Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
3/1/2011 1:57:03 AM

Hi LaNell,

So glad that you liked the Gumbo. I can honestly say that to this day, I still miss my first Mother-in-Law, 'cause Lordy that woman sur'nuff could cook Louisiana Style.

For this next dish, we'll shift gears just a little. Beef cubes and some bar-b-que beans combine quickly in this hearty and tasty slow cooked meal. No need to brown the meat makes this extra easy for the working mom. Great with either cornbread or maybe some Brown Bread, like the Recipe that follows, and a cold beer.

Chuckwagon Stew

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
  • 1/2 pound smoked sausage of your choice, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
  • 1 (28 ounce) can barbeque baked beans

Directions

1. Place the beef stew meat, sausage, onion, and potatoes into a slow cooker, and stir to distribute evenly. Spoon the baked beans evenly over the mixture. Cover, and cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, or cook on High for 4 to 5 hours.

This is an excellent whole wheat raisin bread recipe that doesn't need hardly any ingredients. Great with the Stew!

Boston Brown Bread

Ingredients

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup molasses
  • 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 2/3 cup raisins

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt. Mix in molasses and buttermilk. Stir in raisins or currants. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  3. Bake for 1 hour in the preheated oven, or until a tester inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.

Have A Wonderful Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/1/2011 9:51:54 PM

Hello My Friends,

Since I seem to have been on a Cajun trend the past few days, I had a request for Jambalaya. There's really no need to slave over the stove to prepare a delicious Jambalaya. Just toss the chicken, sausage, shrimp, vegetables, and seasonings in the slow cooker, and forget about it until dinner time. My family and friends like this version the best. Serve over cooked rice.

Slow Cooker Jambalaya

Ingredients

• 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
  • 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 pound frozen cooked shrimp without tails

Directions

1. In a slow cooker, mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes with juice, onion, green bell pepper, celery, and broth. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper, and thyme.
  2. Cover, and cook 7 to 8 hours on Low, or 3 to 4 hours on High. Stir in the shrimp during the last 30 minutes of cook time.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
3/1/2011 10:09:34 PM

Phil that looks and sounds delicious. I have always wanted some authentic Cajun food and living that close to Louisiana I never did get any. I simply love seafood.

We get some frozen fish and shrimp here that is a good substitute but not the same as fresh.

Thanks,

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/2/2011 10:43:17 PM

Hi Sara,

Yes, I must say that I was very fortunate when I found my first wife Brenda, along with with a Mother-in-Law like Ginny, who had spent so much time down in New Orleans, and who could prepare all of those good Creole Dishes. Can't say that I really miss my first wife, but I really do miss her Mother's cooking.

Of course, I don't get down for Mardi Gras like I used to. First of all, with my health the way it is, and then again, it's just not the same since Katrina. Fat Tuesday's on March 8th this year, so I know that I won't be able to get down this year, but I think that it's somewhere around the 20th or 21st of February next year, so the Good Lord willing, I'll try to make it again next year.

As you know, I do love my Seafood, and we're fortunate to have Todd's Seafood right here in Thomasville, only about a mile or two from my house, so it's always so fresh that you might swear you can hear the Ocean in the background. The Shrimp and the Scallops have been great so far this year, but I haven't been too happy with the Oysters.

Well, I'm getting hungry, so let's see if we can't whip something up, at least for tomorrow anyway. Since it's late, I assume I'm going to have to go over to Captain Tom's Seafood tonight, and let someone else do the cooking. Anyway, back to the Recipes...

Louisianna Chicken Creole

Ingredients:

3 pounds chicken thighs
1 cup celery, diced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 can sliced mushrooms
1 can tomatoes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
salt & pepper to taste
Louisiana hot sauce to taste
2 cups minute rice, cooked

Directions:

Place chicken in bottom of crockpot. Combine remaining ingredients (except rice) & add to crockpot. Cook on high 4 to 5 hours or on low 7-8 hrs. Cook rice according to package direction. Spoon Creole Chicken over hot cooked rice.

By the way, I get many, if not most, of my favorite Hot Sauces at Peppers.com, including my favorite, Slap Ya Mama Sauce. Just click on the little Pepper below to go there for a visit...

Have A Happy Week My Friend,

Phil

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/3/2011 11:42:52 PM

Hello My Friends,

It's still chilly enough outside that we can still use a little something spicy to warm us up inside. The slow cooker is a great way to make chili. This beefy chili is packed with beans, veggies, and spice.

Slow Cooker Chili

Ingredients

• 1 pound ground beef
  • 3/4 cup diced onion
  • 3/4 cup diced celery
  • 3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 (10.75 ounce) cans tomato puree
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans with liquid
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans with liquid
  • 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce

Directions

1. Place the beef in a skillet over medium heat, and cook until evenly brown. Drain grease.
  2. Place the beef in a slow cooker, and mix in onion, celery, green bell pepper, garlic, tomato puree, kidney beans, and cannellini beans. Season with chili powder, parsley, salt, basil, oregano, black pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
  3. Cover, and cook 8 hours on Low.

Perfect with your Chili, try this new spicy twist on cornbread. Very rich and flavorful with a crisp topping of cheese.

Mexican Style Cornbread

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup corn oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 (8 ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square baking dish or a cast iron skillet.
  2. In a small bowl, beat eggs. Mix in corn oil and buttermilk. Stir in 1 cup shredded cheese, creamed corn, onion, and jalapenos.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top.
  4. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until center is set and top is golden brown.

Have A Hot & Spicy Evening My Friends,

Phil

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!