Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/21/2011 7:48:56 PM

Hello My Friends,

They are high in fiber, low in fat, and easy on the wallet—beans have it all. And these refried beans are simple to make, when cooked in a slow cooker. This recipe will yield flavorful, fat-free refried beans seasoned with garlic, jalapeno, and cumin.

Refried Beans Without the Refry

Ingredients

• 1 onion, peeled and halved
  • 3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed
  • 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 5 teaspoons salt
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
  • 9 cups water

Directions

1. Place the onion, rinsed beans, jalapeno, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high.
  2. Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a potato masher, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.

Have A Terrific Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/22/2011 2:34:21 AM
Hi Phil,

Oh I love refried beans. How much does this make. 3 cups of dried beans sound like one grand amount for 1 person. I think I would go back to 1 cup.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/23/2011 9:11:31 PM

Hi Myrna,

I must apologize my Friend. I'm afraid that you're quite right. That would be way yonder too many beans for just one, or even for a Small Family. The original recipe is for 15 servings. I usually check that a little closer, before I share these recipes, but I'm afraid that my mind has been straying a lot lately. I'll try to do better from now on.

Here's one that you might also like. This is the easiest baked chicken you'll ever make. Start it in the morning, and it will be perfect at supper time. Along with some fresh, frozen, or tinned vegetables and a loaf of fresh bread, you’ll have a nutritious, easy meal that pleases even picky eaters. Whole chicken is usually very cheap too, so you can feel thrifty as well as accomplished in the kitchen.

Shamefully Easy and Delicious Baked Chicken

Ingredients:

• 1 kg (2.2 lbs.) whole chicken (or equal weight of chicken pieces)
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • salt and pepper to taste (suggested to start with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper)

Steps:

If you don’t have a metal rack that fits in your slow cooker, you can create balls of aluminium foil of about an inch in diameter. Four should hold up your chicken nicely if you place them in the bottom of the slow cooker.

Rinse chicken under cold water, inside and out, then pat dry with paper towels.

Mix together paprika, salt, and pepper and evenly season chicken with the mixture.

Place chicken on rack or foil balls in slow cooker.

Cover and cook on High setting for 1 hour. Turn slow cooker to Low setting and cook for approximately 9 hours. The chicken is done when the meat is no longer pink and when the juices are clear.

Have A Great Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
2/23/2011 9:37:16 PM

Thank you for all the delicious and healthy recipes Phil.

Love,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/24/2011 10:03:58 PM

Hi Sara,

So glad that you stopped by and I hope that you all can find some recipe ideas that you can use. Here’s another easy classic that’s also quite healthy. Serve with a side of rice or chow mein noodles and you'll have a filling meal that the whole family will love.

Slow Cooker Chicken Chow Mein

Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2.5cm pieces
  • 4 carrots, sliced
  • 4 green onions, sliced
  • 3 stalks celery, sliced
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup light soy sauce
  • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 8 oz. bean sprouts
  • 8 oz. water chestnuts, sliced
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • ½ cup water

Steps:

1. Brown the chicken in a skillet in the cooking oil.
  2. Put chicken and all ingredients except for cornstarch and water into the slow cooker and stir.
  3. Cook on Low setting for 8 to 10 hours.
  4. Turn Slow Cooker to High setting and combine cornstarch and cold water in small bowl until dissolved.
  5. Stir cornstarch and water mixture into slow cooker liquids. Cover with top slightly ajar so a bit of steam can escape. Cook on High until thickened (about 20 minutes).

Have A Delightful Evening,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!