Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
6/16/2011 1:26:38 AM

Hello Again Donna,

As long as someone gets a recipe or an idea or two that they can use, then I'll figure that these Forums are serving their purpose. Glad you are enjoying them.

These moist chops first simmer to perfection in a tangy sauce, then are served over pasta. This was one of my mother's most-loved recipes.

Spaghetti Pork Chops

Ingredients

• 3 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon celery seed
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 6 bone-in pork loin chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Hot cooked spaghetti

Directions

• In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomato sauce, soup, onion, bay leaf, celery seed and Italian seasoning.
  • In a large skillet, brown pork chops in oil. Add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve chops and sauce over spaghetti. Serves 6.

Have A Terrific Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/16/2011 6:13:07 PM

Hello My Friends,

Today we'll try a little something different.

I have a very good Friend who due to his job, lives part of each year in Mexico and part of the year in NC. Ben's wife has become quite the expert with traditional Mexican dishes and she is graduallly teachng me a few of the tricks. While the French boast of their bearnaise, Indians are known for tantalizing curry, and Italians for rich, thick marinara, in Mexico, the undisputed national sauce is Mole, an intoxicating blend of chocolate, chiles, garlic, onions and nuts and so much more. While neither Ben's wife nor I usually try to make this treasure from scratch, simply because the sauce is an all-day process and traditionally the 30-some ingredients must be ground, mixed and blended by hand, she has shown me this shredded, slow-cooker version of her favorite chicken mole, which I can prepare whenever I know I won't have time in the evening to make the real thing for dinner. If you can't find Ancho chili powder, you can substitute regular, but use a little more; and use your favorite type of hot sauce. Since I like it "Hot", I love Golden Habanero, but any kind tastes good.

Slow Cooker Chicken Mole

Ingredients

• 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • 1/3 cup currants
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 5 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, or to taste
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds, for garnish

Directions

1. Place the onion, raisins, currants, garlic, chile powder, sesame seeds, cumin, cinnamon, cocoa powder, hot sauce, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken broth into a slow cooker; stir to mix. Add the chicken breasts, and stir to cover with sauce.
  2. Cover and cook on Low 6 hours, then increase heat to High, and continue cooking until the chicken is tender, about 3 hours more. Or cook on Low for 11 to 12 hours.
  3. Once the chicken is tender, remove, shred, and stir it back into the mole. Serve sprinkled with slivered almonds. Serves 8.

Have A Happy Thursday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/17/2011 9:01:51 PM

Hello Phil,

I have never made pork chops with a pasta-type sauce but it does sound intriguing so I may give it a try. I had never made chicken with pasta sauce, but tried it with my grandson and daughter-in-law one weekend, chicken cacciatore. It is good, so maybe pork with pasta sauce is equally appealing.

Thanks for sharing your mother's favorite recipe with us

DonnaZ

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/21/2011 6:29:15 PM

Hi Donna,

I hope you'll let me know what you think of the Pork with the Pasta. Personally, I love it, but unfortunately, I like Pork just about any way it's prepared. Here's aother one that I hope you all will like.

Tender Italian beef piled high on hearty rolls is a quick, easy, and delicious dinner. This makes a sandwich similar to one I used to get at a local restaurant when I lived up in Chicago for awhile several years ago. Serve on crusty rolls with roasted sweet or hot peppers, if desired. It's fast food, that's slow cooked in your own kitchen.

Slow Cooker Italian Beef for Sandwiches

Ingredients

• 3 cups water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 (.7 ounce) package dry Italian-style salad dressing mix
  • 1 (5 pound) rump roast

Directions

1. Combine water with salt, ground black pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix in a saucepan. Stir well, and bring to a boil.
  2. Place roast in slow cooker, and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat.
  3. Cover, and cook on Low for 10 to 12 hours, or on High for 4 to 5 hours. When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork. Serves 10.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/23/2011 6:34:37 PM

Hello Everyone,

My family loves Pierogies. They smell great and keep you dipping into the pot before dinnertime and these are quick and easy to prepare as well as delicious.

Slow Cooker Pierogie Casserole

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 head cabbage, chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 pound bacon
  • 4 (16.9 ounce) packages frozen pierogies
  • 3 tablespoons butter

Directions

1. Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in the cabbage, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes.
  2. Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate. Cut the bacon into bite-sized pieces; set aside.
  3. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the pierogies and return to a boil. Cook until the pierogies float to the top, about 5 minutes; drain.
  4. Place the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter into a slow cooker. Gently combine the pierogies, cabbage, and bacon; and place into the slow cooker. Cook on Low for 3 hours before serving. Serves 8.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!