Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
5/11/2011 10:17:06 PM

Hello Friends,

Here’s another great low calorie crock pot recipe that is not only easy, but incredibly yummy and satisfying. With each hearty serving of this Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe for Greek Stew, you get loads of flavor, but it packs on a mere 5 WW Points per serving. It’s filled with delicious vegetables and covered in a tangy creamy tomato yogurt sauce with lemon essence that is soooooooo good, I want to smother everything with it! I also love that this dish tastes light and fresh, making a great spring or summer crock pot recipe. If you love Mediterranean flavors, and are looking for an easy weeknight dinner idea, give this delectable dish a try ASAP.

Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Stew Recipe

Ingredients

• 1lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 4-6 thighs)
  • 1 14oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup fat free chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup plain, fat free Greek yogurt
  • 1 small head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 fennel bulb, sliced
  • 1 10oz can artichoke hearts, drained
  • 1 large red onion, sliced
  • 1/3 cup Kalamata olives (not in oil), drained
  • 1/4 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
  • 8 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp fresh lemon zest
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper

Instructions

1. Spray a large nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set at medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once, until browned, about 5-8 minutes.
  2. Transfer chicken to a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Arrange cauliflower, fennel, onion, olives around the chicken. Then cover with garlic, lemon zest, oregano, salt and pepper.
  3. Pour in broth and tomatoes.
  4. Cover and cook about 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
  5. Stir in yogurt and artichokes and cook for about another 15- 30 minutes.

Happy Tuesday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/13/2011 10:56:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

So simple, and yet oh so delicious! The carrots make it almost sweet, and it's a cinch to make gravy for mashed potatoes from the cooking juices.

Slow Cooker Carrot Chicken

Ingredients

• 4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
  • 1 medium head cabbage, quartered
  • 1 pound carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
  • water to cover
  • 4 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon Greek-style seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water

Directions

1. Rinse chicken and place in slow cooker. Rinse cabbage and place on top of chicken, then add carrots. Add enough water to almost cover all. Add bouillon cubes and sprinkle liberally with poultry seasoning. Add Greek seasoning to taste (as you would salt and pepper). Cook on low for 8 hours OR on high for 4 hours.
  2. To Make Gravy: When you're nearly ready to eat, pour off some of the juice and place in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Dissolve cornstarch in about 1/4 cup water (depending on how thick you like your gravy). Add to saucepan and simmer all together until thick. If desired, season with additional Greek seasoning. Serve gravy over chicken and potatoes, if desired. Serves 8.

Have A Happy Weekend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/14/2011 11:46:18 PM

Hello My Friends,

Continuing the Pork Theme started with the Pork Steaks over at Papa's Kitchen, here's a recipe that is a real favorite with my family. I usually serve it with buttered egg noodles and sugar snap peas.

Tangy Slow Cooker Pork Roast

Ingredients

• 1 large onion, sliced
  • 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork loin roast
  • 1 cup hot water
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 dash hot pepper sauce, or to taste

Directions

1. Arrange onion slices evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker, and then place the roast on top of the onion. In a bowl, mix together water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and hot sauce; pour over roast.
  2. Cover, and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours, or on High for 3 to 4 hours. Serves 8.

Hoping That Your Weekend's Wonderful,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2011 1:01:26 AM

Hello My Friends,

With this somewhat unusual recipe you can enjoy a taste of sausage and grits in a meatloaf. This recipe uses the grits as a binder instead of the bread crumbs used in a traditional meatloaf recipe. The slow cooking method results in a firm yet moist meatloaf that not only tastes great for dinner, but can be thinly sliced for next day lunch sandwiches. Use your favorite barbecue sauce instead of ketchup, if you prefer. Serve alone, with gravy, with ketchup or BBQ sauce. Makes great sandwiches cold or warmed in a buttered fry pan.

Slow Cooker Sausage 'n' Grits Meatloaf

Ingredients

• 2 16-inch square sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
  • 1/3 cup liquid egg whites
  • 1/3 cup dry grits
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 2 dashes liquid smoke flavoring, or to taste (optional)

Directions

1. Fold each sheet of aluminum foil in half lengthwise, then fold in half lengthwise again, to make 2 strips of foil 4 inches wide by 16 inches long. Place the strips into the bottom of a slow cooker in a cross, so that the long ends of the strips come partway up the inside of the cooker (to make lifting handles). Spray the inside of the slow cooker and the foil strips with cooking spray.
  2. Mix together the ground beef, pork sausage, egg whites, grits, onion powder, garlic powder, ketchup, and liquid smoke flavoring until thoroughly combined, and form into a rounded loaf. Gently place the loaf into the slow cooker on top of the crossed foil strips.
  3. Cover the cooker, set on Low, and cook for 5 to 6 hours. To serve, carefully hold the ends of the foil strips, and gently lift the meat loaf from the cooker by the foil handles to place on a serving platter for slicing. Serves 6.
Then, for a terrific side dish to acccmpany your Meatloaf, try this creamy salad made with red potatoes, which give this dish which is chock full of melt-in-your-mouth bacon, bits of hard boiled egg, crunchy celery and spicy onion, a delectable, firm texture.

Red Skinned Potato Salad

Ingredients

• 2 pounds clean, scrubbed new red potatoes
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 pound bacon
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain and set in the refrigerator to cool.
  2. Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
  3. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
  4. Chop the cooled potatoes, leaving skin on. Add to a large bowl, along with the eggs, bacon, onion and celery. Add mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. Chill for an hour before serving. Serves 12.

Hope Your Week Ahead Is Terrific,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/16/2011 9:20:35 PM

Hello Dear Friends,

A wonderful neighbor showed me how to make this recipe after I commented on how good it made the neighborhood smell when she had her windows open every time she made it. This American-Italian term refers to food prepared 'hunter-style,' with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, various herbs, and sometimes wine. I found that by adding cheese it gave it something special, and it also made it mine.

Slow Cooker Pork Cacciatore

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1-1/2 onion, sliced
  • 6 boneless pork chops
  • 1-1/2 (28 ounce) jars pasta sauce
  • 1-1/2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1-1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
  • 1-1/2 (8 ounce) packages fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 3 large cloves garlic, minced
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 6 slices mozzarella cheese

Directions

1. In a large skillet, brown chops over medium-high heat. Transfer to slow cooker.
  2. In the same pan, cook onion in oil over medium heat until browned. Stir in mushrooms and bell pepper, and cook until these vegetables are soft. Mix in pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, and white wine. Season with Italian seasoning, basil, and garlic. Pour over pork chops in slow cooker.
  3. Cook on Low for 7 to 8 hours. To serve, place a slice of cheese over each chop, and cover with sauce. Serves 6.

And here's an easy bread machine recipe for some quick, yet fragrant and tasty Garlic Bread.

Garlic Bread

Ingredients

• 1 3/8 cups water
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 4 cups bread flour
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Directions

1. Place ingredients in the bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
  2. Select Basic or White Bread cycle, and press Start. Makes one 2-lb Loaf.

Have A Wonderful Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!