye-appealing salad that's perfect for any meal.

Melon Fruit Bowl

Ingredients

• 1 medium cantaloupe, cut into chunks
  • 1 honeydew melon
  • 3 cups fresh pineapple chunks
  • 1 cup halved strawberries

BANANA DRESSING:

• 1 medium ripe banana, cut into chunks
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions

1. In a large bowl, combine the melon, pineapple and strawberries; set aside. Place the dressing ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Serve with fruit salad. Serves 10-12.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/26/2011 4:52:44 PM

Hello Friends,

Just 10 minutes of prep before work on Monday, and then you can walk in the door that evening to a delicious and homey meal, ready to sit down and eat, as soon as you fix the Cornbread to go with it.

Slow Cooker Barbecued Beans and Polish Sausage

Ingredients

cans (15.5 oz each) Green Giant® great northern beans, drained, rinsed
cans (15 oz each) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
large onion, chopped (1 cup)
cup barbecue sauce
1/4
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoon ground mustard
tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
teaspoons chili powder
ring (1 to 1 1/4 lb) fully cooked smoked Polish sausage
Directions
  1. Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients except sausage in cooker. Place sausage ring on bean mixture.
  2. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 5 to 6 hours.

Have A Super Weekend My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!