Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
6/27/2011 9:40:36 PM

Hello Friends,

I often serve these meatballs as an appetizer at parties or over steamed rice as a main entree for dinner. This recipe serves 6, however, it's easily doubled or even tripled for a crowd.

Sweet N Sour Meatballs

Ingredients

• 1 egg
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

SAUCE:

• 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, undrained
  • 2 medium green peppers, julienned
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup cold water

Directions

1. In a bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls.
  2. In a large skillet, brown meatballs in oil, turning often. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside; drain.
  3. To skillet, add the pineapple, green peppers, sugar, vinegar, oil and soy sauce. Cover and simmer until tender, about 5 minutes. Return meatballs to skillet; simmer until meat is no longer pink.
  4. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/28/2011 12:51:56 AM
Hi Phil,

These meatballs look good. Not caught up on the other recipes. Be back later.

Thanks for stopping at the Native American site. We missed you.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/29/2011 2:10:04 AM

Hi Myrna,

Thanks for your Comments & Thanks for all of your support. Just in time for the Cookouts, here's the Beans. This robust version of baked beans is prepared in the slow cooker.

Slow Cooker Three-Bean Beer Pot
slices uncooked bacon, cut into small pieces
cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
cup barbecue sauce
3/4
cup regular or nonalcoholic dark beer
1/4
cup packed brown sugar
cans (15 oz each) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
cans (15 oz each) pinto beans, drained
can (19 oz) Progresso® cannellini beans, drained
  1. In 10-inch skillet, cook bacon and onion over medium heat 7 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp; drain.
  2. Spray 3- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. In cooker, place bacon mixture and remaining ingredients; mix well.
  3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours.
Makes 16 servings (1/2 cup each)
Have A Wonderful Evening,
Phil
“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/5/2011 9:48:52 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sticking with the Beans and keeping it simple, here's a good, homemade recipe for baked beans. Serve with your favorite entree, or as a meal in itself. Don't forget the Cornbread.

Slow Cooker Baked Beans

Ingredients

• 24 ounces dry white beans
  • 1 pound ham hocks
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons prepared mustard

Directions

1. In a large pot over high heat, combine the beans with water to cover and bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat but let sit for 1 hour. Drain beans and place them in a slow cooker. Add the ham hocks, onion, brown sugar, maple syrup, salt and water.
  2. Mix well, cover and cook on high setting for 4 to 5 hours, stirring occasionally. During the final hour of cooking, add the ketchup and mustard, remove the ham from the hocks and discard the hocks. Mix well and serve. Serves 12, great for Cookouts and Potluck Suppers.

These are so quick to stir up, and they bake in just 15 minutes. They come out oh-so-tender, but don't crumble like many corn muffins do. Serves 1 Dozen.

Coffee Shop Corn Muffins

Ingredients

• 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions

1. In a bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugars, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, beat egg, buttermilk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 425 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until muffins test done. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Serves 1 Dozen.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/11/2011 5:24:11 PM

Hi Friends,

Today, we're keeping it short and simple. Cabbage leaves stuffed with ground beef, onion and rice, then covered in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce and cooked in a slow cooker.

Cabbage Rolls

Ingredients

• 12 leaves cabbage
  • 1 cup cooked white rice
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
  • 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.
  2. In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, and pepper. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
  4. Cover, and cook on Low 8 to 9 hours. Serves 6.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!