Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
La Nell !

3647 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
2/25/2011 12:05:27 AM
Hi Phil, This recipe sounds good and it is low fat and high in fiber. Good choice. LaNell

Refried Beans Without the Refry

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/25/2011 8:23:56 PM

Hi LaNell,

It's so good of you to stop by for a visit. Some of my fondest memories of eating some of my favorite foods were right down there in your Home State of Louisiana. Here's one of Louisiana's Signature Dishes made the easy way, in my Crockpot. This Cockpot Chicken & Sausage Gumbo assembles easily and is packed with flavor.

Crockpot Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Ingredients

• 1/3 cup butter (or cooking oil)
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 3 cups water
  • 12 ounces smoked sausage links, cooked and cut into pieces
  • 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or thighs), cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut okra
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 3 cups rice, cooked
  • Directions

1. In a heavy sauce pot over medium high heat, melt the butter (or heat the oil) and stir in the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, until the roux is fully mixed and turns light brown, about five minutes.
    2. Pour water into crockpot and stir in roux; mix well. Add the sausage, chicken, okra, onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
    3. Cover and cook on low heat for six to eight hours or on high setting for three to four hours. Skim off fat and serve over cooked rice.

Hope Your Weekend's Great,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    2/26/2011 7:21:36 PM

Hello My Friends,

This Crock Pot Beef Brisket recipe is a real keeper. Although there is a plain beef brisket which you can purchase and cook the same way, I happen to prefer a "Corned" Brisket of Beef. Slow cooking is essential for making this one-of-many beef brisket recipes so very tender.

The biggest secret to the great success of this slow cooker beef brisket is in the slicing. If you'll notice the top of the meat, you'll find what is called the "grain" of the meat. It's nothing more than lines running from one part of the meat to the other. When you're slicing, be sure to slice in the opposite direction from the grain, in other words,across the grain. For my crock pot beef brisket, I originally was going to make the "flat cut," but the only cut available was the "point cut." I was actually very happy with the results of this cut, also. Following the instructions above, I had all the makings of a wonderful Sunday dinner just last week, and this Crock Pot Beef Brisket will also be featured at the Dinner that I'll be serving this coming St. Patrick's Day.

Crock Pot Beef Brisket

Ingredients

1 corned beef brisket
    1 quart apple juice
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared mustard

If there's still room in your crock pot, you could add the following or cook the vegetables separately in some of the juice from the crock pot about an hour or so before the brisket is done to give everything that special flavor.(See Note Below:)

8 small red potatoes (If cooking separately, you could add more if you choose.)
    2 medium carrots, pared and cut into chunks (or as many servings as you need).
    1 or two onions, peeled and cut into eighths
    1/2 head cabbage, cut ito chunks (or more cabbage, if you choose).

Note: I have quite a large crock pot but there was no way I could fit the amount of vegetables I needed to cook in there. The stove method came out just fine with the juice from the meat in the crock pot. In a large stockpot, I cooked enough veggies for that meal, and the next day. You might give the carrots a head start with the onions, then the potatoes, and finally the chunks of cabbage.

Directions

Whisk together the apple juice, brown sugar, and prepared mustard in a large bowl. Put the brisket into the crock pot, and pour the above mixture over it. Add your vegetables to the crock pot if they will fit. Cook for 8 to 10 hours on low.

When the brisket is thoroughly cooked, and the vegetables are finished cooking to your liking (using the crock pot or stove-top method), remove the meat and let it rest for about 10 minutes. Keep it nice and warm by covering it with some tin foil.

Meanwhile, put your vegetables in a large serving bowl with a little bit of the tasty juices and keep them hot. If you choose, you can thicken some of the juices from the crockpot to serve over the dinner. However, just "as is," with a little juice is deliciously fine.

Have A Terrific Saturday My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    2/27/2011 6:30:27 PM

Hello My Friends,

This might just add a little more Spice to your life. Enjoy a flavorful slow cooked dinner of Chicken, Bacon and Vegetables served over rice. Perfect if you love Cajun cuisine just as much as I do.

Slow Cooker Cajun-Seasoned Chicken

3 slices bacon, cut up
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped celery
    1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
    2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
    1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 1/3 cups uncooked regular long-grain white rice
    2 2/3 cups water

Print these coupons...
    About Concordance™

1. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Add bell pepper, onion and celery; cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until crisp-tender. With slotted spoon, spoon bacon and vegetables into 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker.
    2. Sprinkle chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning; place in same skillet. Cook chicken 4 to 5 minutes, turning once, until browned on both sides. Arrange chicken and any remaining drippings over vegetables in slow cooker. Pour tomatoes over chicken. Stir in remaining teaspoon Cajun seasoning.
    3. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 8 to 9 hours.
    4. About 30 minutes before serving time, cook rice in water as directed on package. Serve chicken and sauce over rice.

Have A Wonderful Weekend,

Phil

+0
    La Nell !

3647 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    2/28/2011 11:27:19 PM
    Hi Phil, Thank you for the Louisiana Chicken and Sausage Gumbo and the Cajun Chicken recipes. I will try it! Yummy! Cheers, LaNell
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!