Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
6/8/2011 2:08:41 AM

Dear Phil, I have been reading the last few posts here. I enjoyed your story of learning to cook. Being the youngest in my family would seem that I never learned. However there were only 2 of us girls, so as soon as we could stand on a stool to reach the stove we were cooking and washing dishes.

My Mama was the best cook ever and there is no way I can come close. She could make the best fried chicken and the Thanksgiving dressing that only Southerners know how to fix. She loved to cook and please her family.

Your vegetarian diet sounds very interesting. I think I could do veggies but it is hard when you have those around that like meat. You do understand this!! However, Gus has finally found his own house and moved out. I am readjusting to a new schedule. For the first time in many years (I don't remember how long) - I am not on a schedule!!! I can cook one meal and eat whenever. I don't have to rush each evening to put out a spread for working men. It is taking me some time to make the adjustment but I am liking it more each day!!

Sorry I have not been around much lately - why do we let life get in the way??

Love you friend,

Sara

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/8/2011 2:23:58 AM
This dish sounds so good Phil. Thanks for being such a good cook

pat

Quote:
This is a vegetarian version of the traditional French dish. If you are home while this is cooking, it's a good idea to give the beans a stir every couple of hours.

Vegetarian Cassoulet

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 onion
  • 2 carrots, peeled and diced
  • 1 pound dry navy beans, soaked overnight
  • 4 cups mushroom broth
  • 1 cube vegetable bouillon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 4 sprigs fresh parsley
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 1 sprig fresh lemon thyme, chopped
  • 1 sprig fresh savory
  • 1 large potato, peeled and cubed

Directions

1. Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and carrots in oil until tender.
  2. In a slow cooker, combine beans, carrots and onion, mushroom broth, bouillon, and bay leaf. Pour in water if necessary to cover ingredients with water. Tie together parsley, rosemary, thyme, and savory, and add to the pot. Cook on Low for 8 hours.
  3. Stir in potato, and continue cooking for 1 hour. Remove herbs before serving. Serves 8.

Have A Good Week My Friends,

Phil

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/9/2011 6:46:55 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here we take Chicken breasts and slowly cook them with onion, bell pepper, celery, tomato and mushroom soups and herbs. When my family got home that first Night, they couldn't wait, in fact, they thought we were having pizza for dinner, hence the name.

Slow Cooker Pizza Chicken

Ingredients

• 4-3/4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite size pieces
  • 1-1/4 onion, chopped
  • 1-1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2-1/2 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1-1/4 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
  • 1-1/4 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
  • 2 tablespoons and 1-1/4 teaspoons tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons water
  • 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1-1/4 bay leaf
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Place chicken, onion, bell pepper and celery in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl combine the tomato soup, cream of mushroom soup, tomato paste, water, parsley, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well and pour mixture over chicken and vegetables in slow cooker. Stir to coat and add bay leaf.
  2. Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, until chicken and vegetables are tender. Serves 6.

Hope That Your Week's Been Great,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/10/2011 12:58:34 PM
Hello My Friends,

We came up with this soothing slow cooker recipe while we were sitting around watching the rain just last Weekend. It's simple to make, has lots of flavor, and is low in fat. Just a quick meal for two.

Slow-Cooked Beef 'n' Veggies

Ingredients

• 1 boneless beef top round steak (1/2 pound), cut into two pieces
  • Dash seasoned salt, optional
  • Dash pepper
  • Dash garlic powder
  • 1 cup Italian salad dressing
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon browning sauce
  • 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
  • 2 medium red potatoes, cubed
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1/2 small green pepper, cut into small chunks

Directions

• Sprinkle one side of steak with seasoned salt if desired and pepper; sprinkle other side with garlic powder. Place in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight.
  • In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the salad dressing, water and browning sauce. Add carrots and potatoes; toss to coat. Add steak and coat with sauce. Top with onion and green pepper.
  • Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Serves 2.

Have A Happy Weekend My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/11/2011 5:26:32 PM
Hello Friends,

For today's Crockpot Recipe, we're going back to that old standby, Chicken. Here we have some seasoned, and browned chicken breasts that are slow cooked with lemon juice, garlic, and chicken bouillon. A wonderful 'fix and forget' recipe that is easy and pleases just about everyone. Great served with rice or pasta, or even alone.

Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken

Ingredients

• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

Directions

1. In a bowl, mix the oregano, salt, and pepper. Rub the mixture into chicken. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken in butter for 3 to 5 minutes on each side. Place chicken in a slow cooker.
  2. In the same skillet, mix the water, lemon juice, garlic, and bouillon. Bring the mixture to boil. Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.
  3. Cover, and cook on High for 3 hours, or Low for 6 hours. Add the parsley to the slow cooker 15 to 30 minutes before the end of the cook time. Serves 6.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!