Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
7/18/2011 2:24:25 PM
Hi Phil,

I have a friend who just loves barbecue sauce, I will make sure he gets this recipe.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2011 11:57:17 PM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for stopping by and Thanks for your Comments. Glad you liked the Sauce. I've collected at least 2 to 3 dozen really good BBQ Sauce recipes over the years, so chances are quite likely that whatever kind your Friend likes, I've got a sauce for that!

Here's a somewhat different Barbecue Recipe that I thought you all might like. As you know by now, during the winter months I often use the slow cooker to have dinner ready whenever everyone gets home from work This recipe is very easy and my family tells me it is better than the pulled pork from the Texas Roadhouse Restaurants.

Easy Pulled Pork

1 cup beef broth
1 liter of rootbeer (or a little more if need to cover the meat)
1 minced garlic clove
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
3 pounds of pork shoulder

Trim all the fat off the pork and pierce with a large fork. Place in slow cooker and pour liquids over the meat. Add garlic. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Remove from cooker and use 2 forks to pull meat apart into shreds. Dump liquids from the cooker. Return shredded meat to slow cooker and turn up to high. Add 1 small bottle of BBQ sauce. Of course, I prefer my own homemade, however, whenever we use store-bought, I prefer Sweet Baby Rays. Toss meat until well coated with the sauce and then continue cooking in slow cooker for 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve on toasted hamburger buns or as the main dish with some garlic red potatoes and grilled veggie skewer on the side. Enjoy!!

Have A Terrific Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/23/2011 9:58:54 PM

Hello My Friends,

Baked chicken in a slow cooker for busy people. Put the chicken on in the morning, and have golden brown baked chicken for dinner. A whole chicken is an easy fix in the slow cooker, and versatile too. Serve as-is or shred the juicy meat for sandwiches, soup, or salads.

Baked Slow Cooker Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (2 to 3 pound) whole chicken
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 teaspoon paprika

Directions

1. Wad three pieces of aluminum foil into 3 to 4 inch balls, and place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.
  2. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and paprika, and place in the slow cooker on top of the crumbled aluminum foil.
  3. Set the slow cooker to High for 1 hour, then turn down to Low for about 8 to 10 hours, or until the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/26/2011 12:44:06 PM

Hello My Friends,

Continuing with the Chicken dishes, this meal is based off the Greek Chicken which my friend taught me. I modified it to use the 6-quart slow cooker in the summer instead of the oven.

Greek Slow Cooker Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 (3 pound) whole chicken, skin removed
  • 1 lemon, cut in half
  • 6 cloves peeled garlic, or more to taste (divided)
  • 6 red potatoes, sliced into 1-inch thick rounds
  • 1 large onion, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup white wine
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • Directions

1. Rinse the chicken, inside and out. Place one half of the lemon and 3 garlic cloves in cavity of chicken. Reserve other half of lemon.
    2. Layer the sliced potatoes and the onions in the crock of a slow cooker. Sprinkle remaining 3 garlic cloves around the inside of the cooker; place chicken onto the vegetables. Pour in the wine and olive oil. Dissolve bouillon in the boiling water, and add to the cooker.
    3. Squeeze the juice of remaining lemon half over chicken (strain out seeds); sprinkle with oregano. Season chicken with salt and black pepper.
    4. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 8-10 hours. A meat thermometer, inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, not touching a bone, should read at least 160 degrees F. Serves 6.

Happy Tuesday My Friends,

Phil

+0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    7/29/2011 9:20:37 PM

Hello Friends,

Well, this Friday's Seafood dish is coming to us this Evening from the Slow Cooker. It's a real favorite here at my house.

Slow-Cooker Seafood Gumbo

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
    • 2 stalks celery, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
    • 1 medium onion, sliced (1 cup)
    • 1 green pepper, chopped (1 1/2 Cups)
    • 2 garlic cloves minced
    • 2 cups chicken broth
    • 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
    • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
    • 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    • 1 pound large raw shrimp, cleaned
    • 1 pound fresh or frozen crabmeat
    • 1 10-ounce box frozen okra, thawed and sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces

Directions

1. In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
    2. Discard all but a thin coating of fat from the skillet. Add the celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic to the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Spoon the vegetables into the cooker and add the broth, tomatoes (with their liquid), Worcestershire, salt, and thyme.
    3. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours. Add the shrimp, crabmeat, and okra, and cook 1 hour longer on low heat. Serves 6.

Have A Great Evening,

Phil

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!